Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you thought I was joking about a speed tax, well it did not take long to align with current events after reading about Bitcoin's 40% crash yesterday.

If the future amount of power required for EV's is the same as Bitcoin, and that is bad for the environment, then likewise will there be enough power to charge all the EV's or will we face power rationing or a speed tax?

(Please, don't turn this into a political discussion, it is my own technical point on how will we charge all the EV's, maybe we all have to pay for solar panels on our roofs.) For now I'll stick with ICE or a Hybrid Bronco would be okay as well.
I heard that Bitcoin mining uses more energy than the entire country of Argentina.
Sponsored

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Around year from now, you can choose between N/A V6 or V8, a diesel, 2 sizes of turbo V6, a hybrid or all electric F150. For those of you where the electric doesn’t work for you, Ford has you covered.

I’ll also say, that the 15.5” screen is a bit much, but the XLT version comes with landscape 12” screen. Maybe it will be more traditional in integration.

I put a reservation in last night. See how pricing works out. I’ve been eyeing a couple different F150 builds in lieu of the Bronco.

TalexBrizzley

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I daily drive an EV, *shields head from rocks* and the advertised range can be very deceiving. I can get close to the advertised range on my Model 3 if I use regenerative braking and drive conservatively, but I usually don't get close. I'd assume too much driving 80+ MPH or towing in this truck and it's game over. 300 miles base and 400 miles extended would be a game changer, in my opinion. I considered the Lightning pre-reveal because I'm a MY22 anyway, but I'll stick with my Bronco.

Ford Bronco ⚡️ 2022 F-150 LIGHTNING EV Specs, Pricing, Pics! 200

Last edited:

KDAber64

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F 150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I forgot about it and got in just over an hour in. Kept hanging up, had to switch to Chrome to get it to go through. Some things never change.
Doubt I will follow through but spending a year as a day 2, I just wanted to be a day one at something. My number is 10824xxx. Could they have 24k in just over an hour?!
I was using Chrome and it wouldn't go through! I had to switch to my phone to get it to work.... 1 hour in and I'm 10813xxx I don't get how these res numbers work. There were people on here that said they reserved w/in 10 minutes and had a higher number.

Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just reserved one this morning and the dealership just called me and asked for $500 and what color would I like? UHM. I think i might cancel and reserve with a different dealership.

Here we go again...
LOL. If you've followed the Bronco dealership situation, you should've just selected Granger. That's what I did. Obviously, I don't know your situation and if Granger is possible, but they take the anxiety out of the equation. Good luck.

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

grayed out for me. Guessing there are too many people on
It was grayed out until you put in a dealer, then you could hit the reserve button if that is what you saw. Reserved in first minute as well. Replacing another vehicle though.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If there is a standardization of charging, then I disagree with your opinion. The notion of the "gas station", premises on tanks and volatile liquids, changes to parking spaces with charging stations. They can be placed at rest areas, restaurants (as attractions), road side or anywhere else there is electricity. They don't have to be refilled or serviced daily. They can be unattended. Hotels, campgrounds, department and grocery stores...they can have them. Enterprising people will buy parking lots, invest in charging infrastructure and generate greater revenue off their parcel.

IF there is standardization, this entire network can grow. If they treat autos they same way they treat phones and phone charges...it will be a shit show for a while.
The problem with standardization is, while the plug is SAE standardized, the charging rates of the machine varies as does the other half of the equation, which are the vehicles. Standardization means stagnation, so at some point the charging capability will stop advancing. It's great that Tesla and Porsche, just to mention two, have developed high-rate charging but they are not interchangeable. The current "standard" DC Fast Charging doesn't work well with all manufacturer's technical baselines. All gasoline stations and all ICE are compatible, which is why gasoline stations are ubiquitous. Even short-range ICE vehicles (<300 miles) can refuel almost anywhere in just minutes.

Regardless of battery type, charge time is a function of current flow. Current flow is a function of voltage and wire gauge. Dumping tens of kilowatts in minutes into a battery requires large, heavy cables and cooling, which is expensive and requires training for safe handling. As we've recently seen, some dumbasses will fill gasoline into plastic bags or open Lowes 5-gallon buckets. Handling high-current capacity equipment is very dangerous, especially with untrained operators, so getting to ICE refueling times for EV is just not answered by the battery type. So thinking the EV infrastructure will get to unmanned stations with 5-minute recharge rates is limited by the laws of physics, more so than gasoline.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The problem with standardization is, while the plug is SAE standardized, the charging rates of the machine varies as does the other half of the equation, which are the vehicles. Standardization means stagnation, so at some point the charging capability will stop advancing. It's great that Tesla and Porsche, just to mention two, have developed high-rate charging but they are not interchangeable. The current "standard" DC Fast Charging doesn't work well with all manufacturer's technical baselines. All gasoline stations and all ICE are compatible, which is why gasoline stations are ubiquitous. Even short-range ICE vehicles (<300 miles) can refuel almost anywhere in just minutes.

Regardless of battery type, charge time is a function of current flow. Current flow is a function of voltage and wire gauge. Dumping tens of kilowatts in minutes into a battery requires large cables and cooling, which is expensive and requires training for safe handling. As we've recently seen, some dumbasses will fill gasoline into plastic bags or open Lowes 5-gallon buckets. Handling high-current capacity equipment is very dangerous, especially with untrained operators, so getting to ICE refueling times for EV is just not answered by the battery type. So thinking the EV infrastructure will get to unmanned stations with 5-minute recharge rates is limited by the laws of physics, more so than gasoline.
This makes sense. I don't think 5 minutes is reasonable, but I can see 20. Stop, plug in, grab a sandwich, hit the restroom, buy the kids something they bug you for, then get loaded back into the car. I wouldn't want to make this type of stop every day, but on the occasional road trip...sure. Daily, the home or office charging station will work fine.

Making these units interchangeable is going to be the key to wide scale adaption. Choose VHS or Beta...but both can't functionally exist.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This makes sense. I don't think 5 minutes is reasonable, but I can see 20. Stop, plug in, grab a sandwich, hit the restroom, buy the kids something they bug you for, then get loaded back into the car. I wouldn't want to make this type of stop every day, but on the occasional road trip...sure. Daily, the home or office charging station will work fine.

Making these units interchangeable is going to be the key to wide scale adaption. Choose VHS or Beta...but both can't functionally exist.
I have a science teacher friend, teaches elementary school science (mostly biology). She's of the bend of being greenish, and has about a 6-mile drive to school. I've tried to get her to consider an EV because 99% of her use case hits the EV nail squarely on the head. But... she takes a 300-mile plus beach trip every summer. Her current SUV makes the trip easily on one tank. I said, well you can recharge mid way on the trip for 30 minutes or so. Nope, not for her, she really doesn't even like to fuel up at a gas station. An EV recharge activity, which she sees as more complicated, is not of interest to her. I think people who are EV enthusiasts really don't understand most drivers are reluctant to embrace an extended refueling paradigm and afford the price of long-range capable EVs.

Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just put down my down payment. Anyone know the best forum to join for best F-150 Lightning news

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a science teacher friend, teaches elementary school science (mostly biology). She's of the bend of being greenish, and has about a 6-mile drive to school. I've tried to get her to consider an EV because 99% of her use case hits the EV nail squarely on the head. But... she takes a 300-mile plus beach trip every summer. Her current SUV makes the trip easily on one tank. I said, well you can recharge mid way on the trip for 30 minutes or so. Nope, not for her, she really doesn't even like to fuel up at a gas station. An EV recharge activity, which she sees as more complicated, is not of interest to her. I think people who are EV enthusiasts really don't understand most drivers are reluctant to embrace an extended refueling paradigm and afford the price of long-range capable EVs.
I can se this. I also think many people are poor judges of time and cost. If you asked me "do you want to stop for 30 min to charge". May answer would be "no". If an aware consumer times their stops already, restroom, snack, gas etc, and the stop came to 20 min, the question becomes "would you consider an additional 10 min to charge?". I suspect the answers would be different. For me, our beach place is 2:30 hours away, our lake place is 2:30 hours away, so I can EV there, charge in place, then drive home...in theory.

Consumers will have to reconcile the math, convenience, and security of the EV solution to see if it works for them.

Reactions: Jdc

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It may sound stupid, but they should partner with places like McDonald's to build out charging stations. Food (sorta), bathroom, and charge in one stop.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the Lightning and find it fairly compelling in the EV world. 300/400 range would have been a much better offering than 200/300, though.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can se this. I also think many people are poor judges of time and cost. If you asked me "do you want to stop for 30 min to charge". May answer would be "no". If an aware consumer times their stops already, restroom, snack, gas etc, and the stop came to 20 min, the question becomes "would you consider an additional 10 min to charge?". I suspect the answers would be different. For me, our beach place is 2:30 hours away, our lake place is 2:30 hours away, so I can EV there, charge in place, then drive home...in theory.

Consumers will have to reconcile the math, convenience, and security of the EV solution to see if it works for them.
I drive 170 miles round trip to my office every day. I'd love to have an EV just keep one of my fleet vehicles down to just tire rotations. But I can't charge at work. Even the best mileage EVs that get 300 miles on a charge don't get that range in the winter. That's the other issue with EVs, winter range. Until you buy one and use it in the winter, you don't really know. Adding 20 minutes to my daily commute to charge on the way home is a non-starter.