Sponsored

“The Road Chose Me” channel discusses if the Bronco will be good for overlanding

acemics

Base
First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don’t plan on doing overlanding like this guy does, but he brings up some points that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere; payload rating and heat from the turbo etc. I found this interesting, and figured some of you might as well.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Road Chose Me is a badass. Can’t wait to watch this!

Edit: After watching great video! He seemed to be a fan, and compared it favorably with the wrangler for the Sasquatch package and no crossbar on the roll cage. Doesn’t like the low payload, IFS, or only turbo engines, which honestly if I was traveling around Africa I’d be a bit apprehensive of both items too. Main point as he says; Bronco is creating competition in the space which is good for everyone!

Last edited:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, I certainly can't argue with his credentials!

I think if you are trekking across remote parts of South America, an impeccably maintained 20-30 year old SUV with solid axles, and minimal electronic gizmos is your safest bet in terms or reliablity and ease of repair, but that is certainly not your only option, and potentially not your most enjoyable option.

The Bronco has clearly benchmarked the Wrangler, more than anything else. When it comes to overlanding, all the key metrics are pretty comparable.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OK I love this guy... He don't care for turbos either..
Ha ha suck it!
7.3 Godzilla... Make it happen ?

Edit: see how much he said it lines up with the Wrangler... Anyone else wonder why it fees like Ford barely bested Jeep in most areas but probably could've truly smoked them in many more.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK I love this guy... He don't care for turbos either..
Ha ha suck it!
7.3 Godzilla... Make it happen ?

Edit: see how much he said it lines up with the Wrangler... Anyone else wonder why it fees like Ford barely bested Jeep in most areas but probably could've truly smoked them in many more.
They'd have to charge a boatload more if they had made the Bronco into a "Wrangler Killer" in all aspects, putting it in a completely different segment and appealing to a different (and smaller) subset of buyer. I think they hit the sweetspot perfectly from what they've shown so far.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Road Chose Me is a badass. Can’t wait to watch this!

Edit: After watching great video! He seemed to be a fan, and compared it favorably with the wrangler for the Sasquatch package and no crossbar on the roll cage. Doesn’t like the low payload, IFS, or only turbo engines, which honestly if I was traveling around Africa I’d be a bit apprehensive of both items too. Main point as he says; Bronco is creating competition in the space which is good for everyone!
Is he comparing payload to the Defender? That thing is a beast. And way better towing. Bronco or Jeep aren't either ideally suited as well for African style overlanding.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
comparing payload to the Defender? That thing is a beast.
The Defender crushes vehicles like the Wangler and Bronco when it comes to payload and towing. At least you're getting something for all that extra money.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting video. I wish the 2 door Bronco had the bigger fuel tank like the 4 door does. They probably just ran out of room. One of those spare tire extra fuel tanks might be nice but a little more of a design challenge since the backup camera looks out the center of the spare tire. I might take the Bronco up to Alaska, but no huge overlanding trips. Of course first I have to get one and even before that I have to make sure I want one. Can't wait for the pricing for extras comes out to see what my build will cost. That guy is impressive. In other videos I found out his Alaska to South America Jeep cost him 5,000 bucks used! The next one for Africa, a 4 door, cost 18 grand used.

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I discovered this channel from this video, and I've been watching the rest of his videos for the past few days. I love it! I don't take it personally that the Bronco wasn't purposely designed for long-term, remote overlanding, because that is a very niche usage. Bronco is targeted towards weekend off-roading with some good on road manners, which is a much bigger market (and more applicable to me).

I'm one of the people that loves the new Defender but I'd be hesitant to do the trips he's done in one. The would be even harder to patch up and keep going in far remote stretches.

I do really love that youtube channel. I could never do the trips he has done, but it's great to watch and dream!

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I like his point about the Ursa Minor popup being an easier fit in the Bronco, with no roof bars.
Sponsored