Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition, Mustang GT, F-350 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can you imagine? It has to be absolutely humiliating for "leadership" there.
I can. I was on a team surveying a supplier once to assess their adherence to standards, I didn’t make any friends. I embarrassed the fuck out of some managers and supervisors. They were utterly incapable of following their own procedures.
Sponsored

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

They need to move the plant here to South Carolina. No unions to worry about. 😁 BMW is having no delays either. Just saying.

**runs and hides**
Yeah, because most supplier plants are union right? Like there aren't enough companies driving down wages and benefits already......

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So will this plant increase the number of MIC tops produced?

Inigo Montoya

Badlands
First Name
Inigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford is going with the scatter gun approach to protect its stock price, passing the blame around. The only real issue is chip shortages which will almost certainly be reflected in the next quarterly earnings report. See the forest for the trees. This is not just a Bronco issue…

Sponsored

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Same plant is supposed to supply tops for FCA as well. They were still planning on building the plant in April of 2019. Probably didn't know they had production problems because they couldn't get the raw material from China to practice making the tops until recently. That may have been masking the problem for the last year.

I am still thinking about how off the first roof insulation kits were. Takes time a practice to hone the process.

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now that today's news is out there....

Within the last 6 weeks, Ford engineers were dispatched en mass to the Webasto plant in Plymouth to troubleshoot issues with factory output. In the time since, Ford has effectively assumed operational control of the plant and are working to resolve the issue under threat of vacating the contract entirely.

Some MAP employees have spent their shutdown time over in Plymouth trying to get things moving.

The "additional millions to resolve supply chain issues" in today's messaging specifically references the major rework Ford is paying for at the facility.

The good news is that the early quality concerns have been completely addressed, as the assemblies currently coming out meet all the agreed upon standards. However, both the physical setup of the plant itself and a toxic, disorganized management culture are severely limiting output of product and onboarding of employees.

The ship is being righted but it won't be fully resolved in the near term.

Source: same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.
This is great if it is true, and if Ford can get things moving on the right path. Godspeed to them!

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Now that today's news is out there....

Within the last 6 weeks, Ford engineers were dispatched en mass to the Webasto plant in Plymouth to troubleshoot issues with factory output. In the time since, Ford has effectively assumed operational control of the plant and are working to resolve the issue under threat of vacating the contract entirely.

Some MAP employees have spent their shutdown time over in Plymouth trying to get things moving.

The "additional millions to resolve supply chain issues" in today's messaging specifically references the major rework Ford is paying for at the facility.

The good news is that the early quality concerns have been completely addressed, as the assemblies currently coming out meet all the agreed upon standards. However, both the physical setup of the plant itself and a toxic, disorganized management culture are severely limiting output of product and onboarding of employees.

The ship is being righted but it won't be fully resolved in the near term.

Source: same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.
Great!!! And as others said....FORD should have just said that....then we know they are working on this. Thanks for sharing.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great info, best of luck to Ford and Webasto to get this thing out of the mud and rolling! Seems like that toxic management needs to get replaced with people that know what they're doing, sounds like that's what's going on.

I'll get my ride when I get it, not changing anything on my order. Realistically I won't need a new car for an other 10 years, if ever. I just want this thing - while still alive though, that would be nice :-D

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The million dollar question

No trust me he's lucky. Most of us don't have a clue when our Bronco will even be considered for build
maybe Ford should take some off the MSRP for people who stuck with
What you guys need to realize is there is really only one OEM manufacturer for sun roofs, moon roofs, convertible rag tops, any removable/retractable roof system. Webasto. They even make the motorized retracting transformer top on the new C8 corvette. There is absolutely no reason to question why Webasto got this contract, only how poorly it’s been executed.
Do they make the hard tops for Jeep Wranglers

Sponsored

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So you're saying that a 100+ year old company that has been making tops for years is not performing and Ford is coming in to save the day?

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ho. Lee. Crap.

This gives a lot of hope at least.
My concern has to do with the fact that we're half way through 2021 already- so, assuming they get this situation rectified by July, it will still be difficult to complete vehicle delivery within this fiscal calendar year, except for a select few. In other words, time stamp will mean very little here, since Ford will be looking to satisfy any soft top/base orders they can, while situation is remedied. Really disappointing. Day 2 reservation holder here.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m confident there was a pending law suit that persuaded Webasto to allow Ford to intervene. If this is in fact legit, then I applaud Ford for taking this step. All I and many others require is “ positive effort”.

Badmommallama

Badlands
First Name
Candice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This scenario plays out all the time in business. If a company always waited until absolutely sure, nothing would ever be done and there would be no innovation.

Projections are just what you do. Sure, you try to do the math to ensure accuracy and efficiency, but sometimes, all the time, unknowns or unforeseens occur which cause you to adjust.

Just ask anyone who's served in the military about "planning vs. execution".

Why not change suppliers? Economies of scale, patents, tooling, training, testing, liability and risk. These are the reasons why standing by Wabasto is the best pathway forward, as they are close to a breakthrough with a little pushing.

Now, next go around, a new supplier may come online as others are no doubt approaching Ford with proposals, but you can't buy that in the middle of a campaign, as an analyst like me would nail you and your rating, thus killing your stock price.

It's just business, no one is trying to hurt any of us.
Military life = Hurry up & wait

I have more patience than I desire some days.
Sponsored