First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tucson
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
rapid charging stations should give you a good amount of juice in 30 min. I know it's not ideal in some areas because charges are not abundant, but they do have apps and stuff where you can plan your trip to pass by charging stations
ahh... I didn't know that. That makes it much more feasible.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think 5 minutes is definitely under-estimating. The time starts from the moment you deviate from your path to the gas station until you are back at that point again. That includes waiting for an available pump, if need be (I save money at Costco, but that means that going at the wrong time can mean waiting), etc.

There's no need to deal with recharge timing beyond setting the home charger up for the first time. People spend more time scrolling Facebook at work. 😄 That said, for people without access to a garage or attached carport, and EV isn't necessarily a great solution yet. The F150 Lightning is a sign of big changes in the future, but it's not going to all happen because of this vehicle. When graphene batteries are the norm, the change to EVs is going to be massive. That's why so much planning and work is being done with an eye on 10 years from now. Imagine the Gen3 Lightning having 500 miles of range and a 10-minute charge time. Imagine how much more improved the charging station opportunities are (including at apartments, etc.) There was a time when a cross-country road trip in an automobile was a risky under-taking, but things changed. When you are at the beginning of a technology, it can be difficult to assess how quickly and significantly it will change and look in even a short time.
Okay, not everyone is like you (or me), but I pull off the dual lane highway and I'm at my pump in 5 seconds (really). I get out, drop the card in the pump and I'm pumping gas in about 45 seconds. My car(s) have a 16-gallon tank and I usually fill up at a 1/4 tank, so it's 12 - 14 gallons. I record the data and I'm on my way. 5 minutes. I've timed it. I never wait.

I live rural. If I had a EV, it would take me 3 minutes to walk over to the garage where I'd be able to charge. So 6 minutes a day five days a week. I'll take refueling my ICE. When it's raining, eff that. LOL

Deleted member 5064

Okay, not everyone is like you (or me), but I pull off the dual lane highway and I'm at my pump in 5 seconds (really). I get out, drop the card in the pump and I'm pumping gas in about 45 seconds. My car(s) have a 16-gallon tank and I usually fill up at a 1/4 tank, so it's 12 - 14 gallons. I record the data and I'm on my way. 5 minutes. I've timed it. I never wait.

I live rural. If I had a EV, it would take me 3 minutes to walk over to the garage where I'd be able to charge. So 6 minutes a day five days a week. I'll take refueling my ICE. When it's raining, eff that. LOL
How many miles do you drive a day? I charge my Model Y in garage on average once a week while I’m sleeping (charger kicks on at preset time). Also a huge benefit of EV is pre conditioning cabin to heat and defrost or turn on AC ( through Tesla app or BMW connected)depending on time of year. Saves countless minutes in the morning scraping ice or just getting heated seats/steering wheel on is so nice 👍🏻

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How many miles do you drive a day? I charge my Model Y in garage on average once a week while I’m sleeping (charger kicks on at preset time). Also a huge benefit of EV is pre conditioning cabin to heat and defrost or turn on AC ( through Tesla app or BMW connected)depending on time of year. Saves countless minutes in the morning scraping ice or just getting heated seats/steering wheel on is so nice 👍🏻

Sponsored

DealerInsider

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chapmannewcars.com
Vehicle(s)
A stolen FE reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is the range of current ev's really the problem or is that people have gotten so freaking lazy or so stuck on driving without a stop that they can't stop on a long trip for 30min to charge their car?
I have been driving a MachE with the extended for the last couple months...its definitely different, but i cant say i have any complaints....I have a 100 mile run 1 way down to the shore on the weekends...the kWh drops while on the highway...you just need to plan...there is a DC fast charger off the expressway, so i leave an hour earlier to stop there for an hour charge and do some work (or watch some netflix)...i would have no issue keeping it and never going back to gas...oh, the nice part is i always have a full tank when i leave for work in the AM when im not at the shore

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I didn't intend to get into a debate about how long it takes to fill up, LOL. However, I'm having trouble picturing your description. I keep seeing you coming off the highway at 50mph, to a tire-screeching halt in 5 seconds, while other motorists dive for cover. 😄

I was also trying to figure out what vehicle you are driving 170 miles each day, using only 12-14 gallons and filling up twice a week. Certainly not a Hummer. 😄

Regardless, it's safe to say that you are an outlier as far as driving habits go. 170 miles a day would put you in the 1% club of non-commercial drivers. For the vast majority of drivers (most of whom are urban and suburban, the experience is much different.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn't intend to get into a debate about how long it takes to fill up, LOL. However, I'm having trouble picturing your description. I keep seeing you coming off the highway at 50mph, to a tire-screeching halt in 5 seconds, while other motorists dive for cover. 😄

I was also trying to figure out what vehicle you are driving 170 miles each day, using only 12-14 gallons and filling up twice a week. Certainly not a Hummer. 😄

Regardless, it's safe to say that you are an outlier as far as driving habits go. 170 miles a day would put you in the 1% club of non-commercial drivers. For the vast majority of drivers (most of whom are urban and suburban, the experience is much different.
It's a dual-lane highway, two lanes East bound and two lanes Westbound with a grass median. The speed limit is 55 MPH. The gas station is on West bound side. There is a de-acceleration lane from the right lane of the highway to the apron for the station's lot. I apply the brakes, slow down in the de-acceleration lane to about 10 MPH and turn into the gas station. The pumps are about 30 feet from the apron. 10 MPH is about 15 feet per second. You can do the math from there. It's not a crowded Costco on Saturday morning.

But I do use a gas station in a small city on occasion, and getting to pump takes around 20 - 25 seconds.

My car gets 27 MPG on average. 170 miles takes 6.3 gallons. Two days of travel consumes 12.6 gallons. In the US, Gas pumps are limited to 10 gallons per minute. I run the pump at the slow speed, so the pump is probably flowing at approximately 5 gallons/min. Doing the math this time, that's about 2.5 minutes to fill 12.6 gallons. That leaves about 2 minutes to work the pump and nozzle (payment and fuel selection), record the data (I keep strict fuel records), and then leave the station. It's 0.09% of my week. ;)

It's easy to understand once one does the mathematics. I've never been to a Costco BTW.

Last edited:

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“ limited first year production”....here they go starting this stuff again.

Sponsored

Warthog

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They are going to sell an absolute shit ton of these things. Game changer.
How can you expect to use as a mobile work station? you have 230 - 300 miles of range under perfect situation.

you get to job site (usually in the middle of nowhere - no chargers) and use the onboard generator - wouldn't that deplete your battery and then you never make it home cause it's dead. ???? hmmmmm...

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
How can you expect to use as a mobile work station? you have 230 - 300 miles of range under perfect situation.

you get to job site (usually in the middle of nowhere - no chargers) and use the onboard generator - wouldn't that deplete your battery and then you never make it home cause it's dead. ???? hmmmmm...
It’s really not for those situations. This guy makes an example of miners who might drive 200 miles a day commuting in their work truck. No oil changes, brake pads, fuel, etc. would save a TON of money across a fleet.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeWm6TMH/

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ford Bronco ⚡️ 2022 F-150 LIGHTNING EV Specs, Pricing, Pics! 3otPoCmoVM8gvKbAEo

"Move out of the sticks, fellas."

It's not for everyone and that's why it's estimated production, 2nd year and beyond, is 80K

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It may sound stupid, but they should partner with places like McDonald's to build out charging stations. Food (sorta), bathroom, and charge in one stop.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the Lightning and find it fairly compelling in the EV world. 300/400 range would have been a much better offering than 200/300, though.
I was thinking the same thing but I would pick Starbucks or other coffee and food chain. In Europe the rest areas almost always have food - baked goods, fresh grilled sandwiches, etc. and excellent coffee available. You can’t help but stop and go in for a quick snack. Easily spend 30 minutes, but get back on the road refreshed and alert. If the electric charging stations were set up like that people wouldn’t complain about the extra bit of time vs a gas fill up. Plus the vendor would pay to be exclusive and that would help fund the charging station.