Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tahoe Z71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have had the film on for months and got the assist struts a few weeks ago and immediately got a gouge through the ppf and paint mid roll bar from roof assembly
PPF is not good enough, you really need helicopter tape. Strut and rollbar. No damage.
Sponsored

GeoWar64

Badlands
First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Until I receive my replacement mounting brackets, I just added some neoprene cord management sleeves to the struts (cut to length). It provides a soft, padded cushion between anything it might contact.

8AE354C5-7273-44A8-A6A7-81133BA9CBA1.jpeg

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The paint seems to be an easy-ish fix but the potential overstretch would be a greater concern.

Man, I really wanted this product but am likely to wait it out. Great concept but possibly more variables in play than was realized.

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's funny, I ordered this about a little less than 2 weeks before all this came out, and they shipped that night, 2 days later they arrived, and we installed them immediately. Having nothing to do with this, we just haven't put the top back down since (have used the EZ-Load popup and I pretty much flip the top back every time I get in it, takes 30 seconds) - but I am glad that they're being so open and taking care of everyone.

Not everyone has nefarious intent in the business world. Sometimes stuff just happens... I was working for a wine & spirits franchise back in the day (one of the largest in the Northeast) and was transferred to a brand-new location that 4 neighbors bought into - rank amateurs who all considered themselves geniuses but had no actual business experience let alone retail. I am told on a Saturday afternoon as I'm getting done work "Oh yeah, when you go to work on Tuesday, you'll be going ---> there , they're going to need your help..." and at first I was like, "yeah that's fine, pretty much all the same to me..." - then I realized what I had been thrown into. Oh yeah! Forgot to mention! Tuesday is their first day being opened! And they had ran a major glossy-advertisement-flier in the newspaper, and a bunch of old folks came in the first day for some specific sale product - that had unfortunately not yet been delivered. Whatever it was- let's just say Robert Mondavi Woodbridge 1.5Ls for cost - and people wanted it. And I'm trying my best to explain - Look, I'm literally brand new here in a BRAND NEW PLACE, I've been here for about an hour, we've been open for about 15 minutes, and this ad was supposed to go out next week , but it went out a week earlier than expected, and we haven't even gotten the vast majority of our Deliveries yet - so I have no Woodbridge to sell you, but I'd be happy to sell you whatever you want, for our Cost (at least in my home State, it's against the law to sell alcohol below Cost, but you can sell it for exact Cost , so if Moet Chandon White Star Champagne comes in at $24.09 [back then it did] you can't sell it for $24.08 or below but you can sell it for exact cost) ... and one particular older couple hit the roof. "THAT'S BAIT & SWITCH!!! I'LL HAVE YOU IN JAIL BY LUNCHTIME!!!" ... I understand both the facts of Bait & Switch, the principle, and the spirit of it. I'm not trying to cheat you. We've been open for 15 minutes. You might consider cutting us a break on a couple-a-few mistakes...

... I'm not advertising a bone-stock base-model $20K Ford F-250 XL and then telling you the day you are supposed to pick it up, Oops, I don't have it , sold it to someone else, but I'll give you a GREAT DEAL on a King Ranch that is $48K but I can give it to you for $45K... after you gave us a deposit and signed a contract for the $20K one... (this happened to me actually, and I called Bait & Switch on them, they said "Sorry not sorry" and I took them to Court and won $16K, Attorney took $4K, got $12K from the Dealer who had previous Bait & Switch convictions...)

My point being - it's not like these people were like "Let's make some stuff to scratch up everyone's new stuff! Haha suckas! Got you biatch!" and it sure seems to me they addressed it immediately and in the best possible way. TIFWIW, YMMV.

Sponsored

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@IAG Performance To get to the point, there are 3 critical issues that need to be re-examined:.

Issue #1: Paint Damage to Lower Roll Bar
Already being addressed with new brackets designed to prevent the bottom struts from rubbing against the roll bar.

Issue #2: Squeaking/Rattling Sounds
These sounds occur because of the amount of upward pressure that the gas struts direct to the top rear bar (w/ the female buckle receivers). The product’s functionality relies on the ’pushing’ pressure of the struts and the ’pulling’ tension of the bungees. The pressure in the gas struts is simply too strong…strong enough to ever-so-slightly change the angle of the support bar running to the top rear bar. The sounds are the result of the struts directing A LOT of pressure toward the top rear bar and things like road vibration, bumps, wind/drag, etc.

At first glance, the obvious solution would be to either (1) slightly lessen the pressure in the gas struts or (2) slightly shorten the length of the strut…but I’m not sure if can you reduce the pressure or length of the gas struts and still maintain the product’s desired functionality?

