Midsize Truck Comparison: Ranger vs Tacoma, Gladiator, Colorado, Canyon, Frontier

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
What is weird is my trip meter says 21.x and my hand calculations are all within .5 of the number on the dash, so there must be some speed/load condition that the truck is mis-reading.
Have you checked the mileage on the MPG meter to the mileage on the odometer? On my Accord they are slightly different, which accounts for some discrepancy in the MPG calculated by the computer.

One thing that seems very apparent is that these engines MPG is wildly variable - I'm guessing it has to do with how often you spool up the turbo.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
What is weird is my trip meter says 21.x and my hand calculations are all within .5 of the number on the dash, so there must be some speed/load condition that the truck is mis-reading.
Their testing procedure for getting "the same fill" by popping a couple of gallons into the tank and then pushing in "a little bit more" is just bogus. I have far more confidence in the dash number than the repeatability of their process.

Although, I am also curious how much the air dam delete on the FX4 costs at highway speed. That's not reflected in the EPA numbers at all.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Their testing procedure for getting "the same fill" by popping a couple of gallons into the tank and then pushing in "a little bit more" is just bogus. I have far more confidence in the dash number than the repeatability of their process.

Although, I am also curious how much the air dam delete on the FX4 costs at highway speed. That's not reflected in the EPA numbers at all.
This has always been my issue with manually calculating MPG; with the auto pump shut off and extra capacity in the filler neck, it's difficult to get an accurate reading.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
This has always been my issue with manually calculating MPG; with the auto pump shut off and extra capacity in the filler neck, it's difficult to get an accurate reading.
Over thousands of miles the noise should cancel out, but for a tiny fill like this it's nuts.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
My hand calculation for the first tank was 21.49 and the trip said 21. A good mix of stops and go traffic with city.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Over thousands of miles the noise should cancel out, but for a tiny fill like this it's nuts.
Agree. Their test route was only 98 miles. To get an accurate hand calculated MPG you need to average the results over numerous tank fulls.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
interesting. in order to get the highest possible towing from a gladiator. you have to get the lowest trim sport. and spend $$ on better cooling, gears and biggest axles. just for an extra 150 more than what the ranger is rated at.pricing is highest than the ranger. and one thing about jeeps is that they charge for any additional add on. So why would anyone spend that much on a midsized gladiator when you can get a nicely equipped F150

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
interesting. in order to get the highest possible towing from a gladiator. you have to get the lowest trim sport. and spend $$ on better cooling, gears and biggest axles. just for an extra 150 more than what the ranger is rated at.pricing is highest than the ranger. and one thing about jeeps is that they charge for any additional add on. So why would anyone spend that much on a midsized gladiator when you can get a nicely equipped F150
I knew they were going to be expensive, but WOW. People have made the argument about the Rangers being so expensive why not by an F-150 - the Gladiator just makes that argument stronger. It seems like these are really being targeted at the Jeep faithful. I can't see them making significant inroads to the market.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I knew they were going to be expensive, but WOW. People have made the argument about the Rangers being so expensive why not by an F-150 - the Gladiator just makes that argument stronger. It seems like these are really being targeted at the Jeep faithful. I can't see them making significant inroads to the market.
totally forgot about the not so good fuel mileage. full sized F150 get better mileage with more toeing.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I see no reason to compare the Gladiator to a full-size as they are in different classes. Like comparing the Ranger to a full-size Ram, it's apples to oranges. The Ram offers tons more capability for a much lower price due to rebates and discount pricing, but they are two different purposed vehicles. In all fairness to my comments below, I believe the F150 is a much better built truck than the Ram and gets superior real world fuel economy. However, the Gladiator beats the Ranger for the outdoor enthusiast. The Ranger is the better commuter option and a better value in 2wd configurations. I believe Ford is putting all their energy towards the 6G and Bronco due out in less than two years.

