Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
An interesting competitor for the SUV market will be launched in 2019 and on sale in 2020, and Ford used to own it ... Land Rover is bringing back the Defender.

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/12/new-land-rover-defender-announced/

It’s official — the 2020 Land Rover Defender is coming. Yes, it is the 2020 Land Rover Defender, meaning it will be revealed in 2019 and go on sale in 2020. Kim McCullough, Land Rover’s North American VP of Marketing, announced the new Defender would undergo testing next January in North America, prior to its 2020 launch date.

In testing the 2020 Land Rover Defender, engineers plan to subject the vehicle to on- and off-road tests at high elevation, as well as extreme temperatures ranging from -40 to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the company’s release. Apart from the testing regimen and statements this will be the most capable Land Rover yet, we don’t have too much official information yet. No word on powertrains, pricing, nor do we have un-camouflaged photos at this point. However, these give us a much better idea of what the new model will look like, and we can infer a few different points from its reveal.

The good? The 2020 Land Rover Defender retains the boxy shape that made the previous model an icon of the brand. This particular prototype is a four-door model — naturally aligning the Defender with the rest of the brand’s lineup. There will almost certainly be a two-door version, but whether we’ll get it in the U.S. isn’t a dead lock just yet.

One controversial point of the 2020 Land Rover Defender is its suspension. In the spy shots we’ve seen as well as Land Rover’s official media, it seems the Defender has dropped its solid-axle suspension for a fully independent setup. If that makes it through to production, that will likely turn off some die-hard off-roading and Defender enthusiasts. We’ll know more about the 2020 Land Rover Defender in the coming months as we get closer to its reveal. Land Rover did not officially announce a reveal date just yet, but we know it will be sometime in 2019.

Back when Ford owned Land Rover the Defender had solid axles, but this new one appears to be sporting fully independent suspension, and a unibody instead of its traditional body-on-frame as well. One way I don't really expect the Defender to compete with the Bronco is on the price/market segment -- Land Rovers tend to be aimed at luxury brand buyers, and this Defender will probably arrive at double the sticker price of the Bronco.

https://www.motor1.com/news/298998/land-rover-defender-coming-america/

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
hahah! Agreed!

Bronco Logic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 King Ranch, 96 White Sport, 76 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I dont see it being the slightest competitor. Nothing RR/LR makes is a direct competitor the Wrangler/Bronco segment. In my eyes, all they share is the same acronym....(SUV/MPV).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont see it being the slightest competitor. Nothing RR/LR makes is a direct competitor the Wrangler/Bronco segment. In my eyes, all they share is the same acronym....(SUV/MPV).
Right now and for quite some time, there has been only one 2-Door SUV (in NA), the Wrangler. In a year or so there will be 2 more. It's a segment of the auto industry that was written off as dead.

Direct competition, obviously not. No more than the Mecedes-Benz X-Class pickup competes with the Ranger, but they are both obviously smallish pickups.

You can expect some comparisons for the Wrangler/Bronco and Defender though, because it is still a very small segment. Most of them will never be driven offroad, and for their respective price segment you can expect the manufacturers/dealers to upsell as much as possible. None of these are remotely a rough and tumble utility vehicle anymore, even though that is where they all started -- they are all luxury barges compared to a Willys or Roxor -- they have far more in common with each other than with their common ancestor.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Unless that top comes off, a non-starter.

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep, there are a few negatives in my eyes, too. Like those normal tarmac tyres :giggle:, come on, really most capable Land Rover, yet ???? with those tyres. At least the Ranger Raptor was planned / tested from the start with the 33" BFGs and they are sold with those tyres. I bet the Ranger Raptor can be close in capabilities with the coming Defender, even if the Defender has better approach / departure angles. Yeah maybe the Defender engine specs will be set for capability, and probably a bunch of electronic controls.
But then again, look at the Suzuki Jimny with 1.5 L 100 HP about 100 lbft torque I think it will dance around the Defender in off-road :rockon:. The Jimny was also tested with tarmac tyres during development and it does some crazy shit out there. And when you put some offroad tyres on it is even more capable.
Last but not least the Troller is also sold with BFG A/Ts as standard, or you can choose M/Ts as an option, paired with 51 / 30 / 51 approach / brakeover / departure angles and the 3.2 L inline5 Ford Duratorq my guess is that the Defender can not stand the chance :giggle:.
I just really hope the Bronco is also planned/ tested by Ford with at least the same 33" BFGs as the Ranger Raptor. In my opinion on the mule spyshots those seem to be the same tyres :wink:

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
oh and I forgot about the non solid axle suspensions front / rear :blush: so this legend remains a legend is not resurrected in my opinion :lipssealed:

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It really seems to me like they've gone out of their way to make the body panels sharply angular. A very different design approach than Land Rover has taken with the Discovery or Evoque, and in some regards directly mimicking the design philosophy of the Mercedes G-Wagen -- though I suspect the actual off road hardware of the G-Wagen will far exceed the Defender.
Sponsored