Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Years from now the Webasto pre-termination for breach of contract first run MIC tops will be a rare collectors item
Sponsored

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
if you told me Amazon or Tesla took over the plant , that would give me encouragement. ;-)., but Ford, not so much. They can’t even send an email that adds value why should I believe they can turn this plant around.? And I detest Amazon, Tesla I’m neutral because I highly regard Musk, he thinks big like Henry Ford did. Henry is rolling in his grave right now.

Last edited:

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Years from now the Webasto pre-termination for breach of contract first run MIC tops will be a rare collectors item
I wonder if when I’m 90 , if I make it that far, if I am watching Mecum and an original 2021 bronco with webasto built , pre Ford takeover, top is the unicorn that draws an extra 200k in value?

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My concern has to do with the fact that we're half way through 2021 already- so, assuming they get this situation rectified by July, it will still be difficult to complete vehicle delivery within this fiscal calendar year, except for a select few. In other words, time stamp will mean very little here, since Ford will be looking to satisfy any soft top/base orders they can, while situation is remedied. Really disappointing. Day 2 reservation holder here.
The fact that they are fulfilling soft top orders does not render the timestamp useless. They are using the timestamp as the order while dealing with the constraints of the HT/etc.

SLBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer/Lease Mercedes CLS63 AMG
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well if this is true then it is promising but I have yet to read in this thread about the other alarming issues. Towing Package, for instance, F150, Ranger, Expedition, Explorer, and probable the edge all have a hitch. Why is this an issue. Why is the 2.7 engine an issue? Sasquatch package? The MIC top is not the only issue, Ford severely was unprepared to roll out this vehicle. The pandemic was ongoing when they accepted reservations and made promises. I see nothing but further delays.

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some MAP employees must be making BANK right now.

Put Mike Levine to work sweeping floors.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the info Ross!

Curious as I heard it referenced in this thread multiple times. If Ford did a hostile take over (bought out)Webastos, would it be the entire company or just the facility where the tops are made? I only ask because what kind of impact would this have on other manufactures using them (GM with the Corvette top comes to mind)?

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Appreciate the info Ross!

Curious as I heard it referenced in this thread multiple times. If Ford did a hostile take over (bought out)Webastos, would it be the entire company or just the facility where the tops are made? I only ask because what kind of impact would this have on other manufactures using them (GM with the Corvette top comes to mind)?
No buy out at all. Simply assuming operational control to protect their investment and the integrity of their product.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Towing Package, for instance, F150, Ranger, Expedition, Explorer, and probable the edge all have a hitch. Why is this an issue. Why is the 2.7 engine an issue? Sasquatch package?
Everything is an issue. It's an issue for F-150s and Explorers. There are issues across all vehicle builds.

Tow package is a great example. They are getting the components for tow packages. They just aren't getting enough to fulfill every order. Same to a small extent with 2.7s. Tires and suspension components.

We feel it because we're waiting on a ton of pre-ordered Broncos. But plenty of people are waiting on their F-150s a lot longer than usual. Dealers can't get them on their lpots.

It's an entire industry problem.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No buy out at all. Simply assuming operational control to protect their investment and the integrity of their product.
Got it.

Thank you for explaining it to me Ross!

Sponsored

JMcBronco

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now that today's news is out there....

Within the last 6 weeks, Ford engineers were dispatched en mass to the Webasto plant in Plymouth to troubleshoot issues with factory output. In the time since, Ford has effectively assumed operational control of the plant and are working to resolve the issue under threat of vacating the contract entirely.

Some MAP employees have spent their shutdown time over in Plymouth trying to get things moving.

The "additional millions to resolve supply chain issues" in today's messaging specifically references the major rework Ford is paying for at the facility.

The good news is that the early quality concerns have been completely addressed, as the assemblies currently coming out meet all the agreed upon standards. However, both the physical setup of the plant itself and a toxic, disorganized management culture are severely limiting output of product and onboarding of employees.

The ship is being righted but it won't be fully resolved in the near term.

Source: same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.

Thanks for Sharing this. Got me looking into this on Glassdoor. Reviews seems to follow what you are say. Here's one that I found interesting.

Current Employee, more than 10 years
In 2017, Webasto Roof Systems rose like a Phoenix, only to take a serious nose dive 3 years later.
Apr 11, 2021 - Fly On the Wall in Detroit, MI
Recommend
CEO Approval
Business Outlook
Pros
Regular Paycheck and some good people holding out hope for a return to a positive Corp culture
Cons
Webasto Roof Systems Americas’ has lost its way..... Seemingly Inept Mgmt, each executive scrambling to CYA, providing inadequate communication from top down, and no genuine concern for colleague health during covid (often forcing colleagues into situations that place production quotas over health & wellbeing), HR is either unavailable or unapproachable and are definitely minions of mgmt, A once thriving Culture is now DOA with no direction or champion after departures of CEO and CFO in 2020/21. The remaining executive mgmt team has quickly forgotten what it was like to have the “worst ever seen” corporate culture according to McKinsey and Co.’s Organizational Health Index. It’s a shame after so much hard work by so many people. With So many unhappy, disappointed and disheartened colleagues...it’s no wonder Webasto has a high turnover with indications of a mass exodus on the horizon.
Advice to Management
Two things you can’t disconnect...People and Profit. Try to remember that the link to organizational success and profit is corporate culture and employee engagement. The former CEO and CFO both understood the importance of Investing in and engaging with the people who had entrusted their families and their futures to Webasto and were under their span of care . They knew without happy, engaged and enthusiastic colleagues, high quality sunroofs weren’t going to build themselves! They understood to put people first and profits will follow. Oh...And Stop using “family” as a tag line and marketing tool....Webasto may have had a few “like family”moments, but it has since lost that loving feeling.

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I don’t know the history between Webasto and Ford but this issue should’ve been caught during the RFP process.

No excuses Ford. Give all FE holders a soft top with the wiring setup for a hard top.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don’t know the history between Webasto and Ford but this issue should’ve been caught during the RFP process.

No excuses Ford. Give all FE holders a soft top with the wiring setup for a hard top.
I’d like to keep my pre-takeover MIC!

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With So many unhappy, disappointed and disheartened colleagues...it’s no wonder Webasto has a high turnover with indications of a mass exodus on the horizon.
Ford is teaching a 4-year-old how to ride a bike. All's well & good as long as the MAP employees jog alongside holding the handlebars...but it seems inevitable Webasto will be in the ditch without Ford employees.

Perhaps now that Ford can see high Bronco demand, hopefully their ops management is walking MAP facilities right now, looking for a place to locate the MIC equipment.
Sponsored