I can get a JT Sport S crew 4x4 with power all around, technology upgrade, auto, hardtop, rear A/C vents and rear USB ports, max tow 4:10 gears, five coil link rear suspension (from Ram), standard Dana 44s front and rear, a back seat that actually folds up for flat floor or down for flat cargo storage, class leading rear leg room, $250 spray in liner, trailer brakes, class leading payload and towing for a 4x4, right at 42k MSRP and it only gets 2 mpg per gallon less average than the Ranger. Additionally, many Jeep dealers are offering between 1% and 6% below invoice pricing for orders. So, I will build and get all that for around 38k before TT&L. For comparison, the Ranger XLT crew 4x4, tow package, offroad, and technology packages is over 40k and selling for 38k. No brainer to get the JT if you are looking for an outdoor truck vrs a commuter IMO.

Last edited:

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I see no reason to compare the Gladiator to a full-size as they are in different classes. Like comparing the Ranger to a full-size Ram, it's apples to oranges. The Ram offers tons more capability for a much lower price due to rebates and discount pricing, but they are two different purposed vehicles. In all fairness to my comments below, I believe the F150 is a much better built truck than the Ram and gets superior real world fuel economy. However, the Gladiator beats the Ranger for the outdoor enthusiast. The Ranger is the better commuter option and a better value in 2wd configurations. I believe Ford is putting all their energy towards the 6G and Bronco due out in less than two years.

I can get a JT Sport S crew 4x4 with power all around, technology upgrade, auto, hardtop, rear A/C vents, max tow 4:10 gears, five coil link rear suspension (from Ram), standard Dana 44s front and rear, a back seat that actually folds up for flat floor or down for flat cargo storage, class leading rear leg room, $250 spray in liner, trailer brakes, class leading payload and towing for a 4x4, right at 42k MSRP and it only gets 2 mpg per gallon less average than the Ranger. Additionally, many Jeep dealers are offering between 1% and 6% below invoice pricing for orders. So, I will build and get all that for around 38k before TT&L. For comparison, the Ranger XLT crew 4x4, tow package, offroad, and technology packages is over 40k and selling for 38k. No brainer to get the JT if you are looking for an outdoor truck vrs a commuter IMO.
I agree. If you are looking for the most capable and fun outdoors truck and don’t mind the safety/quality/comfort/handling issues the Jeep will be great. It probably won’t be much fun to drive TO the off-road trails if it’s a couple hours away but will be great when you get there. I don’t think the current Ranger is really gunning for that title. I think the Ranger is the best all-arounder. And also quite a good platform if you are going to modify it for off-roading to suit your terrain. The Colorado ZR2 or Z71 once they have the mid cycle refresh might be really good off-road stock trucks to consider too. Good on and off road. I think the comfort and drivetrain problems for the Tacoma but it at a disadvantage until they refresh.

Update: tfljust did an off-road compare
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/20...s-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-off-road-truck-guide/

Last edited:

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
class leading payload and towing for a 4x4
I’d love to watch someone tow 7,500lbs with that 3.6 Chrysler turd. Look, I’ve had so many Jeeps it’s not even practical. I love them, but I’d be the first to say never take their towing capacity seriously. 260 torque? My 2 door hatchback nearly has that doubled.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
I’d love to watch someone tow 7,500lbs with that 3.6 Chrysler turd. Look, I’ve had so many Jeeps it’s not even practical. I love them, but I’d be the first to say never take their towing capacity seriously. 260 torque? My 2 door hatchback nearly has that doubled.
I’m Looking forward to seeing how it does in the TFL tow tests. I think the longer wheelbase/truck length and the largest disc brakes in the segment will help. One of the TFL guys did a short tow test with around 6500 lbs on flat ground and it did fine. Fortunately my towing is mostly flat ground in the south. I think the 3.6 will struggle on any decent elevation and the Ike gauntlet test will be rough. If torque is important to a buyer the 3.0 diesel will have 442 lb-ft of torque. Personally, I wouldn’t tow over 5k on a regular basis with any of the midsize trucks. The F150 with the 3.5 eco or power stroke (440 lb-ft) or the new Silverado with the in-line 6 turbo diesel (460 lb-ft) will crush any midsize towing.
Sponsored