Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi. 1st post. I have a unicorn Bronco. Manufactured 7/19, shipped 7/21, arrived ~8/4. Summary of initial upgrades:
Magical AF??????? How about LUCKY AF!!!!!!!

Your upgrades are awesome but your build, ship and arrival dates are freakin' incredible and a story unto itself especially for a Bronco 2Dr.

Your Bronco rolled out of the MAP, onto a carrier and drove past Dirt Mountain. Just like it was supposed to happen for every Bronco.

Congratulations, Mazel Tov and Way To Go Idaho on your awesome good fortune in the middle of our Ford Shitshow!
Sponsored

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hi. 1st post. I have a unicorn Bronco. Manufactured 7/19, shipped 7/21, arrived ~8/4. Summary of initial upgrades:

- ZoneOffroad 2" spacers
- Replaced factory 16" steel wheels with 17" black alloys (-6 offset)
- Replaced tires with true 35"/12.5 BFG All Terrain KO2
- Removed crash bars
- Replaced all factory speakers with Kicker 4" and 6.5" speakers, plus base blockers
- Unbolted and removed rear seats entirely
- Replaced base fender flares with Sasquatch flares
- Added Ridergrafix side stripes and partial hood stripes
- Added tailgate table and mounted a half cutting board
- Built and added false floor to cover up bolts/missing carpet in rear (due to rear seat removal)
- Added custom radio mount on upper tailgate hinge
- Added Midlands GMRS radio and ran antenna cable behind trim to center console
- Added trim tape/rubber to mask the ugly pinch seam under doors
- Added custom rail mount in center accessory port

And then generally filled it out inside with things for an initial road trip.

Here are some quick before (as delivered):

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Image from iOS (2).jpg

and then after (as of today):

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

The new wheels and tires were the first thing that I did. The wheels are 17" ProComp with a -6 offset, and a classic design (~700$ total for 5x wheels). UPS dropped them off about a week prior to delivery of the Bronco. The tires are BFG All Terrain KO2 in 35x12.5, were ordered through Discount Tire for about $325/tire, and they also mounted and balanced them on the wheels. I also elected to buy new TPMS sensors for about $60/each, since I want to powder coat the old wheels white and add 33" tires (later).

I did the actual tire installation myself. Removing the front crasher was by far the most annoying part, since my Bronco has the base plastic bumpers (not really bumpers at all, more like bug catchers). Unlike the modular factory bumper, I had to complete remove the plastic "skid plate" in order to unbolt the outer part of the plastic bumper, so I could bend it back enough to slide out the front crash bars. The rear crash bars were nicely removed without any similar drama.

Here is a photo of the front with the new wheels/tires, and the rear with the old ones:

Image from iOS (3).jpg

Image from iOS (4).jpg

The larger tires actually fit just fine, without any lift required (at the time). Clearance wasn't great in any direction, but it did fit.

There was a LOT of tire poke with the -6 wheel offset and the standard fender flares:

Image from iOS (5).jpg

I didn't have a problem with this at first, because it fits the aggressive off-road look of the Bronco. However, the large uncovered area does throw a fair bit of dirt and mud. Even worse, in the rain the tires were throwing water spray not just backwards but straight UP into the side windows and mirrors. After a day of driving in the rain and looking like an idiot with water flying everywhere, I immediately ordered the Sasquatch fenders. Problem solved.

The next modification was to strip out the rear seats:

Image from iOS (6).jpg

With those gone, the 2 door Bronco has a surprising amount of cargo space. Given that the rear seats in the 2 door are basically unusable anyways, it's really a no-brainer for me. The seat removal left some unsightly bolts and holes in the carpet, which I covered up with a moving blanket for a few days before making a false floor out of plywood and carpet:

Image from iOS (7).jpg

This one was pretty easy: take a 3/4" sheet of plywood, cut it to 40"x42.5", drill some 1/2" holes to fit around the 4x seat bolts that stick up, and then glue down some auto carpet to give it that factory fresh look.