[NEW]
Issue #3: Definitive Stretching / Possible Separation of Canvas & Crossbar

I don’t think this one’s been reported yet and I think it may only be apparent for those users who have already uninstalled the product. With this product, you push the levers in, the soft top shoots up, and the canvas in this area shoots downward...so given that the canvas is attached to the crossbar via an adhesive strip, my guess is that the quick release pressure is too much for the adhesive strip to handle and that’s why you can see early signs of separation.

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ A82252F8-E457-4E37-A66C-4BED112FAD49

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ A82252F8-E457-4E37-A66C-4BED112FAD49
Let me preface this by saying I appreciate the feedback and am always looking to improve our products. That being said, I believe your assessment is inaccurate and you likely misunderstand the function and construction of some of the components. I will try to address each as you did.

As previously discussed, variations in both the installation and function of the top certainly cause some issues with a small percentage of users. This issue is being resolve with a bracket that moves the gas strut much farther from the body. The result leaves much more tolerance and forgiveness in the event the top doesn't fold up correctly or wasn't installed or manufactured as others. While I am very sorry that it did damage, we are making every effort to do right by the community and make everyone happy with replacement brackets, touch up paint and additional PPF when needed.

Shortening the strut won't have any effect on what you believe the issue is. The strut in the position you are describing is in the middle (not exactly but you get the point) of its stroke/operating range. This strut moves both directions from that static point. Upward when releasing the latches to access the cargo area, and downward (compressed) to lower the top. To further explain the function or intention of certain components, the Bungees are there for 2 reasons. The first is to pull the top towards the rear to aid in the folding of the top when it is put all the way down. Otherwise, we have found that you have to help that section as you lower the top so it doesn't bunch up and make it difficult to lower the top. The second purpose, is that when you put (a very little amount) of pressure on the center support bar in the rear direction, the result is the top is pushed upwards (this point is very important as I explain #3). That upwards movement actually aids in slightly reducing the rear side window wrinkling. While it certainly isn't a "fix", it does help. (more on that later as we work towards a solution)
The struts are not directing "A LOT" of pressure. In fact in our testing, reducing the pressure in the gas spring by even 25N per side meant that the product doesn't function the way everyone would want and certainly not for it's intended use. That being said, we have been driving our test vehicle for the last few days to attempt to recreate the noise a few have described. If anyone is in the area and their Bronco is exhibiting this noise, I not only welcome you to reach out, but I will offer to compensate you for your time so we can get a closer look. I am certainly not suggesting that there can't be a problem, we just haven't been able to recreate it.

This is not anything that anyone has reported. The flap you are referring to is not attached to the top with adhesive and what you are seeing is residue that has transfered from the flap to the top because of overspray. It isn't any separation at all. The flap is STICHED to the top at the seam (not glued), and then wrapped around the bar. It is secured to the bar with rivets and in order for it to stay tight to the bar in between the rivets, they spray adhesive on the flap. Again what you are seeing is adhesive that was left on the bar or the end of the flap that has transferred onto the top. There isn't ANY separation happening. Additionally (as I hinted earlier), the (very tiny) amount of tension that is put on that bar is in the UPWARD (and rear) direction pushing the bar against the top, not pulling it away. If anything that might be why you are now seeing the transfer of adhesive. But this shouldn't be mistaken for separation.

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ IMG_2216.JPG

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ IMG_2217.JPG

Ford Bronco ⚠️EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist Damage⚠️ IMG_2221.JPG

I hope that further explains the function of everything. In the meantime we will continue to try to recreate the noise that has been reported by a few people and determine if the EZ lift is the reason for it or if we are experiencing another problem that is related but not caused by the system. Again, thank you for the feedback.

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

⚠WARNING⚠

*Update 3* IAG Performance has sent an email out to everyone who purchased a EZ-Lift Soft Top Assist with your options for rectifying the problem. If you didn’t get an email reach out to IAG Performance by email at [email protected] or by phone at 410-840-3555.

*Update 2* Messaged with Adam Kennedy from IAG this morning after taking measurements from the soft top frame and IAG struts to the pillar in all 3 top positions. The measurements showed the soft top frame is centered side to side on the Bronco and that the IAG struts are evenly spaced from the pillars until the top is fully in the down position. That’s when the IAG strut rubs the pillar on the passenger side but is still spaced out on the driver side.

