First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's the whole package that is innovative.

5 tenths faster (maybe more) in the 1/4 than Camaro, but have more downforce (and won't have to use aluminum pucks in suspension for craploads of NVH and zero ride quality).
Bigger brakes than ZR1, for 50 grand less.
Absolute domination on road course over any "domestic" from Italy and within 5% power with 17% less engine cubes.

I guess you probably think this thing I built (for 9$ in 4 hours BTW, wood was left over from pole barn build) to install lighting on 14 foot high ceilings and clean out gutters that high (all over pretty rough terrain since I had no floor in pole barn yet) is just a "wooden step stool", so not really innovative?

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg
That step is pretty cool, but it’s cool because you probably weren’t able to find what you needed already being sold, so you came up with an idea and put forth the effort to make it. THAT’S innovation

Bolting a bunch of crap that your competitors have had for 4 years now onto a 5 year old car? Not innovative

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bolting a bunch of crap that your competitors have had for 4 years now onto a 5 year old car? Not innovative
Preprare to be highly dissappointed in the new bronco "innovativeness" then.........

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Preprare to be highly dissappointed in the new bronco "innovativeness" then.........
What do you mean? It’s set up to get a new hybrid system, manual transmission, stowable removable doors, and it’s on the new T6 platform not the old.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What do you mean? It’s set up to get a new hybrid system, manual transmission, stowable removable doors, and it’s on the new T6 platform not the old.
According to Jake, if a competitor already has that stuff (jeep has mild hybrid, man trans, and removable doors), not innovative............

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did they specify a "new" hybrid system? I may have missed that presser. I saw a patent for removable, stowable doors, not sure I saw confirmation of it being used on the Bronco (though it is a safe bet). Jeep has a manual transmission, and a frame - nothing innovative there.

Now, if they make a hybrid system that is revolutionary and off-road centric...

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With so many other new design and mechanical elements to the Bronco, I'm sure they would rather test the hybrid out somewhere else first. Perhaps the Explorer or Edge.

The hybrid system shared between the Explorer and Aviator (600ish lbft) might make the shorter Bronco do wheelies... :rockon:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The hybrid system shared between the Explorer and Aviator (600ish lbft) might make the shorter Bronco do wheelies... :rockon:
Can post the vids next to all the mustangs crashing leaving car shows..........

OP
OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the new Bronco is just a lame rip-off of a Wrangler, I'm sure I won't be the only displeased potential customer

But seeing what we know so far, I'm fairly confident it will be more than just a wrangler with a Ford badge. And hell, even if they just made it slightly better than the Wrangler but better-than-FCA reliability and a decent towing capacity, that'll please me. It won't necessarily be innovative, but it's not a halo car, so it doesn't really need to be. It's a utilitarian vehicle, it just needs to suit my needs

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think Ford absolutely intends Bronco to be a "halo" car. Whether they achieve this or not remains to be seen.

That said, little offered in the Wrangler is "innovative" by the definition posted earlier. It simply combines elements that add up to capability.

It isn't necessary to be "innovative" to produce a quality vehicle that can meet sales expectations. Make it capable, and sales will follow.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think Ford absolutely intends Bronco to be a "halo" car. Whether they achieve this or not remains to be seen.

That said, little offered in the Wrangler is "innovative" by the definition posted earlier. It simply combines elements that add up to capability.

It isn't necessary to be "innovative" to produce a quality vehicle that can meet sales expectations. Make it capable, and sales will follow.
When I say "halo car", I'm referring to the brand's pinnacle of technology and performance, not just a nameplate for the brand. The Corvette ZR1 is Chevy's halo car. The GT was Ford's halo car, but now that it's out of production, that torch is passed off to the GT500. As a halo car, it should showcase advanced technology to trickle down to the lesser models and show what the company is capable of in terms of innovation... not just to make it capable, but to make it exceptional

The Bronco won't be a halo car. It isn't being made to show what the company is capable of in regards to new technologies and performance, it's being made to fill a void in Ford's lineup. Because of this, it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be innovative, but it certainly has to be competitive and it will need a BIT of innovation just to stand out against the competitors. But from what we're seeing, the Bronco will be receiving a surprising amount of innovation, such as the 2 piece stowable doors, the stowable roof panels, and the retractable cloth/mesh overhand that can also be turned into a canopy at the rear of the truck. All of that is innovation, as it's something that no other competitor can truly offer. The closest thing the GT500 has to innovation is it's strut tower brace is made of a different material than the competitors

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I agree, second most iconic name Ford has behind the Mustang. Why bring it back if it won't be a top dog in most respects.
The reason I'd consider the wrangler innovative is the ability to bring out a total package that no one else has, at relatively affordable price points. I suspect GT500 will fall into this category also. The overall package will be faster than Camaro and more streetable, at approx the same price point (assuming).

Autonomous driving isn't really new or "innovative". If I drink a couple too many, some "thing" with long blond hair and nice curves drives me wherever I want to go.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I say "halo car", I'm referring to the brand's pinnacle of technology and performance, not just a nameplate for the brand. ... The Bronco won't be a halo car. It isn't being made to show what the company is capable of in regards to new technologies and performance, it's being made to fill a void in Ford's lineup....
Being a "halo" is purely about desirability, and coveting that which is generally out of reach. By that basic measure, a well equipped Bronco can certainly be a halo vehicle. Craftsmanship or quality is a value that transcends time.

It as absolutely nothing to do with technology or innovation unless that is specifically what you desire or covet. Part of the population certainly values those things, but their halo vehicle tends to be something about technology, like a Tesla Roadster or vehicles that are still a fantasy such as the Rivian R1S.

OP
OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Being a "halo" is purely about desirability, and coveting that which is generally out of reach. By that basic measure, a well equipped Bronco can certainly be a halo vehicle. Craftsmanship or quality is a value that transcends time.
By that definition, a Ford Fiesta can be a halo car if someone wants it bad enough :facepalm:

No, that's not how it works. A brand's halo car is the one that showcases future technology and what the company is capable of creating. Personal desire has absolutely nothing to do with it, though halo cars are typically desirable BECAUSE they're so innovative

"A halo vehicle (or halo model) in automobile marketing is one designed and marketed to showcase the talents and resources of the manufacturers and to promote sales of other vehicles within a marque"
- http://wikicars.org/en/Halo_vehicle

" A “halo car” is a car that goes out of its way to push the technology, styling, and performance a brand can offer."
- https://autonationdrive.com/essential-auto-101-what-is-a-halo-car/

So no, the Bronco is absolutely not a halo car. If Bronco becomes it's own brand like some are speculating, then yes, a variant of the Bronco could become a "halo car", but it would need to be its own brand

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Ford GT was a halo car for the entire Ford brand. I'd call the Raptor the halo vehicle for their truck lineup, the GT500 is the halo vehicle for their cars. They are the vehicles that Ford makes to put the image they want out there - the GT350 makes people come in to buy a regular mustang. The raptor brings in customers for a normal F150 or Ranger. The Bronco will be trying to do the same for their SUV and crossover lineup. Especially if they make a high performance version of it, Bronco RS, Bronco Raptor, what have you. That will be the halo vehicle for their SUV/CUV lineup, even if it isn't a halo vehicle for the Ford brand as a whole. It'll be the vehicle they can use to sell the image to customers.
Sponsored