After the false floor, I installed the tailgate door. Not much to talk about there. It's a factory accessory. Installation instructions are crap, though. I hope you like trying to decipher pictures. Here is what it looks like freshly installed:

Image from iOS (8).jpg
Image from iOS (9).jpg

The next modification was a multi-purpose antenna mount for the rear tailgate. I happened to have some leftover pieces of powdercoated steel from something else, and the existing bolt holes in one piece lined up perfectly with the two bolt holes for the top tailgate hinge. The factory bolts here are M8 (by 20mm or something), so I ran to Lowes and grabbed a few different stainless steel M8 bolts with some plastic washers for compression.

For safety, I removed the spare tire first to minimize the weight, then unbolted the top hinge, put everything together, and torqued it down to about 35 lb/ft. Once the main support bracket was attached to the tailgate hinge, I found some other spare metal bits, cut them to size, drilled some holes to fit more M8 bolts and also the antenna mounts, and bolted that all down. The CB antenna wire was routed around the edge of the tailgate and up into the trim panel. The current GMRS antenna is a tiny one that is stuck to the inside of the Bronco, but eventually I will replace it with a long-range antenna on the second external mount.

Here is the final install:

IMG_4534.jpeg
IMG_4548.jpeg
IMG_4549.jpeg
IMG_4550.jpeg

The antenna wire was routed around the right side of the vehicle behind the trim, down the door trim, under the floor mat behind the passenger seat, and up inside the console rear trim panel. I pulled off the rear console trim, drilled a 3/4" hole through to the inside of the console, and ran the cable through there to the GMRS radio mounted inside. (No pictures of this at the moment).

The Midlands GMRS radio I'm using (a very popular option on Amazon) has all the controls on the handset itself, so I removed the regular handset "button" and replaced it with a metal disk. Underneath the Bronco dash, I superglued a magnetic phone mount so it extends out and down:

IMG_4561.jpeg

The Bronco (Base) doesn't come with a handle in the middle, so the next change I did was to remove the "Accessory Port" bolts, run to Lowes to get longer ones (I think these were M6 and I needed something like 45mm, along with some plastic spacers), cut and sand about 12" of aluminum bar and then mount the thing into the accessory port bolt holes. That gave me a frame for adding more useful things, in this case a magnetic pistol mount and some magazine pouches that double as pen and flashlight holders.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 3.24.39 PM.png

Here is the rail from the top looking down, showing the bolts going to spacers going into the factory bolt holes:

IMG_4551.jpeg

Next, I replaced all the factory speakers, because the factory sound system on the Base model is just terrible. I started out buying some cheap Pioneer speakers at Best Buy. The 4" speakers installed without any drama at all. The 6.5" inch speakers were a pain. I had to remove all the door trim (made worse by the fact that you have to remove trim within trim on the driver's side to get to some extra bolts in the footwell), only to find that the factory 6.5" speakers don't use a standard 4 hole mount pattern. So I went online and ordered a plastic adapter and put the factory speakers back while I waited.

The sound with the new 4" speakers was terrible. The inputs for the front dash 4" speakers come from the lower 6.5" speakers, and the factory speakers must have internal bass blockers. The resonance was awful. After rereading the speaker forum thread here, I immediately ordered some bass blockers from Crutchfield. I also gave up on my Pioneer speakers and ordered a full set of Kicker 4" and 6.5" speakers (since I've been happy with that same upgrade in my F150).

Everything arrived, was installed, and I'm much happier. The clarity of the sound with a full Kicker system is SO much better than the factory. However, there is limited bass, so this system absolutely will need an additional subwoofer. Personally, I'm planning on building a custom subwoofer box later on, but for now this upgrade is perfectly acceptable. Here are my speaker selections:

IMG_4558.jpeg

Moving back to the outside... my installation appointment date for the ZoneOffroad spacers arrived. The spacers themselves cost $100, and the installation was about $250 plus an alignment fee of about $100. I wasn't happy with the initial result. The front camber was all wrong, and the Bronco felt very unstable and wandered around the road. I took it to a 2nd alignment at an actual Ford dealership, where I found out that the Bronco is so new the alignment specs don't even exist in the dealership's alignment software system. They ended up using the specs from a Ford Escape (something to do with the wheelbases being pretty close) and in the end the alignment turned out well.

Just a heads up if you are lifting the truck: make sure to talk to the alignment shop because they may have to "best guess" it.

Here are some closeup photos of the ZoneOffroad spacers on the front suspension:

IMG_4552.jpeg
IMG_4553.jpeg

The next update was the stickers: I ordered the Ridergrafix side stripes and the hood wrap. I tried installing the hood wrap first and was very frustrated. With the new lift and the larger tires, it is actually really tricky reaching the top middle of the hood (even with a ladder) without feeling very off balance or wanting to put pressure on the middle of the hood for support (and denting it).

Also, it didn't help that I tried to do a dry wrap installation (like I've done for other wraps in the past) which failed miserably (bubbles everywhere). I finally read the directions and it clearly says "WET APPLICATION" so whoops. I ripped off the center wrap but kept the pinstripes on the hood since those turned out pretty well.

IMG_4559.jpeg

Side stripes turned out VERY well. I actually read the instructions thoroughly this time, took my time, and it all worked out peachy. I elected to leave off the rear portion of the stripe kit, since I actually like how it looks with the front portion only.

Image from iOS (10).jpg

I also hid the ugly pinch seams below the doors (at least until I add steps). I measured the height of the seam, bought a strip of sticky rubberized trim with the same width, and then installed the rubber over the pinch seam. Out of the box, the rubber trim is a bit glossy, so I roughed it up with the sandpaper and now it looks much more factory.

IMG_4554.jpeg
IMG_4555.jpeg
IMG_4556.jpeg

Finally, since this truck really is a unicorn (MY2021, Base, MIC, 2dr, Manual, Rapid Red, and it narrowly escaped being stuck on Dirt Mountain...), I added an appropriate sticker :)

IMG_4547.jpeg

Thanks for reading. Hope you get yours soon.

Image from iOS.jpg

Image from iOS (2).jpg
DUUUUDE!!!!! Thats BADASS!!!! Love it all......even the sticker! :LOL:(y)

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, that is a great looking rig! Rear seat delete will be one of the first things I do if I ever get mine.
YES!! More rear seat delete pics, vids, how-tos, and after-market kits. I love what the OP did and it was probably really cheap (minus the plywood- have you seen how expensive wood is right now). I would gladly go this route but I am hoping for a more finished look in the back rather than carpet.

@BroncoUnicorn Do you have a rough cost of what the rear seat delete was for your truck and maybe some inside the truck pics. And from the side and the rear- to give a sense of what the delete feels like if you using it day to day throwing stuff in there.

Well done. Hoping we all get there sometime soon. I have a 2DR BL in the ether somewhere.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey Unicorn!
When you get a chance, can you give us the part numbers and everything you used to upgrade to speakers including the bass pacifier whatever the hell it is?
Thanks

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Way cool. Love how you just jumped in feet first and started tearing shit apart. Brave man and it came out awesome!!

Sponsored

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I absolutely love this post, and it MIGHT be some of the best guerrilla marketing ever.

Bravo, Ford!

Manufactured 7/19, shipped 7/21, arrived ~8/4.
Ford Bronco 🦄 Modified my unicorn Base Bronco 2-Door: BFG A/T KO2, Upgraded Speakers, Rear Seat Delete, Sasquatch Flares, Stripes & CB Radio 9B86A754-BB49-4FC1-88F1-B5CB672FFBF0

🧐 Looks like a VERY early unit to me.

Last edited:

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great job and we appreciate you sharing!!

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
License plate frame says Asheville, NC. Doubtful he's in NorCal.
Ha ha one would think, but then I wasn't paying attention.

Ridergraphix

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ridergraphix.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

- ZoneOffroad 2" spacers
- Replaced factory 16" steel wheels with 17" black alloys (-6 offset)
- Replaced tires with true 35"/12.5 BFG All Terrain KO2
- Removed crash bars
- Replaced all factory speakers with Kicker 4" and 6.5" speakers, plus base blockers
- Unbolted and removed rear seats entirely
- Replaced base fender flares with Sasquatch flares
- Added Ridergrafix side stripes and partial hood stripes
- Added tailgate table and mounted a half cutting board
- Built and added false floor to cover up bolts/missing carpet in rear (due to rear seat removal)
- Added custom radio mount on upper tailgate hinge
- Added Midlands GMRS radio and ran antenna cable behind trim to center console
- Added trim tape/rubber to mask the ugly pinch seam under doors
- Added custom rail mount in center accessory port

And then generally filled it out inside with things for an initial road trip.

