Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Naw, not even close. Those portals are 15K a set. For comparison look yp a new pair of D60 prices custom made...nearly 20K and that's before suspension.

Portals will become less expensive and more available, just like they have in the UTV world.

And by the way, plenty of us think the Broncos could have still won without portals. They beat the whole 4600 class and the whole 4500 class too. Very impressive!

And also WHEELBASE should be considered here and re-evaluated. Look at how may trucks or buggies in both of those classes had LONGER wheelbases than the 2DR Broncos. This is a bigger factor than people realize. And 3 car podium in KOH proves this.
I will agree IFS needs portal axles and I hope Ford Performance creates a partnership. Either way, the aftermarket will take care of it just going to take some time and reduce cost.

Also as far as LeMans they did it twice 50 years apart :)
Portals are the way of the future on Broncos. Who doesnt like gaining ground clearance while keeping better geometry? As stated above, look up built dynatrac axles, they are astronomical! The same people who are building jeeps and other vehicles for major offroading, are the ones that are going to buy portals.
The number I was told is one of us wanted to have the same front end on our Bronco as these have is more than nearly all of us spent to buy our Broncos. It includes the portals, custom knuckles, custom A arms, RCV axles, trophy truck steering, custom dual rate coilovers, raising the motor to fit the steering and winch, and all the design and labor. Plus, they had a Dynatrac D60 rear axle. Also, in my opinion, the portals are a huge advantage. The reason for bigger tires is for more ground clearance, especially under the axle, and this is exactly what portals do. Nobody has placed well at KOH in any class that wasn't fast in the rocks. We've always said that KOH is lost in the desert, but won in the rocks. The other advantage the portals do is allow for a much better angle on the control arms and steering, which is a major help in the desert.
A Bronco on portals also won the very first "unofficial" KOH back in the day....

IMGP1077.JPG
Great memories. I wasn't there for the OG13 race which J.R. won in this buggy, but J.R. and I mixed it up in the next few races. Was nice to see this one restored and race again last year.
Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, BTW, Ford has done a cool thing to promote competition amongst 4600 class teams, which I'm not free to mention. And, I'll only post this on the Bronco forum, Ford isn't supporting these teams for the rest of the season and the teams may or may not run more races. It's up to them. Ford got what they wanted.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Trophy Truck 7.0L LSX
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here are a few pics of the finish. Again, not so amazing that the Broncos won 4600 class, kind of amazing that all three Broncos finished. Brad Lovell did have a mechanical problem coming in to pit one on the first lap. The factory guy hooked up his lap top to diagnose and quickly found a turbo hose was bad, and they had the part and replaced it. I think it it very amazing that all three Broncos finished ahead of every 4500 car, which are full on tube race buggies with big motors, coilovers and bypass shocks, 37" tires, and much greater visibility, with some very good drivers.

Don't know if the pics will show it, but there was some pretty good body damage on them from rubbing the sides on rocks.

20220204_162607.jpg
20220204_162654.jpg
20220204_162909.jpg
20220204_162509.jpg
20220204_162543.jpg
20220206_084447.jpg
20220204_162431.jpg
4500 class cars ran a longer race course that included Jackhammer. 4600 class cars did not
run Jackhammer. Therefore, the better finish times for the 4600 cars. Jackhammer is one of the most difficult trails in JV and takes approx. 7 hours to run in a non-racing situation.

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, BTW, Ford has done a cool thing to promote competition amongst 4600 class teams, which I'm not free to mention. And, I'll only post this on the Bronco forum, Ford isn't supporting these teams for the rest of the season and the teams may or may not run more races. It's up to them. Ford got what they wanted.
Ford's got a long history of doing stuff like that, dropping support once they have what they want :sneaky: Looking forward to how this shakes out.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4500 class cars ran a longer race course that included Jackhammer. 4600 class cars did not
run Jackhammer. Therefore, the better finish times for the 4600 cars. Jackhammer is one of the most difficult trails in JV and takes approx. 7 hours to run in a non-racing situation.
Yes, I didn't take into account that the 4600 cars did not run down Sledgehammer and up Jackhammer. I asked Bailey what he thought if they had competed against the 4500 cars and had run Sledge and Jack with 37's on the Broncos. He thought straight up it would be close racing.

BTW, Jackhammer takes us about 15 min if we just run straight up it. Takes longer if there are a group of vehicles, and it takes longer if we play on a couple optional lines. But, If I start at the bottom in my buggy and run straight through simulating a race situation it would be 10-15 minutes. It would be easier for me than the racers because of much lower pressure in the tires and much better visibility. BTW, back when I was racing 4400 in my old buggy I ran Sledgehammer in 12 min and Wrecking Ball in 12 min, going up. When out playing in the rock buggies we regularly run 3-4 trails, stopping regularly to play on optional stuff and visit and drink beer, and go back to camp for lunch. It's considerably different running these trails in a buggy than it is in a Jeep. During the race they ran 12-15 trails per lap, and still finished in 8-10 hours including a ton of desert.

Sponsored

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, I didn't take into account that the 4600 cars did not run down Sledgehammer and up Jackhammer. I asked Bailey what he thought if they had competed against the 4500 cars and had run Sledge and Jack with 37's on the Broncos. He thought straight up it would be close racing.

BTW, Jackhammer takes us about 15 min if we just run straight up it. Takes longer if there are a group of vehicles, and it takes longer if we play on a couple optional lines. But, If I start at the bottom in my buggy and run straight through simulating a race situation it would be 10-15 minutes. It would be easier for me than the racers because of much lower pressure in the tires and much better visibility. BTW, back when I was racing 4400 in my old buggy I ran Sledgehammer in 12 min and Wrecking Ball in 12 min, going up. When out playing in the rock buggies we regularly run 3-4 trails, stopping regularly to play on optional stuff and visit and drink beer, and go back to camp for lunch. It's considerably different running these trails in a buggy than it is in a Jeep. During the race they ran 12-15 trails per lap, and still finished in 8-10 hours including a ton of desert.
All good points! Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

vlxjim

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Jeep Rubicon Recon, F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Naw, not even close. Those portals are 15K a set. For comparison look yp a new pair of D60 prices custom made...nearly 20K and that's before suspension.

Portals will become less expensive and more available, just like they have in the UTV world.

And by the way, plenty of us think the Broncos could have still won without portals. They beat the whole 4600 class and the whole 4500 class too. Very impressive!

And also WHEELBASE should be considered here and re-evaluated. Look at how may trucks or buggies in both of those classes had LONGER wheelbases than the 2DR Broncos. This is a bigger factor than people realize. And 3 car podium in KOH proves this.
front portal hubs from 74 Weld $19,000
Triton Engineering control A arms $4,000
Howe hydraulic steering rack and cooler $4,000
Dana AdvanTEK e-locking differential $5,000
RCV custom halfshafts $4,000
Triton Engineering rear links $4,000
Dynatrac Prorock XD60 axle with an ARB 35-spline Air Locker and Spidertrax Spider 9 axle shaft and hubs. $14,000
Wilwood brakes $3,500
Fox Coilovers with spring $4,500
Fox bump stops $1,400

$63,400

Point is Ford calls this a lightly modified suspension. Not so light if you ask me.

OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dynatrac Prorock XD60 axle with an ARB 35-spline Air Locker and Spidertrax Spider 9 axle shaft and hubs. $14,000
Wilwood brakes $3,500
Fox bump stops $1,400

$63,400

Point is Ford calls this a lightly modified suspension. Not so light if you ask me.
Man, you can order half that shit from Amazon.

No news here. Keep it moving..... :cautious:

aFordOwner

Raptor
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach-E, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Congratulations @Ford for finding ways to exploit loopholes and beat guys in their leaf sprung Toyota Pickups and Suzuki Samurais, and by throwing more money into your 3 "factory stock" race cars with professional driving teams than the rest of the 4600 class competition, combined.
Lol there is a Karen everywhere

Sponsored

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wilwood brakes $3,500
Fox bump stops $1,400

$63,400

I heard that Geiser Bros. provided the labor and modifications on the 4600 class Ford Broncos. How much was that invoice on top of the $63,400 parts bill?

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Awesome to have a real racer drop some posts here to better educate us all.

Loren did the true story of the second mortgage. However, he wasn't new to this at all. He was basically a pro rock crawler, not one of us who just hopped out from the keyboard to go racing following a moment of clarity or something silly like that.

The over focus that many have posted here on the machine themselves and how Ford must have somehow entered 4400 Broncos in the 4600 class is highly misleading to new guys here.

Then there's the "bypass" comment from someone who obviously didn't watch the race. Hell, I posted the entire 12 hours in the first link! These 4600 guys and gals did what looked impossible to me even if the camera angles didn't give the full effect; this doesn't mean the effects weren't there in real life, they were.

Anyway, it was a great week of racing. Everyone survived and don't think there were any serious injuries on the course; maybe a few from fists in Hammertown, but they'll heal up good with a story to tell. :)

Hope that may readers decide to give Ultra4 and KOH a shot next year or go back and watch some of the YouTube videos of this years race. You can always fast forward, but it's good to get a feel of what's going on out there and the commentary is often informative and sometimes pretty funny to hear.
I watched it did you? How did they run Sledge hammer and Jackhammer? Also the Bronco if you did watch it did not try the hardest obstacles. They stopped before even getting stuck and winched it which sucked because I actually wanted to see it try.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I heard that Geiser Bros. provided the labor and modifications on the 4600 class Ford Broncos. How much was that invoice on top of the $63,400 parts bill?
Whatever it was...guaranteed to be cheaper the next time around for the next guy, cause the R&D is already done.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was told the parts for each Bronco were 100k, and then add the labor. Geiser Bros is not going to be cheap. Lots of fabrication and parts to install.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I was told the parts for each Bronco were 100k, and then add the labor. Geiser Bros is not going to be cheap. Lots of fabrication and parts to install.
Oh but they were lightly modified Broncos! LMAO.
Sponsored