Sponsored

? How do you balance out function and feature??

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Help me rationalize my B&P priorities.

I have quite a few options to consider, but budget is budget. My biggest struggle right now is how do I want to spend that cash.

Please check out these options and let me know your thoughts. Should I go for the Samsquanch 2.7 base, or the 2.3 Mall Crawler.

FYI Customization will be occurring

Ford Bronco ? How do you balance out function and feature?? 2020-10-26_11-13-52
Sponsored

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For me it is the functional, practical side that wins. The Bronco is a built with off road capabilities first and then aesthetic considerations are made. As I explore more of how off road vehicles are accessorized I also see a form of aesthetic. I think going back to "How will I use this vehicle?" is the answer. Once you know that then you can build for aesthetics, function or a combination of the two. I am about 70% function - 30% aesthetic/comfort. Black Diamond, 2.7L, auto, Mid, Hardtop, roof rails, towing.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A few questions that you and others should ask.

Early reservation holder? If so and you intend to take the Bronco into the wild right away without waiting for the aftermarket, then you'll have to settle for Ford's accessory offerings. While some have no reservations about throwing their $40K rig at the rocks right away, most will ease into the adventure over time. If you are late reservation holder, the aftermarket will be coming online when you get your delivery. For example, Ford charges over $500 for body mounted rock rails that aren't worth that. You can do much better with the aftermarket with better quality (see the close-up photos of the Seattle event).

If you need the look/stance but not the functionality, by all means check every box. It is your note and no one else is paying for it. When you add an accessory, you aren't just paying the single line item price. But you will be paying the interest over the term of the note for that accessory. So the $500 rock rails added to the note will cost much more by the time the note is paid. That doesn't make sense to me.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All a great choices. Depends what is more important to you, Performance and functionality or Creature comforts and tech. I’m leaning towards a Base Sasquatch with manual (2.3) Because I’m more of a functionality buyer. I want the most capable Bronco for least $$$

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Personally, I think the BD is the best all around bang for the buck and most versatile. Gives you the best canvas to start with, very functional, yet room for additions. I would prefer manual (with a mid package or cold weather group wishfully), but regardless it’s the best trim to start with in my eyes. In the end it all depends on what you want it for.

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm struggling too! My wife says buy what I want as I will most likely have the Bronco for 10+ years (I've had my current F150 for 12 years). I'm not going to go crazy on a build. At the end of the day its a vehicle and will spend most of its life in my driveway as I'm currently provided a work vehicle.

The Bronco will be a 4 Door for the room. It's main use will be a convertible 4x4 DD with very limited off-roading (meaning fire roads, easy/beginner trails with no particular need for lockers).

My ideal would be a Badlands with the 2.7/Auto, but that puts me over $50K and my mental budget is ~$45K before TTL.

I would like to run top/doors off as much as possible and the Black Diamond gives me the MGV seats and rubber floor to help with water damage and I can do the Advanced 4x4 and that puts me at ~$43K with a couple other options. Tire size with this is also close to the 33's of the Badlands with room to go a touch bigger.

I've considered Big Bend builds, but if I option up from a Base I want the MGV seats so I think the Big Bend is a no go.

I've also been considering a Base 2.7/Auto and doing everything aftermarket. Base with 2.7/Auto/Mud Flaps/Floor Liners/Aux Switches is just over $36K. Gives me a lot of room for upgraded tires/wheels, seat covers, etc. I really hope that I can also option in the Advanced 4x4 T-Case w/o going Sasquatch.

Still trying to figure out best path. Future value not much of a concern as I plan on keeping it for 10+ years.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All a great choices. Depends what is more important to you, Performance and functionality or Creature comforts and tech. I’m leaning towards a Base Sasquatch with manual (2.3) Because I’m more of a functionality buyer. I want the most capable Bronco for least $$$
The Basesquatch is a great deal. For those that are looking for the most bang for their buck, it can't be beat. Get the functionality from the factory and put the lipstick on the pig as the aftermarket/budget allows.

OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A few questions that you and others should ask.

Early reservation holder? If so and you intend to take the Bronco into the wild right away without waiting for the aftermarket, then you'll have to settle for Ford's accessory offerings. While some have no reservations about throwing their $40K rig at the rocks right away, most will ease into the adventure over time. If you are late reservation holder, the aftermarket will be coming online when you get your delivery. For example, Ford charges over $500 for body mounted rock rails that aren't worth that. You can do much better with the aftermarket with better quality (see the close-up photos of the Seattle event).

