Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One of the things that has had me stearing clear of jeeps is their motor choices.

Either a 3.6 NA that struggles at high altitude, or a 2.0T for a loaded up JLU?

And then I see this and the other thread of drag racing and it makes me wonder WTF?

Why are the numbers on paper clearly in favor of Ford, yet when put to the test are basically equal?

What am I missing?
Sponsored

moejoe34

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think a 2.7 outer banks vs the Sahara would have been a more equal race. The Sasquatch wheel and tire package is certainly not helping

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I realize I could have skipped this article as I am not interested in stop light racing the Bronco. But really - why do we need such quick accelerations in a 4x4 ? Why would it have to be faster than the competition ?

Entropy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So basically we are getting a smaller engine with the liability of turbos and less gas mileage for the same performance or worse? Is that what I am seeing here? I expected both engines to beat the crappy Pentastar in the dirt.
I wouldn't call the pentastar "crappy". It is a solid engine, old, but solid, which is what you want on the trail. It is a very powerful drivetrain for the tiny Wrangler. The Bronco being more like a truck needs a more powerful engine, therefore Turbo.

I am happy with the Bronco performance. And by the way, that 2 door Bronco looks so nice.

A 2 door Wrangler will be faster than a 4 door. But who cares really? buying a Bronco not a Mustang.

The Bronco is a more modern version of the JL, direct competition. It should somewhat match the Wrangler.

Sponsored

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd be curious how the BL 2.3 7MT would stack up to those numbers with the 4.7 gearing vs. 4.46.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I realize I could have skipped this article as I am not interested in stop light racing the Bronco. But really - why do we need such quick accelerations in a 4x4 ? Why would it have to be faster than the competition ?
If your going to introduce the complexity/hazard of turbos AND worse gas mileage I would like to see a benefit to the engine, even if it is just faster. If we gained nothing I would rather have the reliability of a N/A engine. I am really not digging these numbers Ford is putting out. Not worth having a turbo engine for this, kinda like Jeeps 2.0 engine.

Entropy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I honestly think Ford just hyped the Bronco too much with marketing and people bought into it. As we start seeing more real people testing the Bronco we will realize it is really darn close to a Jeep in most aspects, with pros and cons.

Lots of people are expecting the Bronco to outperform Jeep in every aspect, cause thats what Ford advertised. But think about it, Jeeps have been out for decades. It just wont happen.

Bronco is an alternative to a Jeep. A bigger truck with an IFS and other modern perks. But thats what it is, an alternative. The best one ever offered im the U.S. imo.

I am happy with how the Bronco turned out. Too much hype, but it is a nice truck.

If you want a V6 with no turbo, get yourself a Jeep. Theyre fine vehicles, with their little quirks of course. We have choices!

The turbo engines are a great engine option for the big heavy Broncos. The narrow light jeep can get away with the small 2.0 or the good ol V6.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All vehicle horsepower has gone way up the past 20 years, mostly because of turbos. But I could compare the Bronco to my Miata. Both are considered very good at what they do. Neither is a Corvette beater in acceleration. My 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata accelerates from zero to 60 mph in 8 seconds and hits the quarter mile at 15.9 seconds. We thought that was plenty quick back then, for a car that HANDLED so well. The bronco will be quick enough for normal driving. Trying to keep up with 420 HP trucks going 85 MPH down the highway is something I don't do with any vehicle. Those maniacs are who cause all the fatal wrecks around here.

The comparison shows the Bronco acceleration difference is statistically insignificant from the Jeeps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am not a fan of merging onto a highway with a weak sauce engine.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds good I can't wait to hit the dragstrip with my Bronco. /s Just in case.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I don't pretend to know a lot about cars, so someone help me understand...

Why is the extra .7 seconds in the 0-60 worth $1900?
Sponsored