Here are some quick before (as delivered):

Ford Bronco 🦄 Modified my unicorn Base Bronco 2-Door: BFG A/T KO2, Upgraded Speakers, Rear Seat Delete, Sasquatch Flares, Stripes & CB Radio 9B86A754-BB49-4FC1-88F1-B5CB672FFBF0

and then after (as of today):

The new wheels and tires were the first thing that I did. The wheels are 17" ProComp with a -6 offset, and a classic design (~700$ total for 5x wheels). UPS dropped them off about a week prior to delivery of the Bronco. The tires are BFG All Terrain KO2 in 35x12.5, were ordered through Discount Tire for about $325/tire, and they also mounted and balanced them on the wheels. I also elected to buy new TPMS sensors for about $60/each, since I want to powder coat the old wheels white and add 33" tires (later).

I did the actual tire installation myself. Removing the front crasher was by far the most annoying part, since my Bronco has the base plastic bumpers (not really bumpers at all, more like bug catchers). Unlike the modular factory bumper, I had to complete remove the plastic "skid plate" in order to unbolt the outer part of the plastic bumper, so I could bend it back enough to slide out the front crash bars. The rear crash bars were nicely removed without any similar drama.

Here is a photo of the front with the new wheels/tires, and the rear with the old ones:

The larger tires actually fit just fine, without any lift required (at the time). Clearance wasn't great in any direction, but it did fit.

There was a LOT of tire poke with the -6 wheel offset and the standard fender flares:

I didn't have a problem with this at first, because it fits the aggressive off-road look of the Bronco. However, the large uncovered area does throw a fair bit of dirt and mud. Even worse, in the rain the tires were throwing water spray not just backwards but straight UP into the side windows and mirrors. After a day of driving in the rain and looking like an idiot with water flying everywhere, I immediately ordered the Sasquatch fenders. Problem solved.

The next modification was to strip out the rear seats:

With those gone, the 2 door Bronco has a surprising amount of cargo space. Given that the rear seats in the 2 door are basically unusable anyways, it's really a no-brainer for me. The seat removal left some unsightly bolts and holes in the carpet, which I covered up with a moving blanket for a few days before making a false floor out of plywood and carpet:

This one was pretty easy: take a 3/4" sheet of plywood, cut it to 40"x42.5", drill some 1/2" holes to fit around the 4x seat bolts that stick up, and then glue down some auto carpet to give it that factory fresh look.

After the false floor, I installed the tailgate door. Not much to talk about there. It's a factory accessory. Installation instructions are crap, though. I hope you like trying to decipher pictures. Here is what it looks like freshly installed:

The next modification was a multi-purpose antenna mount for the rear tailgate. I happened to have some leftover pieces of powdercoated steel from something else, and the existing bolt holes in one piece lined up perfectly with the two bolt holes for the top tailgate hinge. The factory bolts here are M8 (by 20mm or something), so I ran to Lowes and grabbed a few different stainless steel M8 bolts with some plastic washers for compression.

For safety, I removed the spare tire first to minimize the weight, then unbolted the top hinge, put everything together, and torqued it down to about 35 lb/ft. Once the main support bracket was attached to the tailgate hinge, I found some other spare metal bits, cut them to size, drilled some holes to fit more M8 bolts and also the antenna mounts, and bolted that all down. The CB antenna wire was routed around the edge of the tailgate and up into the trim panel. The current GMRS antenna is a tiny one that is stuck to the inside of the Bronco, but eventually I will replace it with a long-range antenna on the second external mount.

Here is the final install:

The antenna wire was routed around the right side of the vehicle behind the trim, down the door trim, under the floor mat behind the passenger seat, and up inside the console rear trim panel. I pulled off the rear console trim, drilled a 3/4" hole through to the inside of the console, and ran the cable through there to the GMRS radio mounted inside. (No pictures of this at the moment).

