Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No. MIC hardtop production for unscheduled First Edition builds will resume late this year with the updated hardtop design. I wouldn't expect this until probably November, as the new tooling still needs to be completed, installed, and tested before production of the new hard tops can begin. Once that happens, they have committed to building new MIC hardtops for all units that have already been delivered, then the "bad batch" Broncos trapped at MAP, THEN for production of new units.
I don’t know how this timeline enables them to make close to 6K FE’s by year end.

Bubba

Outer Banks
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco…what else?
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thread is obviously moving fast….I think calling the timeline for a newly designed top “optimistic” is even sunshine-pumping. While I’m quite certain Ford has been working behind the scenes to redesign the top, it seems unlikely to me that it can go from redesign to full production (for the FE’s and already built MICs at the Wayne graveyard) this quickly. Sincerely hope I am wrong. Glad I caved on the soft top, and hoping for the best for all of your MICs.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Be nice if there was a winch/camera/IC solution too by the time these tops are available

Sponsored

Jae

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not really seeing a “solution” here. And if FMC is going to punt most orders to 2021, some kind of timeline would’ve been nice or at least an indication of how we will be kept updated.

For all the talk about giving FMC a break due to the pandemic, it seems like they just had a garbage design, knew it, and tried to force it through.

They also seem keen on letting us know they have our time stamp but fully intend on pushing out soft tops to dealers so that other commodities can run into restrictions.

Sorry for the gripes, but this just sounds like more bull from Ford.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm going to throw the Hail Mary pass and switch to a soft top. I'm not waiting until summer next year to get mine.

RogueSqdn

First Edition
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

No. MIC hardtop production for unscheduled First Edition builds will resume late this year with the updated hardtop design. I wouldn't expect this until probably November, as the new tooling still needs to be completed, installed, and tested before production of the new hard tops can begin. Once that happens, they have committed to building new MIC hardtops for all units that have already been delivered, then the "bad batch" Broncos trapped at MAP, THEN for production of new units.
Earlier in the week you said I should be good, when mentioning that my build date was 8/11.

Does that still apply, or do you think the ones built this week will be ensnared by this delay?

Sponsored

Salem747

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17F350, 79FJ40 (R2.8), 08M3, 99Tacoma (TDI,40"s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Paint isn’t going to help. Regardless of Ford’s attempt to classify this as a cosmetic/appearance issue, it is a design/manufacturing issue that affects the structural integrity of the roof. Look at pictures of the delamination.
Whatever, if they plan to crush them, I would put it in a shed and save it.

Bubba

Outer Banks
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco…what else?
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wonder how this affects those of us with a FE with a blend date of tomorrow (coincidentally Friday the 13th).
I think having a blend date of Friday the 13th is right on brand for this entire relaunch, is it not?

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ross.... 1st off... I'm really not trying to be a dick here... and I know you don't work for Ford... but with that out of the way...

That line above is what I've been saying for awhile now... Design was flawed? Well Ford should've known this 2 years ago.... at the very least 1 year ago! That's pathetic that here we are, 13+ months after reservations opened up, 2+ weeks after we got an email from Ford, telling us to stay pumped because Bronco is being built and delivered. Also throw in some of your posts about how "full production" begins August 1.
Hey, you have every right to be a dick. This has been a mess.

The design issue is the unfinished edges. Initially, these were to be treated and sealed but it was never successful. The "coating" applied at the plant lasted for about a week, if that. The other issues plaguing the MIC top - thickness of outer ply, uniformity of material thickness, and forming issues within the clamshell - were perhaps made more challenging by the tooling but not necessarily impossible. This new design and tooling should aid in ALL these factors.

As for the 8/2 "full speed" production, that was the plan. Heels were firmly dug in on the engineering of the top and all fingers were pointed towards Plymouth. There was hope that the "best" of the roof units being delivered to MAP could at least be used to complete FE and stranded builds, but as more and more units were evaluated, it became clear that it was a bigger liability to release more of these out into the wild than to just scrap the thing and start over.

Like I said last night, this move HURTS... especially the "bad batch" crew of 2,200+ builds stuck at MAP, but it's absolutely the best way to address it at this juncture. A LOT of these headaches could have been alleviated by pulling the plug when the first issues became apparent, but that's not where we are.

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't like the look of the soft top. I'll wait and end up with a 2022 in the process. There isn't another vehicle I'm interested in.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait... Ford is just NOW talking about a new design and new tooling....?
Have they just sat on their hands for the last 5 months, hoping the problem would fix itself?? I'm totally taken aback...
How long before they even have a new, tested and proofed roof in production?
VINless peeps will definitely get a MY22, but all those with a VIN (with held, parked trucks) will be getting a MY21 in 2022. I hate to say it, but that sucks to be in that group.
LOT rot will certainly be a concern.
Sponsored