IAG is going to send replacements parts and is refunding the cost of the struts. They offered to send touch up paint and PPF but I’ll be getting the whole vehicle PPFed shortly once my advfiberglass fenders get here so I told them they didn’t need to do that. Also, I’ll be getting touch up today because I don’t want to leave metal exposed that long.

*Update* Adam Kennedy from IAG has reached out to help resolve this and we will be working through it to try and figure out the cause and a resolution for the damage tomorrow. I will update the post with what we find out and decide.

*Original Post* I got my Bronco last Thursday (3/10) and my IAG Struts arrived on Saturday (3/12) so I of course eagerly put them on my Bronco the same day. They went on great with easy to follow instructions and I was loving using them. That is until tonight when I started hearing a rattling noise on the passenger side rear of my Bronco. I went back to try and find the source of the noise to find that the IAG struts had been rubbing against the D pillar (arms over the rear of the bronco). In fact they had rubbed clean through the paint on both my Bronco and the strut.

My initial thought was surely the strut had bent or something was loose and causing it to be out of alignment but I thoroughly inspected it and there is nothing bent, angled wrong, moving irregularly, or loose. Also, the driver side is not rubbing at all and has a healthy gap between it and the D pillar. I don’t know what caused this whether the bracket it mounts to is angled slightly different or what but there is nothing from the top itself even contacting the strut other than at the attachment points.

I really hope @IAG Performance makes this right by paying to have the paint fixed on my Bronco. Unfortunately, their customer service is closed all weekend so I won’t be able to reach them until Monday morning most likely. Also, their website says “Our liability shall under no circumstances exceed the actual amount paid by you for the product, nor shall we under any circumstances be liable for any consequential, incidental, special or punitive damages or losses, whether direct or indirect.” So unless they stand up and do the right thing I will be out of luck.

I made this post right away so others wouldn’t fall victim to my same situation. If you have these installed already, check to see if they are close to your paint when the top is in the down position.

I will update y’all when I get an answer from IAG on how they are going to handle this.

83A88024-A7CB-4AB8-B18E-3ADDFEAC0A33.jpeg

EBE7771D-1EEB-4924-9913-D0E1EF322904.jpeg

06EE5EA9-F759-419A-8BCE-43C97288036B.jpeg

F6557051-5F7B-45D2-A465-AB8FB19CB3D2.jpeg
I just purchased the EZ Soft Top lift assist last week. According to the rep I spoke to its supposed to ship out next week. Will this include the fix so this does not happen to my Bronco with the soft top all the way down? @IAG Performance

Last edited:
OP
OP
jalawson

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just purchased the EZ Soft Top lift assist last week. According to the rep I spoke to its supposed to ship out next week. Will this include the fix so this does not happen to my Bronco with the soft top all the way down?
They say it does. I’d be hesitant to be the first to test it out though.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just purchased the EZ Soft Top lift assist last week. According to the rep I spoke to its supposed to ship out next week. Will this include the fix so this does not happen to my Bronco with the soft top all the way down?
They said that anything shipped after 3-18-22 (I believe that was the date) will have the new brackets, so you’re good…

CKXVII

Outer Banks
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Let me preface this by saying I appreciate the feedback and am always looking to improve our products. That being said, I believe your assessment is inaccurate and you likely misunderstand the function and construction of some of the components. I will try to address each as you did.

As previously discussed, variations in both the installation and function of the top certainly cause some issues with a small percentage of users. This issue is being resolve with a bracket that moves the gas strut much farther from the body. The result leaves much more tolerance and forgiveness in the event the top doesn't fold up correctly or wasn't installed or manufactured as others. While I am very sorry that it did damage, we are making every effort to do right by the community and make everyone happy with replacement brackets, touch up paint and additional PPF when needed.

Shortening the strut won't have any effect on what you believe the issue is. The strut in the position you are describing is in the middle (not exactly but you get the point) of its stroke/operating range. This strut moves both directions from that static point. Upward when releasing the latches to access the cargo area, and downward (compressed) to lower the top. To further explain the function or intention of certain components, the Bungees are there for 2 reasons. The first is to pull the top towards the rear to aid in the folding of the top when it is put all the way down. Otherwise, we have found that you have to help that section as you lower the top so it doesn't bunch up and make it difficult to lower the top. The second purpose, is that when you put (a very little amount) of pressure on the center support bar in the rear direction, the result is the top is pushed upwards (this point is very important as I explain #3). That upwards movement actually aids in slightly reducing the rear side window wrinkling. While it certainly isn't a "fix", it does help. (more on that later as we work towards a solution)
The struts are not directing "A LOT" of pressure. In fact in our testing, reducing the pressure in the gas spring by even 25N per side meant that the product doesn't function the way everyone would want and certainly not for it's intended use. That being said, we have been driving our test vehicle for the last few days to attempt to recreate the noise a few have described. If anyone is in the area and their Bronco is exhibiting this noise, I not only welcome you to reach out, but I will offer to compensate you for your time so we can get a closer look. I am certainly not suggesting that there can't be a problem, we just haven't been able to recreate it.

