First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Nickp - Yep, that post from Carmaker1 was interesting for sure. In particular, I was curious that CM1 mentioned "V6" (I'm assuming an EcoBoost of some kind) and "getrag manual" (which brings attention to that 7 speed manual rumor Jalopnik posted awhile back). That would be fantastic news (especially having the V6 paired with the stick). My concern is that it seemed like too much information for a rep to share at this point, so I'm cautious. Did your source confirm those two items specifically?

Edit: And I will note that I will still be very cautious even if your source does confirm the V6/manual are true. But that doesn't mean I won't consider any further info. :)
He wouldn’t comment on: Manual, removable top/doors, suspension.
Sponsored

mikonrad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fiesta SFE, Toyota Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He wouldn’t comment on: Manual, removable top/doors, suspension.
Fair enough, thanks. Good to know that your source didn't conflict with CM1's post - which seems the most legit info I've seen on the timeline, target date, and latest status of the Bronco.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking for something else, I came across this quote from the 2017 Detroit auto show ...

Hinrichs described the Bronco's return as a response to "a passionate group of people who want a modern version of one of the best-known and best-loved 4-by-4 nameplates in automotive history.

"This is a no-compromise, midsize, 4-by-4 utility for the thrill-seekers who want freedom and off-road functionality with the space and versatility of an SUV," Hinrichs said. "The Bronco is capable of conquering everything from your daily commute to gravel roads and boulders."

I don't think I've seen this one before. It would suggest this frankenRanger is only showing us part of what Bronco should be capable of.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...rd-bronco-ranger-truck-fields-naias/96336466/

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would suggest this frankenRanger is only showing us part of what Bronco should be capable of.
Hopefully that's the case. I found it odd they weren't covering the front at all. I'm still surprised we haven't seen more testing and mules yet. Ford is really trying hard to keep things secret. I sure hope they test them well and it doesn't suffer from first year production issues. Because I'll be gambling with that. I'm not waiting another year for them to iron out issues.

mikonrad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking for something else, I came across this quote from the 2017 Detroit auto show ...

Hinrichs described the Bronco's return as a response to "a passionate group of people who want a modern version of one of the best-known and best-loved 4-by-4 nameplates in automotive history.

"This is a no-compromise, midsize, 4-by-4 utility for the thrill-seekers who want freedom and off-road functionality with the space and versatility of an SUV," Hinrichs said. "The Bronco is capable of conquering everything from your daily commute to gravel roads and boulders."

I don't think I've seen this one before. It would suggest this frankenRanger is only showing us part of what Bronco should be capable of.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...rd-bronco-ranger-truck-fields-naias/96336466/
Ha, I JUST watched this announcement (the actual video) on the BroncoG6 YouTube channel a couple days ago because I was curious about the initial announcement (I haven't actually checked it out before).

After watching the video, I was really caught by the language. Granted, it was general-ish with no real explanations but Ford was specific enough with comments of "no compromise 4x4", etc.. IMO, Ford was putting themselves out there - almost painting themselves in a corner, in a good way. They know what they said, and clearly know what people want/expect.

I understand that the initial announcement isn't designed to say much but it's a pretty definite trajectory Ford made here.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha, I JUST watched this announcement (the actual video) on the BroncoG6 YouTube channel a couple days ago because I was curious about the initial announcement (I haven't actually checked it out before).

After watching the video, I was really caught by the language. Granted, it was general-ish with no real explanations but Ford was specific enough with comments of "no compromise 4x4", etc.. IMO, Ford was putting themselves out there - almost painting themselves in a corner, in a good way. They know what they said, and clearly know what people want/expect.

I understand that the initial announcement isn't designed to say much but it's a pretty definite trajectory Ford made here.
Ah, of course. I've seen it several times, but wasn't paying such close attention to the specific wording. It does seem unlikely that it would have totally changed course since that announcement, so midsize, and a significant level of off road prowess with a real 4x4 system are more or less locked in (ha, pun).

Farley's quote about Bronco taking a different approach than Wrangler was from a year or so later though.

Ford president Jim Farley, who oversees the company's global markets, said the Bronco and unnamed ute will be fundamentally different than the Jeep Wrangler, following a strategy of vehicles that are comfortable at high speeds, in the sand and on two-lane trails.

"For Jeep, that's rock crawling in Moab, for Ford, that's something different," he said. "[Ford customers] don't want something that looks like a doomsday vehicle."

The two quotes seem contradictory in regard to the level of off road prowess they're aiming for. Farley's Bronco doesn't sound any more capable than a golf cart, but the one Hinrichs describes sounds like proper competition for the Wrangler.

This is so frustrating ... I really wish Ford would stop being so ******* coy about the fundamental design properties and intent for Bronco. Trying to decipher meaning from vague qualitative crumbs of information from years ago is getting really old ...

mikonrad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah, of course. I've seen it several times, but wasn't paying such close attention to the specific wording. It does seem unlikely that it would have totally changed course since that announcement, so midsize, and a significant level of off road prowess with a real 4x4 system are more or less locked in (ha, pun).

Farley's quote about Bronco taking a different approach than Wrangler was from a year or so later though.

Ford president Jim Farley, who oversees the company's global markets, said the Bronco and unnamed ute will be fundamentally different than the Jeep Wrangler, following a strategy of vehicles that are comfortable at high speeds, in the sand and on two-lane trails.

"For Jeep, that's rock crawling in Moab, for Ford, that's something different," he said. "[Ford customers] don't want something that looks like a doomsday vehicle."

The two quotes seem contradictory in regard to the level of off road prowess they're aiming for. Farley's Bronco doesn't sound any more capable than a golf cart, but the one Hinrichs describes sounds like proper competition for the Wrangler.

This is so frustrating ... I really wish Ford would stop being so ******* coy about the fundamental design properties and intent for Bronco. Trying to decipher meaning from vague qualitative crumbs of information from years ago is getting really old ...
You had to bring up that Farley quote. :) There's interpretation we're not privy to I suppose. If I had to bet, the Hinrichs quote is probably the most careful seeing it's the official reveal and all the prep/timing that went into it. I think the Farley quote was a press conference, if I'm not mistaken which may not carry the same weight. But, there's a possibility something changed since reveal to the Farley quote (like you implied)?

We shouldn't have to depend on poking our sources but here we are... Any more-in-the-know-folks got an interpretation? :)

IMO, a cage match between Hinrichs and Farley would settle this issue and so much more, probably.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
frankenRanger is on its way somewhere ...

Ford-Bronco-spied-2.jpg

eta: I didn't notice on my phone, but it looks like the rear fender has been chopped up some more ... maybe it needed room to move around doing some articulation testing?

Is it just some weird optical illusion, or are the front and rear tires not the same size?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We've only seen one wheelbase here in the US, but the more I looked at this it became clear they might be two separate machines. The box/topper didn't exactly match between the photos, and the pattern of spots certainly didn't. They could have removed a wrap, done some shop work and re-wrapped it, but its hard to say.

We have seen two different wheelbases, in Australia, but the photos available of the shorter one aren't very informative given the distance and angle:

mules AUS ford-bronco.jpg

Interestingly, these were sporting the same sort of "Left Hand Drive" sign that the one recently spotted in Texas had. It's possible the 'new' one came from AUS and is carrying a later version of the chassis -- since that is where the chassis is said to be being developed, while the 'top hat' (body) gets developed here in the US. Who knows, maybe this hypothetical "new chassis" mule is actually capable of carrying the Bronco body and we'll see something other than frankenRangers in the near future.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is it just some weird optical illusion, or are the front and rear tires not the same size?
I noticed that in the video I watched earlier, but dismissed it as an optical illusion. Seeing the pic on the trailer leads me to believe they are, in fact, different sizes.

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed that in the video I watched earlier, but dismissed it as an optical illusion. Seeing the pic on the trailer leads me to believe they are, in fact, different sizes.
I doubt it can even turn, let alone articulate, with so much tire jammed in that little wheel well.

The straps appear relatively loose, yet there is an awful lot of rake to it ... almost as if the front axle is supposed to be positioned lower in order for the frame rails to be level.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We've only seen one wheelbase here in the US, but the more I looked at this it became clear they might be two separate machines. The box/topper didn't exactly match between the photos, and the pattern of spots certainly didn't. They could have removed a wrap, done some shop work and re-wrapped it, but its hard to say.

We have seen two different wheelbases, in Australia, but the photos available of the shorter one aren't very informative given the distance and angle:

mules AUS ford-bronco.jpg

Interestingly, these were sporting the same sort of "Left Hand Drive" sign that the one recently spotted in Texas had. It's possible the 'new' one came from AUS and is carrying a later version of the chassis -- since that is where the chassis is said to be being developed, while the 'top hat' (body) gets developed here in the US. Who knows, maybe this hypothetical "new chassis" mule is actually capable of carrying the Bronco body and we'll see something other than frankenRangers in the near future.
The one on the right looks like a regular cab FrankenRanger definitely a shorter wheel base

OP
OP
Stampede.Offroad

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They're just messing with us now ... this time they put a hacked up Colorado body on it ...

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/12/2020-ford-bronco-everest-suspension-spy-shots/#slide-2152730

Colorado JUL-12 2020-ford-bronco-swb-5-copy.jpg

Colorado JUL-12 2020-ford-bronco-swb-18-copy.jpg

Colorado JUL-12 2020-ford-bronco-swb-20-copy.jpg

Colorado JUL-12 2020-ford-bronco-swb-22-copy.jpg

Not sure if this one is more or less ugly ... o_O

eta: Some other outlets suggest the possibility that its a Courier test mule, but it would seem oversized and high set for that.

Higher resolution images here http://fordauthority.com/2019/07/this-alleged-ford-courier-mule-looks-more-like-a-bronco/
Sponsored

Last edited: