Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The people getting good mileage from a Jeep, would be doing it in a Bronco too. I'll bet you I'll get 23 out of my 2.3 Manual. Because I don't race around or speed.
The amount of power expected today is unreasonable. When the original broncos (and Jeeps) were out when I was in my 20s, they were very underpowered, but with a 55 MPH national speed limit, it didn't matter. Today the highways are more crowded, but people expect to "merge with traffic at 80 MPH"....the only thing not killing 100K people a year is better vehicle bodies and air bags. There are TONS of wrecks on every highway every day because of this excessive speed and drooling lust for more and more horsepower. Sorry, but the people complaining that a Bronco isn't a 12 second quarter mile vehicle are ridiculous. Slow down, enjoy life more. Driving doesn't have to be a Death Wish, extreme sport. It's about getting to your destination and enjoying the outdoors. Not posing "bad-ass" and blowing away people at every light, cutting off everyone that wrongs you, ripping up behind me at 80 MPH when I'm trying to pass a semi, because, well, you have some competitive need for attention.

I've pulled a 3 horse trailer with my 2002 F-150 and it barely gets up to 75MPH over about 30 seconds. So what? If anything, we need to slow the speed limits down a little, and cops need to start writing more tickets. At least in my state, it's like Road Warrior out there. We have many more fatal accidents due to excessive speed than were conceivable 20 years ago.
Sponsored

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow this is terrible. My wife has a 4 cylinder Jeep and I personally think it’s dog slow. The 2.7 is only a tenth of a second faster? Wow. Was not expecting that. I mean I really feel the jeep is severely underpowered. This is very disappointing news.

oh and she gets 25 mpg.

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think that's the data they had in house. don't think this is meant to be a head to head comparo. Just an fyi to give us an idea of the acceleration of the two vehicles in this segment.
Way to go c&d trying to be the first for this when they half-a$$ed it.. You can't compare a 2 door to a 4 door. These 0-60 means nothing to me. Might as well compare a prius to a hellcat

Carreratime

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, '68 Alfa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Too many words to read (to see if it was mentioned), but is the 2 door Bronco really comparable to a 4 door Wrangler? Maybe I'm missing something 🤷‍♂️ Just seems like why bother.
Absolutely. I'll take it a step further and say the only reason they tested and compared these off-roaders in a meaningless drag race was to get eyeballs, stoke emotions and sell ads.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah, the conveniences of testing a vehicle you don't own. I want to see this on video :ROFLMAO:
I’ll never forget the article on the ‘15 WRX lol:
“Rev the engine high enough to get wheelspin when the clutch engages, and shift out of first around 5200 rpm,” advised the engineer. With the four-wheel-drive traction of the WRX in mind, we wondered aloud, “You sure the clutch and gearbox will survive that launch?”
“Oh, yes,” he grinned.
And so, here’s how we hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds: We held the engine at the 6700-rpm redline, jumped off the clutch, shifted out of first at about 5300 rpm, and held on to second until the car hit the redline in second at 61 mph.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15111292/2015-subaru-wrx-sedan-manual-test-review/

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Wow this is terrible. My wife has a 4 cylinder Jeep and I personally think it’s dog slow. The 2.7 is only a tenth of a second faster? Wow. Was not expecting that. I mean I really feel the jeep is severely underpowered. This is very disappointing news.

oh and she gets 25 mpg.
Tenth of a second faster staring in second gear. It’s slower in an apples to apples.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love these numbers considering a saquatch'ed bronco is going to be the slowest possible configuration.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base

oh and she gets 25 mpg.
I know several people who have Jeeps and they say the 2.0 is a dog. I'm not sure what gives, because according to C&D it's a beast. I have seen 5,000lb 4x4 f-150's with the 2.7 test under 6 seconds to 60. While I think low 6 seconds is impressive with SAS, this test seems a bit fishy to me. IDK? I ordered a 2.3 even tho I love the 2.7. I just don't see it being worth $2k and I don't need a Bronco going to 60 mph in 6 seconds. Maybe I'm missing something?

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know several people who have Jeeps and they say the 2.0 is a dog. I'm not sure what gives, because according to C&D it's a beast. I have seen 5,000lb 4x4 f-150's with the 2.7 test under 6 seconds to 60. While I think low 6 seconds is impressive with SAS, this test seems a bit fishy to me. IDK? I ordered a 2.3 even tho I love the 2.7. I just don't see it being worth $2k and I don't need a Bronco going to 60 mph in 6 seconds. Maybe I'm missing something?
There are so many valid reasons to have the 2.7 over the 2.3. There is no good reasons to chose the 2.3 over the 2.7 other than you want to shift it or your not willing to spend the extra money.
This forum is full of information as is the rest of the internet with expert reviews.

Why do people keep asking?

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

oh and she gets 25 mpg.
Are you going to cancel your reservation?

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All I know is that if it doesn't make enough power, it won't be much effort to add more. For all those people crying about the 10R60, there are upgraded transmission packs already available for them as well.

It's going to be fine... and I suspect much can be resolved with simply flashing the transmission ECU and engine ECU.

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The people getting good mileage from a Jeep, would be doing it in a Bronco too. I'll bet you I'll get 23 out of my 2.3 Manual. Because I don't race around or speed.
The amount of power expected today is unreasonable. When the original broncos (and Jeeps) were out when I was in my 20s, they were very underpowered, but with a 55 MPH national speed limit, it didn't matter. Today the highways are more crowded, but people expect to "merge with traffic at 80 MPH"....the only thing not killing 100K people a year is better vehicle bodies and air bags. There are TONS of wrecks on every highway every day because of this excessive speed and drooling lust for more and more horsepower. Sorry, but the people complaining that a Bronco isn't a 12 second quarter mile vehicle are ridiculous. Slow down, enjoy life more. Driving doesn't have to be a Death Wish, extreme sport. It's about getting to your destination and enjoying the outdoors. Not posing "bad-ass" and blowing away people at every light, cutting off everyone that wrongs you, ripping up behind me at 80 MPH when I'm trying to pass a semi, because, well, you have some competitive need for attention.

I've pulled a 3 horse trailer with my 2002 F-150 and it barely gets up to 75MPH over about 30 seconds. So what? If anything, we need to slow the speed limits down a little, and cops need to start writing more tickets. At least in my state, it's like Road Warrior out there. We have many more fatal accidents due to excessive speed than were conceivable 20 years ago.
No one is clamoring for a 12 second Bronco. People expected better times given the fuel mileage and power ratings compared to the Wrangler and no, it’s not unreasonable to want one given the lack of the other.

If you are gonna take 30 seconds to get to speed or you feather your throttle to get mpgs, stay in the right lane, don’t impede traffic and use the slow vehicle turnout when you do. Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way ya know?! ;)

- 2DR Sasquatch poser (whatever that means) looking cool at the stoplight

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It seems like Ford is pulling timing and/or boost in the lower gears / lower RPMs? That seems to be the only thing that makes sense with the low power / poor acceleration times being posted with the 2.7. Hopefully this wasn't done as a necessity to keep the transmission or other driveline components from spilling their guts. What's wrong with having a fast 4x4 off-road vehicle? I'm a gear head, and more speed is always welcome. With 330 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque its reasonable to expect that this should get the heart pumping.

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flawed comparison or not… as a soon-to-be Black Diamond, 2-door, 2.3/Manual owner, I'll take these numbers ALL DAY LONG. I have zero interest in the Wrangler or other competitors, so the only frame of reference I want or need is how it stacks up against my current ride. A 2015 Chevy Colorado extended cab 2WD Z71 with the 2.5L I4, which is good for a whopping 0-60 time of 9 seconds. So yeah… I'm good. 😂
Me too. My BL 2dr MT is being built soon, fits the bill perfectly for me.

I honestly don't hate Jeeps at all, though those front fenders always made me want to puke. For me, I just didn't want to join the club. I guess it really is "A Jeep Thing."

Last edited: