Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was going to make this a reply in a thread, instead of a new thread, but it seems to be mentioned and griped about in every thread eventually.

What cars have y’all had in the last few decades that DIDN’T have plastic dash materials? What do y’all think dashboards are made of? Unless you have maybe a Jaguar Vanden Plas with luxurious, exotic woods on top of—you guessed it—plastic, your dash is made mostly of plastics.

I’ve had some pretty nice vehicles, and every dash of every car since the Spartan metal dash panel (with vinyl padded dash top added) of my early Bronco has been plastic.

I’m just curious, because the griping about “plastic interior” has become its own culture, and I’m puzzled why.

When I rushed to reserve a Bronco on 7/13/2021, I didn’t even care what the dash looked like. Turns out, it looks like a space ship, it to hear y’all tell it, it’s a Barbie Jeep.
Sponsored

cowinsawdents

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE, 19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This plastic feels cheaper than other plastics. I can't think of another way to say it, wife said the same thing. It's not throw your hands up forget it , but it feels cheaper than my f150...which is plastic. I don't think anyone is looking for exotic woods...but some of it feels like a 15k honda civic, not a 60k truck.

just my 2c

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was going to make this a reply in a thread, instead of a new thread, but it seems to be mentioned and griped about in every thread eventually.

What cars have y’all had in the last few decades that DIDN’T have plastic dash materials? What do y’all think dashboards are made of? Unless you have maybe a Jaguar Vanden Plas with luxurious, exotic woods on top of—you guessed it—plastic, your dash is made mostly of plastics.

I’ve had some pretty nice vehicles, and every dash of every car since the Spartan metal dash panel (with vinyl padded dash top added) of my early Bronco has been plastic.

I’m just curious, because the griping about “plastic interior” has become its own culture, and I’m puzzled why.

When I rushed to reserve a Bronco on 7/13/2021, I didn’t even care what the dash looked like. Turns out, it looks like a space ship, it to hear y’all tell it, it’s a Barbie Jeep.

I had a $4500 Napa Leather dash in a BMW X5 (yes on top of plastic and metal). The leather delaminated prematurely and I had to have it replaced twice (under warranty). It looked great, but I can't justify that again. Hence....I am looking forward to the Bronco, and hopefully a maintenance-free plastic dash.

OP
OP
Lord Bronco

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m getting MVG and washout floors, so I find it ironic that for some reason the BD has a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. Why?

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This plastic feels cheaper than other plastics. I can't think of another way to say it, wife said the same thing. It's not throw your hands up forget it , but it feels cheaper than my f150...which is plastic. I don't think anyone is looking for exotic woods...but some of it feels like a 15k honda civic, not a 60k truck.

just my 2c
This is exactly what sent me back on the fence when I sat in one a couple weeks ago. The plastic just felt cheap and would have been fine in a $35k Bronco but, as I sat in that one, there was no way I could justify my $60k build.

Sponsored

Rivdog07

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would have liked to had a leather dash accent component as part of the lux or leather package on the OBX. My JLU Sahara has a leather dash that dramatically changes any plastic feel.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s higher-end plastics out there. For example, I really like the interior of my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. It is plastic, but it has this fake “wood grain” black plastic trim which I think looks great. I’m hoping with the more “basic” interior finishing on the Bronco it’ll hold up better than some of the examples provided by posters above me.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Your missing the fact there is a difference between hard plastics and soft touch plastics. Material thickness and tooling (texture) play a big part as well. The Bronco interior feels pretty cheap, no reason to sugar coat it, it is what it is at this point. Basically, we all get the Base interior, plans for upgraded interior touch points got cut for whatever reason.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a off-road vehicle that the top and doors come off. I expect a cheap dash, I expect cheap seats. I expect a cheap steering wheel. This is not a luxury or even an attempt to be luxury vehicle. Even if you blow an extra 20 on options it still will not be luxury, it'll just be a well optioned truck.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's pretty bad. The upper dash and upper door inserts are most noticeable. I cant remember the last vehicle I've been in that had a true hard plastic, knock hollow upper dash. Theres always some degree of injection mold to soften this up some. At least on OBX and up, the upper door inserts are replaced by a slightly better material (that's the only difference across the trims in term of material BTW). But the upper dash is very bothersome. I'll live with it. But i think deep down it bothers me the most since its such a glaring item, that I know it will be swapped out with something better in a couple years. Same goes for the rear A/C vents. Its like an obvious 1st year omission.

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There’s higher-end plastics out there. For example, I really like the interior of my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. It is plastic, but it has this fake “wood grain” black plastic trim which I think looks great. I’m hoping with the more “basic” interior finishing on the Bronco it’ll hold up better than some of the examples provided by posters above me.
You can buy dash kits that allow you to add this (synthetic wood grain, or carbon fibre, or brushed aluminum) to any vehicle’s dash. I added an ebony wood grain kit to my wife’s base 2011 Pathfinder at one point as a present. Really dressed it up from the “Plain Jane” it used to be her beloved “Black Beauty”. If a wood grain look is what folks want, I recommend these kits:

https://www.carid.com/wood-dash.htm...fOMT2uKg7UmAhU2Dbpcnj8-VFoVluTbxoClF8QAvD_BwE

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can buy dash kits that allow you to add this (synthetic wood grain, or carbon fibre, or brushed aluminum) to any vehicle’s dash. I added an ebony wood grain kit to my wife’s base 2011 Pathfinder at one point as a present. Really dressed it up from the “Plain Jane” it used to be her beloved “Black Beauty”. If a wood grain look is what folks want, I recommend these kits:

https://www.carid.com/wood-dash.htm...fOMT2uKg7UmAhU2Dbpcnj8-VFoVluTbxoClF8QAvD_BwE
Good option for sure; you could even vinyl wrap some pieces I’m sure. I think the main point by the OP though is it should come from the factory with a “higher trim” interior. I have mixed emotions on that; I need to see it first but don’t expect the same level of “luxury” (I use that lightly) as my Trailhawk. I want it to be quality and last/not fade, etc. Vs. Needing wood grain and other fancy stuff.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 2018 Pacifica minivan has soft touch dash and other materials. I'm sure it has plastic in it, but it's soft and not cheap feeling. That being said, I fully expected the Bronco interior to be as described. Not bothered by it!

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the interior, it's very good for what it is. They only element that I thought was cheap feeling were the interior door handles/pulls. They are ridiculous, but as long as they hold up: no problemo. Everything else is good to go.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.