Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 BL Lux Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will definitely need to come up with a solution as well, being in Georgia with the mosquitos we have here. It’s been so warm here that the other night when I slept in the Bronco with the windows partially down I was surprised by a couple of mosquitos that made their way in. Not usually an issue in late December here!
It’s a great question and one I hadn’t put too much thought into yet since this is my first vehicle that is able to accommodate sleeping inside. Looks like I’ve got a new project…
I’m in Chattanooga. We will need to do a SE meetup sometime.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am looking to do something exactly like this. Great work. Would you mind providing an update on how it’s held up since install? Is it noisy when driving, like random squeaks or anything?

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am looking to do something exactly like this. Great work. Would you mind providing an update on how it’s held up since install? Is it noisy when driving, like random squeaks or anything?
No squeaks or noises. I designed it to fit very snugly so it doesn't move with bumps, etc. Its held up well.

The only change I've considered making is possibly removing the carpet and using herculiner or something similar, as everything sticks to the carpet and it's hard to keep clean. I'm using a Husky liner for now.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No squeaks or noises. I designed it to fit very snugly so it doesn't move with bumps, etc. Its held up well.

The only change I've considered making is possibly removing the carpet and using herculiner or something similar, as everything sticks to the carpet and it's hard to keep clean. I'm using a Husky liner for now.
Thank you for the feedback! I may do something different than carpet as I have a lab and he sheds. Plus, he would get the carpet quite dirty when off the beaten path. Cheers!!

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you for the feedback! I may do something different than carpet as I have a lab and he sheds. Plus, he would get the carpet quite dirty when off the beaten path. Cheers!!
Yeah with a dog I would def avoid the carpet. If I end up using some kind of paint-on bed liner my plan is going to be to use aluminum extrusions for the exposed edges of the plywood to protect it. Even the toughest paint on liner would chip along the edges so the aluminum should prevent this. They make an extrusion specifically for using on the edge of 3/4" ply.
I hunt and fish do a lot of outdoor activities so carpet isn't really working out for me either.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Jabberwock this is incredible. The first time I took my front roof panels off I realized that I wanted a false floor to store them under, and it looks like your sleeping platform is pretty much the right height for this. It might need another 1/2 or 3/4" of clear height underneath, but you've said that it could've been that much higher and worked well anyways.

A couple of questions:
With the 3/4" plywood do you feel that it could be supported with only two supports spaced just inside the rings and still feel stiff enough to sleep on? Three years ago I'd have bought a sheet just to try it out, but not these days 🤯
Have you since discovered any kind of bi-fold for the forward piece that would let it hinge partway to clear the speakers if you wanted to have a folding system? Perhaps some countersunk hinges?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Jabberwock this is incredible. The first time I took my front roof panels off I realized that I wanted a false floor to store them under, and it looks like your sleeping platform is pretty much the right height for this. It might need another 1/2 or 3/4" of clear height underneath, but you've said that it could've been that much higher and worked well anyways.

A couple of questions:
With the 3/4" plywood do you feel that it could be supported with only two supports spaced just inside the rings and still feel stiff enough to sleep on? Three years ago I'd have bought a sheet just to try it out, but not these days 🤯
Have you since discovered any kind of bi-fold for the forward piece that would let it hinge partway to clear the speakers if you wanted to have a folding system? Perhaps some countersunk hinges?
Thanks Lakelife. if you built the platform about double the height of mine you could prob fit the two panels stacked on top one another. I like the idea and I think you'd be ok without the center support. The 3/4 ply will hold quite a bit of weight.

One option if you are concerned about deflection is to use an aluminum extrusion made to reinforce the edge of 3/4 MDF shelving along the leading and back edge of the plywood spanning the width of the vehicle. That will strengthen considerably but likely wouldn't be necessary. Having the option might make you more likely to try the build without the support since you'll have a backup plan if it deflects more than you'd like. Good luck and post some pics when you are done.

i haven't tried the bi-fold method you mentioned but would love to see someone try it. It's always great to see someone else improve upon ones original design.

Last edited:

BadDaddyP

Badlands
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to sleep in the back of my bronco last week, wife and I went camping with 2 big dogs. But as we put up the tent, a howling wind started, 50 knots, and started collapsing the tent. I gave up on that and put all the stuff into the tent to weigh it down, and all 4 of us slept in the back of the Bronco. Worked ok, we put layers of extra sleeping pads in the lower "stepped" area.
All this has me thinking I should just have some sort of base that fits and levels the 60% stepped down area and then I can lay a comfy foam pad and sleeping bag on top of it. Then I have the 40% area for storage. Overland is sometimes overcity. Slap in some shades and a vent, and I could even sleep in a walmart parking lot if I had to. In my case, I only really need room for one. If my wife travels with me, we are driving a bit further and staying in a JW (and that's not a Jeep Wrangler) or the closest **** motel.

I love this post, BTW. Oh if I had the skills y'all had, I would have made my own Bronco years ago.