Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

⚠WARNING⚠

*Update 3* IAG Performance has sent an email out to everyone who purchased a EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist with your options for rectifying the problem. If you didn’t get an email reach out to IAG Performance by email at [email protected] or by phone at 410-840-3555.

*Update 2* Messaged with Adam Kennedy from IAG this morning after taking measurements from the soft top frame and IAG struts to the pillar in all 3 top positions. The measurements showed the soft top frame is centered side to side on the Bronco and that the IAG struts are evenly spaced from the pillars until the top is fully in the down position. That’s when the IAG strut rubs the pillar on the passenger side but is still spaced out on the driver side.

IAG is going to send replacements parts and is refunding the cost of the struts. They offered to send touch up paint and PPF but I’ll be getting the whole vehicle PPFed shortly once my advfiberglass fenders get here so I told them they didn’t need to do that. Also, I’ll be getting touch up today because I don’t want to leave metal exposed that long.

*Update* Adam Kennedy from IAG has reached out to help resolve this and we will be working through it to try and figure out the cause and a resolution for the damage tomorrow. I will update the post with what we find out and decide.

*Original Post* I got my Bronco last Thursday (3/10) and my IAG Struts arrived on Saturday (3/12) so I of course eagerly put them on my Bronco the same day. They went on great with easy to follow instructions and I was loving using them. That is until tonight when I started hearing a rattling noise on the passenger side rear of my Bronco. I went back to try and find the source of the noise to find that the IAG struts had been rubbing against the D pillar (arms over the rear of the bronco). In fact they had rubbed clean through the paint on both my Bronco and the strut.

My initial thought was surely the strut had bent or something was loose and causing it to be out of alignment but I thoroughly inspected it and there is nothing bent, angled wrong, moving irregularly, or loose. Also, the driver side is not rubbing at all and has a healthy gap between it and the D pillar. I don’t know what caused this whether the bracket it mounts to is angled slightly different or what but there is nothing from the top itself even contacting the strut other than at the attachment points.

I really hope @IAG Performance makes this right by paying to have the paint fixed on my Bronco. Unfortunately, their customer service is closed all weekend so I won’t be able to reach them until Monday morning most likely. Also, their website says “Our liability shall under no circumstances exceed the actual amount paid by you for the product, nor shall we under any circumstances be liable for any consequential, incidental, special or punitive damages or losses, whether direct or indirect.” So unless they stand up and do the right thing I will be out of luck.

I made this post right away so others wouldn’t fall victim to my same situation. If you have these installed already, check to see if they are close to your paint when the top is in the down position.

I will update y’all when I get an answer from IAG on how they are going to handle this.

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ 83A88024-A7CB-4AB8-B18E-3ADDFEAC0A33

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ EBE7771D-1EEB-4924-9913-D0E1EF322904

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ 06EE5EA9-F759-419A-8BCE-43C97288036B

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ F6557051-5F7B-45D2-A465-AB8FB19CB3D2
Sponsored

Last edited:

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think that is why they were providing free Paint Protection Film for early orders . It should go on first.

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
that roll tube is boron steel alloy, and it WILL rust unless fixed. I do not understand the need for these things. What’s the point of them?

OP
OP
jalawson

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oof. Wtf. That disclaimer is alarming. I need to go check mine and see if it’s okay.
I was unable to get a good picture since it is dark out here but if you put the top locked in the down position and then look straight down at the base of the pillar and pull the fabric of the top towards the outside of the Bronco you’ll be able to see where that inside edge of the strut is resting. Funny thing is with the top up both sides are equidistant from the pillar it once lowered the passenger side is touching.

Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is this why they included the protection film? I haven’t put my film on yet. So this rubbed when you had the top folded all the way down correct? So I know how to inspect mine.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

that roll tube is boron steel alloy, and it WILL rust unless fixed. I do not understand the need for these things. What’s the point of them?
this is the point and it has already been a help when loading stuff at the store.

OP
OP
jalawson

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think that is why they were providing free Paint Protection Film for early orders . It should go on first.
The damage is below where the film covers as you can see in the attached pictures. The paint protection film is intended to prevent the arms of the soft top from rubbing the pillars. This is a common problem if you provide uneven or horizontal pressure to the the top when lowering and raising it.

Also, the description for the PPF film on their website says nothing about their struts and only mentions Ford’s arms:

“On the 2021 Ford Bronco, scratches are known to occur from the frame contacting the rear outer roll bar while lowering and raising the soft top. The IAG Performance roll bar paint protection film kit is made from a high impact resistant clear film with an adhesive backing. The film adds a protective layer that prevents scratches to the outer rear roll bar. Ford has issued a TSB concerning the top frame contacting the roll bar and causing a paint issue. Even if your vehicle has the added felt on the top frame by Ford we have found our PPF film to be the best way to ensure your paint is protected.”

0777CEDC-1A95-4E60-8224-E821FF81430C.jpeg

1F080E11-A1C0-41EF-A33A-80414AC35CB9.png

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The damage is below where the film covers as you can see in the attached pictures. The paint protection film is intended to prevent the arms of the soft top from rubbing the pillars. This is a common problem if you provide uneven or horizontal pressure to the the top when lowering and raising it.

Also, the description for the PPF film on their website says nothing about their struts and only mentions Ford’s arms:

“On the 2021 Ford Bronco, scratches are known to occur from the frame contacting the rear outer roll bar while lowering and raising the soft top. The IAG Performance roll bar paint protection film kit is made from a high impact resistant clear film with an adhesive backing. The film adds a protective layer that prevents scratches to the outer rear roll bar. Ford has issued a TSB concerning the top frame contacting the roll bar and causing a paint issue. Even if your vehicle has the added felt on the top frame by Ford we have found our PPF film to be the best way to ensure your paint is protected.”

0777CEDC-1A95-4E60-8224-E821FF81430C.jpeg

1F080E11-A1C0-41EF-A33A-80414AC35CB9.png
Good to know. I’ll put some in both places when I put mine on. Thanks for posting and hopefully they will make it right.

OP
OP
jalawson

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this why they included the protection film? I haven’t put my film on yet. So this rubbed when you had the top folded all the way down correct? So I know how to inspect mine.
No, the protection film doesn’t cover where this occurred and is intended to protect the pillars against lateral movement in the top during raising and lowering that causes the arms on the top to rub, not the struts.

Correct, it happened while the top was all the way down and locked.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jalawson

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It makes opening the secure storage I have installed much easier.

Also, my understanding from reviews on here, their website, and their videos was that it would help with preventing the lateral movement that causes the support bars for the soft top to rub on the pillars. After installing I don’t feel like it does that much to help with that but it definitely makes accessing the back easier with the secure storage.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t have my bronco yet so haven’t installed, but I bought them for my soft top and have the PPF. Seeing this, I don’t think PPF won’t be enough. I’ll be watching this thread. A shame because the lifts seem ideal for the soft top.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve got a good 1/2” between the strut and the roll bar. Same on both sides. I’m not sure how this happened. Did you install the top bracket backwards or something?
Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ 217930D6-860E-4545-8E42-3C2CD9C1F629

OP
OP
jalawson

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got a good 1/2” between the strut and the roll bar. Same on both sides. I’m not sure how this happened. Did you install the top bracket backwards or something?
Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ 217930D6-860E-4545-8E42-3C2CD9C1F629
I have a good 1-1.5” in the up position too. It’s the down position that’s the problem.

I double checked all my brackets and strut mounts and everything is correct.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a good 1-1.5” in the up position too. It’s the down position that’s the problem.

I double checked all my brackets and strut mounts and everything is correct.
Oh ok. I’ll check that tomorrow.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.