Things I feel are missing/or needed on a Ranger

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I do think it is kind of a ridiculous jab - however after seeing it in person, it is a really nice feature. It is not a must have for me, but a nice to have - kind of like power folding mirrors.
For me it's one more thing to break, a PITA waiting for a damper when it's cold out, and useless since I already need to be touching the tailgate to open it. If it were an auto open/close tailgate then it would be functional. Folding mirrors, on the other hand, actually offer a functional improvement: folding both mirrors down before entering a tight space (e.g., on a trail or in a garage) is not necessarily easy or safe without a power assist.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
For me it's one more thing to break, a PITA waiting for a damper when it's cold out, and useless since I already need to be touching the tailgate to open it. If it were an auto open/close tailgate then it would be functional. Folding mirrors, on the other hand, actually offer a functional improvement: folding both mirrors down before entering a tight space (e.g., on a trail or in a garage) is not necessarily easy or safe without a power assist.
I've lived without power folding mirrors on my current ranger for 14 years - In fact, I don't think I've ever folded them manually - they have gotten folded by hitting branches a couple of times, though :)

I get what you are saying though. More features, more things to break. My mechanic told me 10 or 15 years ago most of his business was real "fixes" (the car wasn't running or not running well, etc). He said that now over 50% of his work is other stuff (power windows, door locks, etc). Stuff that isn't really critical for transportation - just convenience.

What was it that Scotty from Star Trek said? Something like "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain"? :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I'm with you regarding the damper. I seriously laugh at some of these reviews talking about a heavy tailgate. I can lift it easily, literally with the point of my finger. It almost feels too light.

I get that people can come up with a few excuses/examples how a damper can be a good thing, but none apply to me. I want my truck as simple as possible but even at that, they are wayyy to complex for my taste. I don't want/need heated steering wheel, heated seats, folding mirrors, power seats (rather pull a lever for back/forth, up/down, recline), auto anything. I probably should have just gotten a bare-bones Ranger then spent the money to upgrade, but that's never a winning proposition when it comes to resale and not convinced this is a long-term buy and hold. Probably end up selling this truck before the warranty runs out. Maybe I'll walk that talk on the next truck purchase. :)

Bob Larimore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue Lariat Ranger
Occupation
USMC Retired, Ford Transporter driver.
Vehicle Showcase
So after reading a bunch of the wish list mine would be:
Since the F150 crew cab has a 5 1/2 foot bed, would it be feasible to stretch the Ranger 6 inches and put a 5 1/2 foot bed on the crew cab and a 6 1/2 foot bed on the super cab? Seems like a reasonable compromise and puts it on par with the F150 5 1/2 foot bed. I don't hear very many complaints about the F150 having a 5.5 bed, just saying! Not to mention it would become class leading!
Do something better with the Crew Cab rear seat, heck the Escape rear seat is far more flexible?
Add a integrated brake controller to the Tow Package, important to stop the 7500lbs. trailer.
add a damper to the tail gate, yes it is a very light tailgate, but when hands are full a damper would be nice.
Give it a 6 cylinder option for those that want one.
Offer a platinum trim level with all of the bells and whistles!!!!
Make a super cab work truck trim option with the 2.0 eco boost, better fuel numbers and a lower price for those utility companies that keep buying frontiers and Colorado/canyons. I had a 2.0 in my 4200lbs Edge and it moved it just fine with over 30 hwy mpg. the super cab is right around that weight.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
My wants are more in the line of improving what is already there. I dig the truck as-is, but a couple additions would be cool:

Better HVAC controls. Buttons are way too small to use when wearing winter / work gloves and I can't use the climate controls on the screen when wearing gloves either. That being said, I can barely use the steering wheel controls when wearing gloves as well. It is "gloves" weather for a good 4-5 months out of the year here.

More of a minor personal pet peeve: Redesign the steering wheel. I like to rest my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and the way the spokes are designed only allow for two fingers to fit down at the 6 o'clock position.

Charging pad & wireless CarPlay. Everyone has a smartphone these days, I think catering to that is a big selling point. My phone supports wireless charging, but I can't use Carplay without it begin plugged in. So even if the Ranger did have wireless charging, I wouldn't use it with wireless CarPlay.

More bed options. A couple power ports, 12v and 110 should be at least an option.

Pillar-integrated keypad. Like is available on most other Ford products. The Ranger only gets the stick on keypad wart.

More accessories. This truck has been out for years. There should have been more accessories available at launch.

USB port in the dashtop cubby. Perfect place to throw a device, I'm actually considering putting one there myself.

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to see the same rear seating arrangement as the Tacoma. Both sides fold FLAT and have bed material on the back of the seats making for an extra cargo area inside the truck. Fords seat arrangement is terrible for those of us who never need back seats,

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I would like to see the same rear seating arrangement as the Tacoma. Both sides fold FLAT and have bed material on the back of the seats making for an extra cargo area inside the truck. Fords seat arrangement is terrible for those of us who never need back seats,
+1

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
More of a minor personal pet peeve: Redesign the steering wheel. I like to rest my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and the way the spokes are designed only allow for two fingers to fit down at the 6 o'clock position.
:clap: I figured I was the only one that noticed this.

I want a rubber mat in the dash top storage area too... like is in my Super Duty, so my sunglasses and phone don't slide around. Also easier to take out and clean.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Memory buttons for seat and mirrors. This should have been standard on a Lariat.

The wife used my truck yesterday for the first time and I had to put everything back to where I want it. :(

I had memory buttons and A/C cooled seats in my 2003 Expedition. WTF?

blackc2004

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 1978 Ford Bronco; 1971 Ford Torino
Hi All! I'm sure everything I have to add has already been covered, but wanted to give my 2 cents. I picked up my Ranger yesterday and put 100 miles on it already. I traded in a 2016 Infiniti QX60.

• Seat/Mirror memory
  • FULLY electric seats
  • Bigger arm rest/more storage/trays in the arm rest
  • Lay flat back seats
  • SMALLER KEY FOB!
Honestly, for $45,000 it should have all the same amenities as a "luxury" vehicle.

kjbeggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4
Agreed on the Seat memory.
Had a BMW that remembered seat/mirror settings for each driver and i dearly miss that feature.

Also agree on the Fold flat back seat. My dogs would be happier.

The one thing I miss most from my Jeep though (after two days), is the row of "buttons" for your favorite contacts in the center dash screen
Sponsored