Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ah, that little light at the end of the tunnel peeks through. Thanks for the update Ross.
Sponsored

CTwaterfowler

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
what is the projected capacity of tops that can be turned out , per day or week.

Im just wondering how this matches up with vehicle production

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well now that’s news. Thank you!

Why couldn’t Ford say that?

I’m sticking with my MIC with the assumption that the country’s largest vehicle manufacturer can fix this problem (hopefully soon) in the next month or two.
Because they have a contract that has public information release clauses.

old goat

Big Bend
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think big companies operate like politicians when somethings does not add up .
blame the opponent , blame the other competitor , blame the other company ,BLAME everyone but themselves . never take blame and only take the credit when it works out good

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This scenario plays out all the time in business. If a company always waited until absolutely sure, nothing would ever be done and there would be no innovation.

Projections are just what you do. Sure, you try to do the math to ensure accuracy and efficiency, but sometimes, all the time, unknowns or unforeseens occur which cause you to adjust.

Just ask anyone who's served in the military about "planning vs. execution".

Why not change suppliers? Economies of scale, patents, tooling, training, testing, liability and risk. These are the reasons why standing by Wabasto is the best pathway forward, as they are close to a breakthrough with a little pushing.

Now, next go around, a new supplier may come online as others are no doubt approaching Ford with proposals, but you can't buy that in the middle of a campaign, as an analyst like me would nail you and your rating, thus killing your stock price.

It's just business, no one is trying to hurt any of us.
Excellent post. This is exactly the situation. Ford and Webasto planned for contingencies in the schedule, but throw a pandemic into the mix, and it becomes a CF. All manufacturing/product contracts have excusable delay clauses and force majeure clauses, where pandemics are explicitly called out as beyond the reasonable control of the supplier. If you work in this type industry these are well understood contract terms and conditions.

Manufacturing a machine such as an automobile, the manufacturing plant is a machine within itself. When a part of the machine becomes inoperable, the machine stops. Automobile production is based on just in time parts supply. When a pandemic interrupts JIT, it is very difficult to overcome. Contingencies are planned into production schedule, but the pandemic is un-plannable.

From outside of the industry, as a layman car buying customer, it surely can be frustrating, but the pandemic has majorly impacted the Bronco launch. It looks like ineptitude, but in fact it's mostly the opposite.

Last edited:

Namrekcad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota, xt4, Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel for wabasto I’m sure they have their own internal problems all company’s do.
However I ran a company that produced machines equipment for big 3 and been in this field over 25 years
With my experience it was typically customers misinformation and over tolerance of a simple product that made it impossible to meet finish part requirements.
As usual customers get to blame suppliers
IMO

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is a great thread about manufacturing, something I've also been involved with in my career. I learned some things, such as how Ford would be better getting Webastos in gear than just cancelling and trying another vendor.

I bet the tops problem is a combination of everything discussed, a perfect storm of poor planning, pandemic caused materials slowdown, production floor design, management not reacting fast enough, not enough manpower. I think it will all get fixed, things always do. And they'll eventually be making enough tops, after their problems slowed down the entire Bronco production for about a half a year.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a contract for engineering services on a large manufacturing facility (vehicle part). I know those contracts are air tight and Ford would probably have one stricter than the one I’m involved in. There is a lot of language about lost revenue. I’m sure Webasto is on the hook for mucho dinero in Ford lost revenue.
The liquidated damages for them are likely huge and they are probably eager to have Ford step in and help. They are in no position to balk at anything Ford wants to do at this point. Ford will exact compensation now and again on future contracts. Both of these companies have been around a long time and they are aware of the consequences and how the game is played.

I still think they get this stuff worked out by the end of summer.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Imagine being the Big 3 supplier who fucked up Ford's biggest vehicle launch in generations...?
They're eventually going to pull out their tooling and open up their own manufacturing facility when production is caught up, I have no doubt. Or find a better supplier.

Sponsored

mrjerry469

Black Diamond
First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK DIAMOND
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The liquidated damages for them are likely huge and they are probably eager to have Ford step in and help. They are in no position to balk at anything Ford wants to do at this point. Ford will exact compensation now and again on future contracts. Both of these companies have been around a long time and they are aware of the consequences and how the game is played.

I still think they get this stuff worked out by the end of summer.
End of summer that's when I wanted my Bronco

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent post. This is exactly the situation. Ford and Webasto planned for contingencies in the schedule, but throw a pandemic into the mix, and it becomes a CF. All manufacturing/product contracts have excusable delay clauses and force majeure clauses, where pandemics are explicitly called out as beyond the reasonable control of the supplier. If you work in this type industry these are well understood contract terms and conditions.

Manufacturing a machine such as an automobile, the manufacturing plant is a machine within itself. When a part of the machine becomes inoperable, the machine stops. Automobile production is based on just in time parts supply. When a pandemic interrupts JIT, it is very difficult to overcome. Contingencies are planned into production schedule, but the pandemic is un-plannable.

From outside of the industry, as a layman car buying customer, it surely can be frustrating, but the pandemic has majorly impacted the Bronco launch. It looks like ineptitude, but in fact it's mostly the opposite.
Appreciate you man and your posts for the past several months. 🍻 (for you on the trails)

Thank you for doing God's Work of talking practical sense; more are welcome to join us. Just trying to share some business facts in the midst of the misinformation and oversimplification of what these companies are working through.

It's not a goal that people become happy about this mess, just that guys have a better understanding.
Sponsored