First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much horsepower difference and weight difference is there (I haven't looked, could care less)? Then there you go. If it weighed 1500 lbs less, or had 100 horsepower more, it would "blow away" the Jeeps. Since it doesn't, it's a wash. You expect some kind of physics miracles? You didn't read the specs for the past 18 months?
To be honest, I think I'm just more surprised about the Jeep specs than the Bronco ones. I already told you that 6.3 actually "looks pretty good" Maybe my JK's are slower than the JL's, but I can't imagine they are that much slower. But when I drive them, to be honest they feel okay, I'm just hoping the Bronco feels a bit more exciting.

I'll add that the reason I think I care more about it is that I am going to trade-in my 2 door manual Recon... which to me is a PERFECT Jeep and I love it. Since we just had a baby about a year ago, and my wife just cannot seem to learn stick, I had to "compromise" -and we need to have two automatic transmission vehicles in case something happens to one of them. Aside from the Bronco being awesome in general, one of the things that helped me feel better about this decision, was that it looked like it was going to be quite a bit faster than the Jeep -and that seemed fun. It may very well still be, I just think it's ok to expect the Bronco to be quick. Yeah 0-60 is a pavement number, and I realize that. I mean, I just used to get annoyed seeing "It's not supposed to be fast, it's a Wrangler" from the Wrangler guys -and well, that's a bit more understandable than seeing that in a Bronco forum regardless of the fact they are larger and heavier. I get it. They are harder to push... I'm just hoping it's a solid difference -because I am trading in a vehicle I already really like a lot to get it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SillySpider

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ah, you conflate quick and fast, two different things. Once moving and spooled up, the 2.7 will give a satisfying push in the back and easily carry (off-road scale) high speeds commensurate with the suspension, it is likely speed limited to the tire rating as far as outright velocity (and I suspect with the gearing, you are looking at getting close to the critical speed of the driveshaft(s) at the top of the crappy bar tach). From a dead stop there is considerable mass to get moving while a lot of energy is used to set the suspension before forward progress is made and a short stroke turbo engine is the wrong tool for off the line performance.

it will be a lot quicker from 5-65 than from 0-60 is the short version.
Well said! You give me hope, my friend!

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ah, you conflate quick and fast, two different things. Once moving and spooled up, the 2.7 will give a satisfying push in the back and easily carry (off-road scale) high speeds commensurate with the suspension, it is likely speed limited to the tire rating as far as outright velocity (and I suspect with the gearing, you are looking at getting close to the critical speed of the driveshaft(s) at the top of the crappy bar tach). From a dead stop there is considerable mass to get moving while a lot of energy is used to set the suspension before forward progress is made and a short stroke turbo engine is the wrong tool for off the line performance.

it will be a lot quicker from 5-65 than from 0-60 is the short version.
The Bronco top speed is actually limited by OSHA due to dangerous sound pressure levels at high speeds.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think several things are at play in a dissatisfied (or satisfied) review:
1. Everything is subjective. Some will think it's good power, visibility, seat comfort, like a color. Some will think the same are lacking.
2. People that have vehicles from the last 3-4 years are more critical. Several of the posters that say they are underwhelmed at the Bronco mention their 2-3 other vehicles they've had, in the PAST 3 years! Many people swap out vehicles every couple years, and keep up with every nuance of every feature. It's almost like they are car journalists, comparing plastic materials and DB noise ratios that are quite similar.
3. The people, like me, that get something then drive it 10 years don't notice, or care about how it stacks up against 2 other segment competitors this year. Because we won't be flipping for the Next Big Thing in 18 months.

So you get what we have with everything in America, a polarized view. I just notice some trends in those that are "dissatisfied " or give the cliched "meh" reviews. They're hard to please.
Sponsored

Last edited: