chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is the range of current ev's really the problem or is that people have gotten so freaking lazy or so stuck on driving without a stop that they can't stop on a long trip for 30min to charge their car?

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
a google article said they have 20k reservations so far
I had planned to watch the reveal mostly just out of car-enthusiast curiosity, but I was in the middle of something when it started and forgot later. Honestly, I didn't think the Lightning was going to be so compelling. I wish I had put in an early reservation to have my options open. I'm not sure how many Ford will produce per month/year or when it will start production, though a fall order sounds like spring production. I thought I read something about 100K units per year planned. That could mean a year from now on the early side, being 20-30K reservations back in the list.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had planned to watch the reveal mostly just out of car-enthusiast curiosity, but I was in the middle of something when it started and forgot later. Honestly, I didn't think the Lightning was going to be so compelling. I wish I had put in an early reservation to have my options open. I'm not sure how many Ford will produce per month/year or when it will start production, though a fall order sounds like spring production. I thought I read something about 100K units per year planned. That could mean a year from now on the early side, being 20-30K reservations back in the list.
With how bad ford has screwed up the bronco I am hesitant to believe anything they say about the f150 release and time table

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to think the same thing until I had my mind completely changed my Engineering Explained’s video about this topic 2 weeks ago. It’s pretty long but the gist of it is that the same thing was probably said about air conditioning back in the 40’s and 50’s. The grid engineers figured it out then, and there are various solutions now. (Mostly spreading the load around by incentivizing charging at different times)

the issue with this hypothesis is that you cant incentivise charging at different times

people wake up , go to work , come back , and charge the car overnight.

This is also the time where peak electricity usage (lights) is occuring

the grid actually cannot handle it.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

the issue with this hypothesis is that you cant incentivise charging at different times

Peak electricity usage is not at night, but in the afternoon. Cooling loads far outweigh lighting loads by one or two orders of magnitude. Electric utilities incentivize commercial customers to reduce their peak load during summer months. As time goes on, I can see utility companies doing something similar for residential customers with EVs. If you make it cheaper to charge your EV during a specific time period, you bet folks will change their habits.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

Not sure if this is a thing in other places, but Arizona is already set up for this to be the reality. We have these plans that basically jack up your rates for several hours a day. I personally move my AC to 82 during these hours because it is just that much more expensive. They can do the exact same thing with electric cars and people will just set timers to charge when their rates go down.
Ford Bronco ⚡️ 2022 F-150 LIGHTNING EV Specs, Pricing, Pics! AF69F01C-7FF2-4106-A2BA-221455B1F502
Ford Bronco ⚡️ 2022 F-150 LIGHTNING EV Specs, Pricing, Pics! ADD4BD73-996E-4FCD-952D-2C500690611F

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

read some more about it in the mean time, I find it pretty amazing. The range would last me easy 99% of the year, I don't have a commute (actually would not have to charge it for weeks) and on the rare occasion that I'd actually go on a road trip where this truck would just be totally impossible (hard to imagine that, personally, that once a year I can take a break here and there, as I'm on vacation and not in some rush) then I'd just rent some SUV or what ever for that once a year trip. Buying a vehicle for that once or twice a year thing makes no sense to me, might as well drive around in an RV all year long because you camp during spring break. But hey, everybody has different priorities, for me this would work just fine.
Apparently eventually you'll be able to set it to charge at night when it's cheaper and then even feed back power into your house to reduce your electric bill, smart thinking.
This thing will sell like crazy, for most it will be just fine. Contractors will probably love all the power outlets and I'd not mind simple electric power when camping, no fiddling with noisy gas lamps or lots of different battery things. Heck, bring a small electric (induction) stove instead of a camping stove! A small A/C for the tent maybe?

Lots of salty complaining here, but that's this forum I guess.

I did reserve one, doubt I'll buy it, I don't really want to have a truck again, but who knows. At least I'm in line. It's an exciting development for a major car producer adding this to the line of the best selling truck, so there will be options for those that need to drive 8 hours straight.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the torque and HP they announced, I imagine that is a good starting place.
Yeah, with a 0-60 about the same as a Shelby GT350, there doesn't seem to be much room for complaining. 😄 I think that's faster than the original Lightning was.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used to think the same thing until I had my mind completely changed my Engineering Explained’s video about this topic 2 weeks ago. It’s pretty long but the gist of it is that the same thing was probably said about air conditioning back in the 40’s and 50’s. The grid engineers figured it out then, and there are various solutions now. (Mostly spreading the load around by incentivizing charging at different times)

Back in the 40's and 50's we were all about building and expanding, not the case now. A YouTube video is just someone's opinion expert or not. Spreading the load around will help but even today load shedding is used to help with capacity issues. Even in Minnesota they installed a switch on my mom's house AC so they can turn off the AC. This past winter and for the first time in my life I experienced rolling blackouts here in Lincoln NE. It caused major traffic jams because traffic lights stopped working. I don't call that progress!! I would like to think that engineers will figure it out, but engineers aren't in charge anymore. I can't say anymore without getting banned for being political, but one thing is for sure there will need to be a major increase in capacity and with the culture at the top I'm not very optimistic. We can't even build power plants anymore everything has to be imported. Pretty sad.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's actually been around for a long time. As long as Porsche's have been around.
True, but it doesn't make the name any less stupid. 😄 I'm just gonna call it a trunk and the millennials can call me "old man". :LOL:

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Peak electricity usage is not at night, but in the afternoon. Cooling loads far outweigh lighting loads by one or two orders of magnitude. Electric utilities incentivize commercial customers to reduce their peak load during summer months. As time goes on, I can see utility companies doing something similar for residential customers with EVs. If you make it cheaper to charge your EV during a specific time period, you bet folks will change their habits.
no

peak hours are directly correlated with people coming home and using their house before they go to bed

its not a debate its just literal human behavior

also you cant tell people to charge their car at X hour because most people are busy during the day with work/school whatever. Only time people will be able to charge their car (assuming the charge times come down close to gas fill up times) will be while they are commuting or lunch breaks or something

nobody ever thought this through

To make this work , you would have to put chargers in every parking spot at every job in the country which wont happen congress cant even build bridges
Ford Bronco ⚡️ 2022 F-150 LIGHTNING EV Specs, Pricing, Pics! EV-TOU-prici
Sponsored

Last edited: