First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok… For everyone wildly throwing around comments and opinions on this with no basis let me give you my thoughts on this…

First, I’m a former process engineer with an automotive supplier who worked with all the manufacturers. In an 18 month period I brought on a new facility expansion with 35 work centers and 22 new vehicles including the first generation Ford Edge. I have some insights/experience in this.

1) Webasto did not get the normal ramp up period a supplier gets. COVID cut into it when their facility was delayed. Many issues would of been worked out before Build #1 if this had been normal times.

2) Everyone assuming Ford just decided this week to redesign the tops, I highly doubt this. For an issue this size, I’m sure Ford and Webasto have been working multiple contingencies. I’ll even wager that the new top has already been produced in a normal production environment on the production equipment (ie not a prototype under ideal conditions). This leads me to my next point…

3) The timeline given sounds about right for getting the new tooling in place. Not redesign/testing/production ramp up . Might even be using the same tooling with modification. Also, the molds in this application wear out with time, they are constantly being reworked/refurbished/repaired. New tooling in this case is not a big deal.

4) Give the people involved with this a break. I’m betting they have been working non-stop, 80 hrs weeks and are beyond exhausted. When I did this work it was not uncommon for me to come home at the end of the day, lay down in the middle of the living room floor and fall asleep. You don’t know what this is like and frankly, most of you aren’t up to handling it.
So Ford, Webasto and the engineers have had months to scale up the current hard top, yes in a shortened time frame. If all it takes is a “few tweaks” to existing tooling, why wasn’t this addressed in the many months beforehand? If they were so confident in producing launch tops beforehand, what makes you think they could have fully evaluated a true contingent fix for their issues? Sorry but with all the excuses being thrown around I am highly skeptical that they have solved issues, even if they believe they have solved the issues. Inherent design flaws aren’t easily worked around, for obvious reasons.
Sponsored

smoot618

Badlands
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

soft top gang just got pushed up in the queue
What do you mean if you don't mind?
I feel so many hard top orders are going to switch to soft top making it worse for us....

Fingers crossed I'm wrong, but hey, Ford. AmIRight....

Kenlutzintero

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what does this mean for soft top orders . I changed my hard top to a soft top when ford first announced if we do that then they would be built in September with the kit to install a hard top. Anyone know ?

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
By the time these become collectible, gas powered vehicles will be outlawed and unlawful to drive on the autonomous only roads..
Yup, I'm really not sure why anyone thinks these FEs will be worth anything. The only thing special about them is how hard we're getting fucked, and that doesn't exactly increase value

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m officially recommending Ford offer all current builds the following for new owners:
1. Large Funnel
2. Large Bucket
3. Sunscreen
4. Hard top color matched duct tape
5. Scream pillow
6. Calming oil
7. Drink coupons

balynn1971

Badlands
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can I ask a basic question and maybe just get a basic yes/no if that's even possible? I have a BL, Sas, 2.7, 4 door WITH a MIC top, WITH a VIN and WITH a production week of 8/30 (moved from 8/23 last week and it's the 3rd time it's been moved). Am I getting a '21 MIC and is it going to be produced the week of 8/30 based on language in this announcement and if NOT, when will it be produced (using Ford's language, not all of our smart ass sarcasm). OR does it make sense to switch to soft top and follow up to that is: Can I even switch to soft top given that I already have VIN and schedule date?

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it's a matter of working out hardtop issues, then why switch from Webasto? Ford could have Webasto work out the issues as you suggest. It seems there is more to the situation.

Also, no one forced Ford to take a slew of early reservations and orders. That's a debacle of Ford's own making. Ford wanted the PR and marketing value of early reservations, and the buy-in from customers. Well Ford got the buy-in, but cannot deliver.

Would have been better if Ford had a more traditional launch, and any delays would have simply delayed the launch, without having all these reservationists/orders hanging about.

The whole preorder situation is the influence of Tesla. Tesla changed the game with the taking of orders before production started and let's face it doesn't have a much better track record than Ford has on the Bronco. Most major launches are now taking preorders.

Bubba

Outer Banks
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco…what else?
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Me too. "Your Bronco is delayed until 2022 and Mike Levine is having sex with your wife".
I mean, it didn‘t specifically say he wasn’t having sex with your wife.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Updated by Administrator with full FAQ and Customer Satisfaction Program info.

Full Order Holder FAQ:

Order-Holder-FAQ-1.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-2.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-3.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-4.jpg
Order-Holder-FAQ-5.jpg

Awareness Communication - Upcoming Customer Satisfaction Program 21B49
(Certain 2021 Model Year Bronco Equipped with a Hard Top Roof Roof Panel Delamination)

CSP-21B49-awareness-communication.jpg

Some extra info from @PREMiERdrum

All new tooling and an altered design. It became quite clear that even when manufactured exactly to spec that the design was flawed.

The timeline here is optimistic, but the right move nonetheless.

No. MIC hardtop production for unscheduled First Edition builds will resume late this year with the updated hardtop design. I wouldn't expect this until probably November, as the new tooling still needs to be completed, installed, and tested before production of the new hard tops can begin. Once that happens, they have committed to building new MIC hardtops for all units that have already been delivered, then the "bad batch" Broncos trapped at MAP, THEN for production of new units.

Hey, you have every right to be a dick. This has been a mess.

The design issue is the unfinished edges. Initially, these were to be treated and sealed but it was never successful. The "coating" applied at the plant lasted for about a week, if that. The other issues plaguing the MIC top - thickness of outer ply, uniformity of material thickness, and forming issues within the clamshell - were perhaps made more challenging by the tooling but not necessarily impossible. This new design and tooling should aid in ALL these factors.

As for the 8/2 "full speed" production, that was the plan. Heels were firmly dug in on the engineering of the top and all fingers were pointed towards Plymouth. There was hope that the "best" of the roof units being delivered to MAP could at least be used to complete FE and stranded builds, but as more and more units were evaluated, it became clear that it was a bigger liability to release more of these out into the wild than to just scrap the thing and start over.

Like I said last night, this move HURTS... especially the "bad batch" crew of 2,200+ builds stuck at MAP, but it's absolutely the best way to address it at this juncture. A LOT of these headaches could have been alleviated by pulling the plug when the first issues became apparent, but that's not where we are.

- A few hundred.

- Yes.

The design will look very much the same (and be the same color, to those of you asking). Main points to address in the update:

- Rolled /finished edges where there were formerly raw cuts.
- Thicker, more uniform outer layer of material.
- Improved injection process to fix forming issues in the clamshell.

Also, I've seen several people asking why they can't just get their truck now with a bad roof and replace it later. Two huge problems will prevent that from happening:
- Ford doesn't want any more "bad" units running around beyond the few hundred already out there.
- They want no part of shipping any more of these things than they already have to. Freight is going be enormous on them and there is a substantial risk of damage while shipping. I doubt they have a packaging and logistics plan for them but I can imagine it's going to be incredibly costly.

Note:

Lots of people are assuming this means a new supplier, but I don't have any confirmation of that. From what I can tell, this new tooling for the MIC hardtops is being designed and paid for by Ford and will be installed at the Plymouth plant for Webasto to produce.

The MOD tops coming in 23 are from a new supplier that has yet to be publicly identified.
I just talked to my dealer about this..He was clueless....Told me he was going to check his Email...
I can't believe Ford doesn't even keep the Dealers more informed.... Since my Bronco is on Hold again .....Guess I'll order a Maverick to play with

Sponsored

Pitpup

Black Diamond
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang GT, 2008 Ford Ranger Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hmmm... 22lb package with regards to a MY22 Bronco. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! ;)
Probably the reason that 22lb package saying sorry about the hardtop is being sent.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Isn't it a few thousand? If you account to for all the MIC delivered?
A few hundred delivered plus 2,200+ in holding.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not upset about the announcement. We all kind of knew this was coming. The lack of communication has been the part that pissed me off.

Would love to know what the mic top fix really is. It has to be way way WAY more than just QC issues.
Spill it Ford.

heelyeah

Outer Banks
First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco; 2022 F150 Lightning; 2021 JT (wife's)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can I ask a basic question and maybe just get a basic yes/no if that's even possible? I have a BL, Sas, 2.7, 4 door WITH a MIC top, WITH a VIN and WITH a production week of 8/30 (moved from 8/23 last week and it's the 3rd time it's been moved). Am I getting a '21 MIC and is it going to be produced the week of 8/30 based on language in this announcement and if NOT, when will it be produced (using Ford's language, not all of our smart ass sarcasm). OR does it make sense to switch to soft top and follow up to that is: Can I even switch to soft top given that I already have VIN and schedule date?
Similar situation, moved to 8/30 (though dealer says it actually shows 9/13 now in system despite no notification from Ford). To answer your question, it sounds like we'll probably get a MY21 delivered very late in 2021 or possibly early 2022. I expect I'll get pushed to late 4Q 2021 since we're at the back of the line behind delivered, FE, and bad batch.

And no, because we have a VIN, we cannot switch to soft top. Sucks.