Sponsored

⚡️ 2024 Jeep RECON EV revealed as all-electric Wrangler! Resembles a Bronco with fixed roof!

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

+1. I moved to the Colorado front range in part to get away from the miserable Chicago weather. (Or as I call the upper mid-west, the "weather armpit" of the country, lol.)

But regardless of the reality, my friends/relatives back in Chicago were convinced Colorado had to be colder with more snow. Probably because they associated Colorado with skiing and our one big snow a year making national news in terms of sensationalism.

Nothing I could say in terms of the reality would dissuade them. I'd be outside in February on a sunny 50F day, with my relatives freezing their *sses off back in Chicago, and it did not register with them. From that I learned people living in other states, can get hooked on weird ideas about states they've never lived in.
Correct, weird ideas and sensational news stories drive a lot of misconception.

I lived in Colorado for 7 years, 4 in Boulder and 3 in the mountains (ski resorts) and loved it, 300 days a of sun per year. And, your right, a 50F day sunny day with no wind is a really nice day in Colorado, it felt warmer than 50f at 6,000 ft in the SoCal Mountains; dryer air compare to near the coast. A sunny day with no wind and we were wearing shorts in the middle of winter, at the ski resort altitude.

Yet, most everybody see snows and thinks freezing cold all winter and they act like spring and summer are only 3 months total.
Sponsored

igotnoclevername

Wildtrak
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sequoia; Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your in Florida, I live in California in SoCal, no rolling black outs this summer at all where I live. My boss said the same today when I asked him; his family has two EVs. It's a big state and something may have happened somewhere and then was miss reported as the whole state. But nothing this summer and we just had record breaking heat, Newport Beach on the ocean hit an all time high of 97; no rolling black here though.

I seen a couple "film at eleven" news reports and then some sensationalism story about the threat of, but none happening here.
100% right. I'm in the Central Valley where it's always stupid hot in the summer and we had no power issues of any kind here. Plus I own a Mach E, and had no problems charging/driving it during this recent heat wave.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

100% right. I'm in the Central Valley where it's always stupid hot in the summer and we had no power issues of any kind here. Plus I own a Mach E, and had no problems charging/driving it during this recent heat wave.
I feel for you, lived in Visalia area for a summer, I didn't make it past 4 months. It's a different kind of hot there. And the central Valley is a very large region with some of the oldest power grid infrastructure. Could it be all the upgrades to wind & solar that kept us from crashing like years pasts even through we had record energy use (4 days in some areas) without a shutdown?

In some cities/regions the number of homes with solar kept them from having to do rolling black outs, it all helps.

VegasJason

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley 04 FLHRSI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

⚠ Good warning for the discussions (per @Letagoavs710):

Can we not start this political idiocy pissing match? Either comment about the Jeep or move on. Nobody cares about your personal opinions on gas vs electric. It never ends well and just turns into arguing. Be an adult and go do something meaningful with your day if arguing is all you have to add.

2024 Jeep Recon EV Officially Announced!

- see full announcement at JeepReconForum.com

2024-Jeep-Recon-Concept-Reveal-01.jpg
Looks kind of like a Rivian, Defender, Bronco, and Jeep all had an orgy. And this was the result.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No thanks on the plug-in electric gimmick.

hydrogen starting to take off and don’t have to worry about the grid going down like it is in California now.
Here is some info on hydrogen from someone who works in the energy industry

Hydrogen cheerleaders generally fall into 3 camps:

1. Fossil fuel shills: Since the only semi-efficient way to make hydrogen is with natural gas/methane (CH4), it locks in dependency on fossil fuel. Fracking companies are especially fond of hydrogen because it ensures continue demand for natural gas and reliance on gas pipelines.They are the new version of the "clean coal" backer. Most people on TV talking about a hydrogen future falls in this camp.

2. Charge time obsessives: People who hand wrings needlessly about how long it takes to fully charge a BEV but totally ignores real life experience of BEV owners who rarely if ever fully charge their EVs. Most EV on the market will get meaningful range if you plug it into level 2 charger for 10-15 minutes or so and this will get better/faster overtime. This camp is basically stuck in the gas station frame of mind... they think it is essential to refuel your vehicle in a minute or less so they want hydrogen. Nevermind that the average car sits parked for 22 hours a day where it can charge. But they also generally do not understand the infrastructure investment required to make that happen vs. electricity which is already available in every home and business. Toyota's misguided backing for hydrogen falls in this camp.

3. Science illiterates: This includes most of the politicians that advocates for hydrogen and keyboard warriors on the internet. This camp likes to blather about a magical alternative reality where hydrogen molecules are not somehow tightly bonded to other elements and takes enormous amount of energy to seperate it from carbon or oxygen, the two most common sources.

We shouldn't miss the forest for the tree... the reason we are trying to decarbonize our transportation system is because all the carbon. Hydrogen production doesn't reduce carbon emission in a significant way because the inherent inefficiency - in fact, given the same amount of energy requirement, hydrogen is one of the least efficient storage medium. Let me try an analogy... let say you need pay $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks and you have a $100 bill. Instead of using that $100 bill to pay for $5 cup of coffee, you shred the $100 bill so you can sell the waste paper to recycler for $5 and use that $5 to pay for coffee. That's what producing hydrogen from another energy source is like in concept.

As I have mentioned before many times on this forum, hydrogen makes a lot of sense in some settings. For localized or closed loop network that require zero emission, hydrogen is a plausible alternative. You'll need to be located close to the source of hydrogen production and/or storage to minimize the transportation costs. But no matter how you make hydrogen, it is alway more efficient to use the raw source as the fuel. Burning the natural gas uses less carbon than converting it hydrogen. Using nuclear power to charge BEV is more efficient than using that power to make hydrogen. The basic physics cannot be changed.

Sponsored

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow! Jeep just did something bold. An Electric Jeep Recon is coming ”before 2025?”.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-jeep-recon-ev-first-look-review/

If this thing has some range of over 300 miles during rough driving at altitude and rocky terrain driving, it’ll be a killer for the ICE Bronco.

Ford is in deep trouble not even being able to deliver the gas powered Broncos, if they get behind on Jeep’s Recon, they’ll be toast. My faith that Ford will be able to bring an electric Bronco to market that can keep up with this offering from Jeep is highly in doublt.

This is why we all should love competition! The future in the off-road world looks bright. Add Apple Watch Ultra to the mix and you’re ready to get lost and found on trails all over. :)

Thoughts?

It won't be an ICE killer at all. Remote driving is not something EVs are ready for. Refueling to repairs, it just isn't a close competition. Off road takes a lot more gas and assuming more batteries. How close do you want to cut it? What's the margin of error? How many times will you get stuck? What if it gets dark and you run lights or it gets cold and you run the heater? It looks like a Bronco Sport competitor where off road is limited to fire roads. Locker(s) and some offroad capabilities on both. But it sure won't be competition for the Bronco. Unibody, 4 wheel independent suspension, and it looks like you can maybe stuff 33s, but I doubt bigger.

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sweet mother of Jesus that is UGLY

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It won't be an ICE killer at all. Remote driving is not something EVs are ready for. Refueling to repairs, it just isn't a close competition. Off road takes a lot more gas and assuming more batteries. How close do you want to cut it? What's the margin of error? How many times will you get stuck? What if it gets dark and you run lights or it gets cold and you run the heater? It looks like a Bronco Sport competitor where off road is limited to fire roads. Locker(s) and some offroad capabilities on both. But it sure won't be competition for the Bronco. Unibody, 4 wheel independent suspension, and it looks like you can maybe stuff 33s, but I doubt bigger.
You mansplaining to me from a post in September are you?

No matter what you may think, EVs will kill the ICE Bronco and everything else, how soon is anyone‘s guess as manufacturers, politicians, and the energy industry continue to play Game of Thrones on the subject.

This Jeep is a first shot, won’t be the last and trust that Ford will answer it.

As I stated in my post, the magic 300 miles of range meant off road. By the way, a Bronco won’t do close to 300 miles off-road. For an EV, you do realize they also include a regular car battery as well, right? No one says you can’t go dual, so at camp, running lights doesn’t mean drawing from the motor battery.

300 off Road miles of range is many years away and will not be accomplished with this EV Jeep, but a decade from now, which is only 1 1/2 vehicle development cycles away, things could be different.

There’s some informed mansplaining there for you bud. ;)

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You mansplaining to me from a post in September are you?

No matter what you may think, EVs will kill the ICE Bronco and everything else, how soon is anyone‘s guess as manufacturers, politicians, and the energy industry continue to play Game of Thrones on the subject.

This Jeep is a first shot, won’t be the last and trust that Ford will answer it.

As I stated in my post, the magic 300 miles of range meant off road. By the way, a Bronco won’t do close to 300 miles off-road. For an EV, you do realize they also include a regular car battery as well, right? No one says you can’t go dual, so at camp, running lights doesn’t mean drawing from the motor battery.

300 off Road miles of range is many years away and will not be accomplished with this EV Jeep, but a decade from now, which is only 1 1/2 vehicle development cycles away, things could be different.

There’s some informed mansplaining there for you bud. ;)

Not sure what you're talking as "mansplaining" or what that even means. My post was an observation from someone who spends a lot of miles and nights outdoors and has for years.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pure AIDS, and given Jeeps overall reliability and how EV's are prone to spontaneous combustion, I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what you're talking as "mansplaining" or what that even means. My post was an observation from someone who spends a lot of miles and nights outdoors and has for years.
Second I see those kind of buzz words, I just ignore what they're saying, period.

Also, I still think of TFL's attempt to take their Electric Humjob offroading and how it epically failed
Sponsored