If you need the look/stance but not the functionality, by all means check every box. It is your note and no one else is paying for it. When you add an accessory, you aren't just paying the single line item price. But you will be paying the interest over the term of the note for that accessory. So the $500 rock rails added to the note will cost much more by the time the note is paid. That doesn't make sense to me.
Great feedback, I am an early reservation holder, #2 at my dealership. I do plan on using off road right away. Living in Michigan, silver lake sand dunes will be first on the list. I'd not put much thought into the interest on accessories... rock rails are not critical and are more aesthetic at this point so waiting for the after market to catch up is looking like a better option. thanks

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Basesquatch is a great deal. For those that are looking for the most bang for their buck, it can't be beat. Get the functionality from the factory and put the lipstick on the pig as the aftermarket/budget allows.
2 Door Basemansquatch $35k with the Granger discount. I don’t even need all that functionality as my off-roading would primarily be just driving on beach but it’s too good a deal to pass up.

OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Personally, I think the BD is the best all around bang for the buck and most versatile. Gives you the best canvas to start with, very functional, yet room for additions. I would prefer manual (with a mid package or cold weather group wishfully), but regardless it’s the best trim to start with in my eyes. In the end it all depends on what you want it for.
The BD interior is very compelling. Especially living in Michigan, nothing but sand, clay and salt.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stone_sloth

stone_sloth

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm struggling too! My wife says buy what I want as I will most likely have the Bronco for 10+ years (I've had my current F150 for 12 years). I'm not going to go crazy on a build. At the end of the day its a vehicle and will spend most of its life in my driveway as I'm currently provided a work vehicle.

The Bronco will be a 4 Door for the room. It's main use will be a convertible 4x4 DD with very limited off-roading (meaning fire roads, easy/beginner trails with no particular need for lockers).

My ideal would be a Badlands with the 2.7/Auto, but that puts me over $50K and my mental budget is ~$45K before TTL.

I would like to run top/doors off as much as possible and the Black Diamond gives me the MGV seats and rubber floor to help with water damage and I can do the Advanced 4x4 and that puts me at ~$43K with a couple other options. Tire size with this is also close to the 33's of the Badlands with room to go a touch bigger.

I've considered Big Bend builds, but if I option up from a Base I want the MGV seats so I think the Big Bend is a no go.

I've also been considering a Base 2.7/Auto and doing everything aftermarket. Base with 2.7/Auto/Mud Flaps/Floor Liners/Aux Switches is just over $36K. Gives me a lot of room for upgraded tires/wheels, seat covers, etc. I really hope that I can also option in the Advanced 4x4 T-Case w/o going Sasquatch.

Still trying to figure out best path. Future value not much of a concern as I plan on keeping it for 10+ years.
We have very similar thoughts on this. I will be using this as my daily driver though which is another reason I lean BD

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For me it is the functional, practical side that wins. The Bronco is a built with off road capabilities first and then aesthetic considerations are made. As I explore more of how off road vehicles are accessorized I also see a form of aesthetic. I think going back to "How will I use this vehicle?" is the answer. Once you know that then you can build for aesthetics, function or a combination of the two. I am about 70% function - 30% aesthetic/comfort. Black Diamond, 2.7L, auto, Mid, Hardtop, roof rails, towing.
I agree that the key question is “how will I use this vehicle”. The problem for many of us is that we don’t know the answer to this question. This will be my first 4x4 vehicle and I am buying Tom Sheppard’s book Four x Four Driving and hanging out on the Overland Bound website and can’t wait to take my Bronco out to do what it is designed to do. But you never know with hobbies whether you will fall in love with it or move on to something else. I am splitting the difference with form and function and going Black Diamond. If I fall in love with off roading, I think it will be capable and if I don’t, this will be the most fun trip to the mall I have ever taken.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When considering options/accessories from the factory, be sure to weigh the difficulty to do it yourself, the cost (mentioned above), and the factory warranty. Something like the Aux switches make sense to me. Adding pod lights to the note doesn't when they could be added afterward especially with the wiring harness provided.

The other aspect that isn't mentioned enough is gap insurance. Loading up your build will balloon the total needing to be financed unless you intend to pay cash. If you finance more than the car is worth, you should consider gap insurance. The cost is often overlooked in many overzealous buyers.
Sponsored