First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They identified a loophole and fully exploited it.
And.....? Does this "loophole" discriminate and say only Ford racing teams can use it?
It's part of racing/competing, if you're not trying to game the rulebook for an advantage you're behind. If you and others believe it unfairly gives an advantage to one group then petition for a change.
Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Congratulations @Ford for finding ways to exploit loopholes and beat guys in their leaf sprung Toyota Pickups and Suzuki Samurais, and by throwing more money into your 3 "factory stock" race cars with professional driving teams than the rest of the 4600 class competition, combined.
Don't worry, Ford has these spurts of interest in racing classes until it no longer indicates additional sales then fires everyone when they're no longer useful, see the Le Mans GT effort fielded from 2016-2019 by Chip Ganassi. They dropped that like a used Jersey whitefish.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I must have missed the option to get mine with portals from the factor. They identified a loophole and fully exploited it. Do I necessarily blame them, no. Is it exciting to see a manufacturer supporting KOH, in a way. But as someone who has followed KOH and Ultra4 since their inception, its a bit of a joke, and slap in the face to the rest of the 4600 class. Especially after all of the drama surrounding Jesse Haines last year in his Roxor.

Justin Reece won the class twice in the attached Toyota Pickup, including last year with 120hp, leaf springs, and an enthusiast with a day job at the wheel. That's who Ford just swept the podium against. But hey, they need to get something for being a title sponsor.

20210205_075623-V.jpg
So let me get this straight, you’re mad because a dude with 120 HP and leaf springs isn’t good enough to win anymore? Sounds pretty snowflakish to me. Shame on Ford for progressing the 4600 class! Lmao

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Think you may want to check out the spec for the 4600 race class. 35' tires, stock chassis, tranny, and motor. Only a lift and suspension upgrades to a few stages above Badlands is all they are.

Again, they not only survived, but won.
I know exactly what they are. The hilariousity stands. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That pickup is badass! I don’t follow KOH, can you explain the loophole? If they’re running portals in the stock class that sounds a little suspect.
That's exactly it. To keep the front end alive and maximize the ground clearance, 74Weld made a set of front portals that replace the steering knuckles. The rulebook doesn't specify stock knuckles. But when Jesse Haines bent the rules last year in a similar fashion by building a Mahindra Roxor for the same class, there was an uproar.

I'm not taking away from the fact that they completed the course, but at the end of the day they went out and beat up on the orriginal Every Man Challenge class with professional drivers (who all dropped down classes to race 4600) in full factory backed and supported vehicles.

For perspective, those portal boxes from 74weld start at $5k per box. They have 6 sets of boxes built for racing, and still have a full set of RCV's in front of them. Probably $50k right there between the 3 broncos.

Sponsored

GoneAndDusted

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Think you may want to check out the spec for the 4600 race class. 35' tires, stock chassis, tranny, and motor. Only a lift and suspension upgrades to a few stages above Badlands is all they are.

Again, they not only survived, but won.
I don't know if I'd call portals, new upper and lower control arms, new shocks, new transfer case, new rear axle, etc. as a few stages above a Badlands...

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's exactly it. To keep the front end alive and maximize the ground clearance, 74Weld made a set of front portals that replace the steering knuckles. The rulebook doesn't specify stock knuckles. But when Jesse Haines bent the rules last year in a similar fashion by building a Mahindra Roxor for the same class, there was an uproar.

I'm not taking away from the fact that they completed the course, but at the end of the day they went out and beat up on the orriginal Every Man Challenge class with professional drivers (who all dropped down classes to race 4600) in full factory backed and supported vehicles.

For perspective, those portal boxes from 74weld start at $5k per box. They have 6 sets of boxes built for racing, and still have a full set of RCV's in front of them. Probably $50k right there between the 3 broncos.
You make good points. Portal axles should not be allowed in Stock class that seems pretty obvious.

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So let me get this straight, you’re mad because a dude with 120 HP and leaf springs isn’t good enough to win anymore? Sounds pretty snowflakish to me. Shame on Ford for progressing the 4600 class! Lmao
Ford didn't "progress into" the 4600 class. They paid 4400 class drivers to step down into a class that was created in for your everyday Joe Schmoe to be able to go out and have fun on a budget after big money sponsors started getting behind what is now the 4400 unlimited class. The 4600 class was created to keep the spirit of the orriginal KOH races alive.

They beat a couple 1980's Toyota Pickups and Suzuki Samurais with a full factory backed race effort. It's not the magical accomplishment that I'm sure their marketing team will spin it into.

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't worry, Ford has these spurts of interest in racing classes until it no longer indicates additional sales then fires everyone when they're no longer useful, see the Le Mans GT effort fielded from 2016-2019 by Chip Ganassi. They dropped that like a used Jersey whitefish.
That's honestly something many are wondering about. Now that they have their podium sweep, will they actually stick around the event? Or slide quietly back into the night.

Or, what would be a whole lot cooler, could this lead to the creation of a manufacturers class. I'd love to see Ford V Jeep on the lakebed.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford didn't "progress into" the 4600 class. They paid 4400 class drivers to step down into a class that was created in for your everyday Joe Schmoe to be able to go out and have fun on a budget after big money sponsors started getting behind what is now the 4400 unlimited class. The 4600 class was created to keep the spirit of the orriginal KOH races alive.

They beat a couple 1980's Toyota Pickups and Suzuki Samurais with a full factory backed race effort. It's not the magical accomplishment that I'm sure their marketing team will spin it into.
I said they’re progressing the 4600 class not that they “progressing into” it. If they’re concerned about the little guy, KOH needs to make a class where factory backed teams aren’t allowed. Would you be just as mad if a rich individual spent a bunch of money on his rig and won?

Sponsored

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s just cool. Any other manufacturer could do the same. They did not, Ford did. Good job Ford!!!!
Honestly, they could and I would love to see the creation of a manufacturers class. That would be great for all parties, and could create some pretty cool grudge matches on the lakebed. I'm all for it, just not in 4600.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's honestly something many are wondering about. Now that they have their podium sweep, will they actually stick around the event? Or slide quietly back into the night.

Or, what would be a whole lot cooler, could this lead to the creation of a manufacturers class. I'd love to see Ford V Jeep on the lakebed.
Well they couldn't win the Baja 1000 because that is too hard, so the KoH is just as good. Watch both for diminishing involvement. Porsche has been in various sanctioned racing series since racing started with few interruptions, Mazda too, at least until Ford bought and sold a controlling stake... Some brands aren't fair-weather or advantage seeking who ares like BMW and Mini. VW is still running Dakar...

OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know if I'd call portals, new upper and lower control arms, new shocks, new transfer case, new rear axle, etc. as a few stages above a Badlands...
You can make those same mods from the kit offered from Camburg today; just a suspension upgrade.

Badlands is a stage 3 suspension. These racers are somewhere between stage 7-9. The axle is just a Dana 50, not a 1 ton or anything crazy.

there’s no supercharger either. Just the turbo 2.7 with a performance tune and race spec exhaust and air intake.

the 4400 class which races tomorrow are the race cars or in the case of Lorren Healy, a damn spacecraft on wheels with Bronco written on the front for fun. Think stock car in NASCAR. 4600 ain’t that!

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No where does it say anything about being stock, even look at the Toyota pickup. It says factory frame, factory engine, 1 shock per corner, 35" tires, etc. Doesn't preclude modifying things.