The Midlands GMRS radio I'm using (a very popular option on Amazon) has all the controls on the handset itself, so I removed the regular handset "button" and replaced it with a metal disk. Underneath the Bronco dash, I superglued a magnetic phone mount so it extends out and down:

The Bronco (Base) doesn't come with a handle in the middle, so the next change I did was to remove the "Accessory Port" bolts, run to Lowes to get longer ones (I think these were M6 and I needed something like 45mm, along with some plastic spacers), cut and sand about 12" of aluminum bar and then mount the thing into the accessory port bolt holes. That gave me a frame for adding more useful things, in this case a magnetic pistol mount and some magazine pouches that double as pen and flashlight holders.

Here is the rail from the top looking down, showing the bolts going to spacers going into the factory bolt holes:

Next, I replaced all the factory speakers, because the factory sound system on the Base model is just terrible. I started out buying some cheap Pioneer speakers at Best Buy. The 4" speakers installed without any drama at all. The 6.5" inch speakers were a pain. I had to remove all the door trim (made worse by the fact that you have to remove trim within trim on the driver's side to get to some extra bolts in the footwell), only to find that the factory 6.5" speakers don't use a standard 4 hole mount pattern. So I went online and ordered a plastic adapter and put the factory speakers back while I waited.

The sound with the new 4" speakers was terrible. The inputs for the front dash 4" speakers come from the lower 6.5" speakers, and the factory speakers must have internal bass blockers. The resonance was awful. After rereading the speaker forum thread here, I immediately ordered some bass blockers from Crutchfield. I also gave up on my Pioneer speakers and ordered a full set of Kicker 4" and 6.5" speakers (since I've been happy with that same upgrade in my F150).

Everything arrived, was installed, and I'm much happier. The clarity of the sound with a full Kicker system is SO much better than the factory. However, there is limited bass, so this system absolutely will need an additional subwoofer. Personally, I'm planning on building a custom subwoofer box later on, but for now this upgrade is perfectly acceptable. Here are my speaker selections:

Moving back to the outside... my installation appointment date for the ZoneOffroad spacers arrived. The spacers themselves cost $100, and the installation was about $250 plus an alignment fee of about $100. I wasn't happy with the initial result. The front camber was all wrong, and the Bronco felt very unstable and wandered around the road. I took it to a 2nd alignment at an actual Ford dealership, where I found out that the Bronco is so new the alignment specs don't even exist in the dealership's alignment software system. They ended up using the specs from a Ford Escape (something to do with the wheelbases being pretty close) and in the end the alignment turned out well.

Just a heads up if you are lifting the truck: make sure to talk to the alignment shop because they may have to "best guess" it.

Here are some closeup photos of the ZoneOffroad spacers on the front suspension:

The next update was the stickers: I ordered the Ridergrafix side stripes and the hood wrap. I tried installing the hood wrap first and was very frustrated. With the new lift and the larger tires, it is actually really tricky reaching the top middle of the hood (even with a ladder) without feeling very off balance or wanting to put pressure on the middle of the hood for support (and denting it).

Also, it didn't help that I tried to do a dry wrap installation (like I've done for other wraps in the past) which failed miserably (bubbles everywhere). I finally read the directions and it clearly says "WET APPLICATION" so whoops. I ripped off the center wrap but kept the pinstripes on the hood since those turned out pretty well.

Side stripes turned out VERY well. I actually read the instructions thoroughly this time, took my time, and it all worked out peachy. I elected to leave off the rear portion of the stripe kit, since I actually like how it looks with the front portion only.

I also hid the ugly pinch seams below the doors (at least until I add steps). I measured the height of the seam, bought a strip of sticky rubberized trim with the same width, and then installed the rubber over the pinch seam. Out of the box, the rubber trim is a bit glossy, so I roughed it up with the sandpaper and now it looks much more factory.

Finally, since this truck really is a unicorn (MY2021, Base, MIC, 2dr, Manual, Rapid Red, and it narrowly escaped being stuck on Dirt Mountain...), I added an appropriate sticker :)

Thanks for reading. Hope you get yours soon.

Great build and making it your own! UESTION: I am going to delete one rear seat. Did you find any electrical sensors in the seats and if so....how did you deal with them? Thanks!

Aragonite

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ford Ranger 4x4, 1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@BroncoUnicorn absolutely fantastic. Why donʻt you do a 15 min video walking around the rig and explaining everything you did? Would be great to see it in more detail.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

awesome dude. Great write up. You should be very proud. Fantastic contribution to the site, thank you.
Sponsored