Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

::UPDATE::

The legendary @LEGEND has chimed in later in this thread and confirmed the smaller hatch is in fact the correct hatch. To quote them exactly, the image of the larger hatch from the Dealer Playbook is “not from this universe.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/“bronco-dealer-playbook”-describes-mic-and-mod-modular-top-differences-shows-larger-“gunner’s-hatch”-and-confirms-removable-rear-windows.12915/post-476936

::ORIGINAL POST::

@Canadian BadSquatch shared some images from their dealership which showed the official ford breakdown of the differences between the MIC and Modular tops.

I grabbed them and credit to @beachman101 for recognizing that the ”Gunner’s Hatch” on the mod top is shown considerably larger here compared to what we’ve seen in the past.

We have not seen a recent picture of the hatch on a real-life Mod top, but these documents being dated “January 2021” may mean that this is the size we can expect from production units... however confirmation is still needed.

*See update below. Confirmed to be smaller hatch on production units.*

Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. 2021 Bronco MIC vs Modular MOD top differences - Gunner's Hatch - removable rear windows 1

Additionally, this document lists the specific removable panels for all top variations, and confirms that both the 2-door and 4-door Mod tops get the removable windows in the rear.

Finally, these views give a great view of how the relative sizes of top components compare to one another, and between 2 and 4 door models.

The “Note” at the bottom of this image seems to be referring to the Area51 “Overland” concept build with the blanked out rear windows.... and confirms that factory units will “always be glass.”

Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. 2021 Bronco hardtop MIC vs Modular MOD top differences - Gunner's Hatch - removable rear windo

I also recently updated my top difference ”cheat sheet” to reflect the apparent darkening of the MIC top as we get closer to production, and concerns by insiders that the MIC top is not any less prone to showing scratches as the Mod top.

Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. Hard Top Types March 21

Here is an image from the Ford Bronco webpage which shows a cg rendering with a much smaller roof hatch:

Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. B5712620-B6A7-4B81-B89F-A94694E3F85F

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 14.24.14.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 14.24.23.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totally getting one. I wonder if there will be a Ford factory made mount for the M249 or MK19

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Another B6G member shared some images from their dealership which showed the official ford breakdown of the differences between the MIC and Modular tops.

I grabbed them and credit to @beachman101 for recognizing that the ”Gunner’s Hatch” on the mod top is shown considerably larger here compared to what we’ve seen in the past.

We have not seen a recent picture of the hatch on a real-life Mod top, but these documents being dated “January 2021” may mean that this is the size we can expect from production units... however confirmation is still needed.

Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 14.24.23

Additionally, this document lists the specific removable panels for all top variations, and confirms that both the 2-door and 4-door Mod tops get the removable windows in the rear.

Finally, these views give a great view of how the relative sizes of top components compare to one another, and between 2 and 4 door models.

The “Note” at the bottom of this image seems to be referring to the Area51 “Overland” concept build with the blanked out rear windows.... and confirms that factory units will “always be glass.”

Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 14.24.23

I also recently updated my top difference ”cheat sheet” to reflect the apparent darkening of the MIC top as we get closer to production, and concerns by insiders that the MIC top is not any less prone to showing scratches as the Mod top.

View attachment 91782

Here is an image from the Ford Bronco webpage which shows a cg rendering with a much smaller roof hatch (albeit on what appears to be a MIC top):

View attachment 91786
Zack, you are on that like flies at a picnic.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really excited for this. Not just because it’s more open air.

but if you remember , they talked about 3rd party support for the side windows. But what about 3rd party support for the roof? What kind of cool stuff could be added?

moon roofs? Attatchment panels for storage?

maybe even a staircase from a rooftop tent

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

but if you remember , they talked about 3rd party support for the side windows. But what about 3rd party support for the roof? What kind of cool stuff could be added?

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mod Top starts gaining additional interest with essentially a "sky roof" hatch in the rear.

I was all over it with the painted surface being more conducive to the overall looks, plus matching the door trim better than MIC. However, I felt the tiny hatch was mostly worthless and I wouldn't pull the rear windows out often. With the "sky roof" hatch, this gets me back to thinking about taking the front roof off and taking a road trip without it at all instead of a "all roof or no roof" look.

*speaking about 2-door only, as that has been my only interest in Bronco since day 1.

OP
OP
ZackDanger

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

moon roofs? Attatchment panels for storage?

maybe even a staircase from a rooftop tent
Yeah. Not sure about the weather-proofing... but there could be some cool rooftop tent integration with this.

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah. Not sure about the weather-proofing... but there could be some cool rooftop tent integration with this.
The most obvious would be some sort of vent for the cars ac/heat to travel into the tent. That would be cool. Especially if you can control it via phone app

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Great work @ZackDanger

The MIC top has definitely looked closer in colour to the flares etc. in more recent photos so it's good to see Ford acknowledge that the colour has indeed migrated over time.

They note that the MIC top weighs less than the modular but have we seen any numbers that could give us good estimates of weight differences between the soft top, MIC top, and mod top?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sponsored

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the change in color of the MIC, im now on the fence between the mic and the mod.... Im getting an area 51 Badlands, and I don't know which will look better?? My other concern is which one is queiter... So far it's only speculation that the MOD is queiter .

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Another B6G member shared some images from their dealership which showed the official ford breakdown of the differences between the MIC and Modular tops.

View attachment 91782

Here is an image from the Ford Bronco webpage which shows a cg rendering with a much smaller roof hatch (albeit on what appears to be a MIC top):

View attachment 91786

We should petition admin to allow a zackdanger bot to post this on any thread with top in the title

Last edited:

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@ZachDanger
Top Hat is your new handle.
Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. 1613857979885

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco “Bronco Dealer Playbook” describes MIC and MOD (Modular) top differences. Shows larger “Gunner’s Hatch” and confirms removable rear windows. 1613857979885

View attachment 91782

View attachment 91786
Nice work, Zack. I was going to comment on Beachman's thread, but it has been locked. Even though the CG MIC Top above with the gunner's hatch is fantasy, it likely is an accurate depiction based on the description of the updated documents (ignoring the accompanying graphic). The actual description of the rear panel on the 2-dr mod top aka gunner's hatch is that it is a "circular panel" which of course doesn't match the corresponding graphic. In addition, the cargo area remains covered which doesn't match what the graphic depicts.

Absent of any actual photographic evidence that supports the graphic's depiction, we should expect an oblong panel that matches the CGI rendering above with the cargo area remaining covered.

For others that have suggested an AM tent with access via the gunner's hatch, Ursa Minor offers an integrated RTT. There was mention last summer that they were planning on offering a similar product.
Sponsored