This is not anything that anyone has reported. The flap you are referring to is not attached to the top with adhesive and what you are seeing is residue that has transfered from the flap to the top because of overspray. It isn't any separation at all. The flap is STICHED to the top at the seam (not glued), and then wrapped around the bar. It is secured to the bar with rivets and in order for it to stay tight to the bar in between the rivets, they spray adhesive on the flap. Again what you are seeing is adhesive that was left on the bar or the end of the flap that has transferred onto the top. There isn't ANY separation happening. Additionally (as I hinted earlier), the (very tiny) amount of tension that is put on that bar is in the UPWARD (and rear) direction pushing the bar against the top, not pulling it away. If anything that might be why you are now seeing the transfer of adhesive. But this shouldn't be mistaken for separation.

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2221.JPG

I hope that further explains the function of everything. In the meantime we will continue to try to recreate the noise that has been reported by a few people and determine if the EZ lift is the reason for it or if we are experiencing another problem that is related but not caused by the system. Again, thank you for the feedback.

Thank you for the detailed feedback — it was very informative and helped me re-assess my situation. I’ve decided to remove my original post so as to not mislead anyone about the product.

Correction:
Upon further review, I do not think “Issue #3” is the fault of the EZ Lift, so please disregard my previous comments. I noticed the passenger row crossbar also has similar characteristics and it’s likely minor wear from folding the soft top back and forth, EZ Lift or no EZ Lift.

I’ll circle back on the sound issue once I’ve had time to re-evaluate.

Thanks again @IAG Performance for the feedback!

Sponsored

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the detailed feedback — it was very informative and helped me re-assess my situation. I’ve decided to remove my original post so as to not mislead anyone about the product.

Correction:
Upon further review, I do not think “Issue #3” is the fault of the EZ Lift, so please disregard my previous comments. I noticed the passenger row crossbar also has similar characteristics and it’s likely minor wear from folding the soft top back and forth, EZ Lift or no EZ Lift.

I’ll circle back on the sound issue once I’ve had time to re-evaluate.

Thanks again @IAG Performance for the feedback!
thanks for this reply, it helps because we know there is not another issue, had you not replied i would have still held slight skepticism towards manufacturers respnse!!

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just purchased the EZ Soft Top lift assist last week. According to the rep I spoke to its supposed to ship out next week. Will this include the fix so this does not happen to my Bronco with the soft top all the way down? @IAG Performance
You will 100% receive the updated system. They should be shipping very early next week.

IAG Performance

Wildtrak
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iagperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
thanks for this reply, it helps because we know there is not another issue, had you not replied i would have still held slight skepticism towards manufacturers respnse!!
I understand your concern, but I assure you we take this stuff very seriously. We certainly want to address any and all concerns. We just have to be careful about "noise" (figuratively). We are dealing with a questionable top and a questionable assembly, so our approach must be systematic.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I understand your concern, but I assure you we take this stuff very seriously. We certainly want to address any and all concerns. We just have to be careful about "noise" (figuratively). We are dealing with a questionable top and a questionable assembly, so our approach must be systematic.
Not to mention, we are dealing with a folding canvas convertible top. There are so many variables at play, with lots of moving parts, different materials rubbing together, various frequency vibrations due to tires, road conditions, etc.

There will always be noises, clicks, and rattles. There are some of us with the IAG kit that don’t have any extra noises, just as there are those who don’t have the kit, yet are experiencing various noises that other people don’t have.

I don’t doubt that some people have installed the strut kit and heard noises that weren’t there before, and the noises disappeared when they removed the struts. However, I don’t believe that the noises are due to the struts alone, but rather a combination of the struts, along with some kind of issue with the OEM mechanism (or other factors) that are creating the noises. Otherwise, I feel like everyone using the struts would hear these noises, which many of us clearly are not…

Last edited:

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Believe me I fully understand and appreciate how you all are handling this, I have the strut and received the email. I also work for a manufacturer and deal with product issues (rarely, lol) so I meant no disrespect, only that you of course have a very thin line you must walk especially when you put things in writing! I'm not worried ,I'll wait for the fix!! Thanks for your attention on this!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.