indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is no unspoken truth about it. Others, me included, have been saying this for months. Too many people on B6G are expecting perfection with the MIC removable top.

No top on the Bronco is going to be perfect, regardless if it is a soft top, MIC, or Modular. They all will make noise, leak water, and not stay in perfect as-delivered shape. It just the nature of an off road vehicle that has removable sections of its body.
I'm not expecting perfection from the Bronco - top or otherwise. But a top with inadequate sealed edges, interior structure showing through the outside surface, and questionable interior finish ... is not good. And I have two hardtops in my driveway currently (1998 TJ and 1985 CJ) without those issues. So it's entirely possible to not have those issues. Ford should get that stuff worked out.
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not expecting perfection from the Bronco - top or otherwise. But a top with inadequate sealed edges, interior structure showing through the outside surface, and questionable interior finish ... is not good. And I have two hardtops in my driveway currently (1998 TJ and 1985 CJ) without those issues. So it's entirely possible to not have those issues. Ford should get that stuff worked out.
Fair enough, but what is the weight of those 1985 and 1998 top solutions? I'd bet a good 30 to 80 pounds more. The CJ didn't have a sectional top IIRC.

Apples to apples would be an appropriate comparison.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fair enough, but what is the weight of those 1985 and 1998 top solutions? I'd bet a good 30 to 80 pounds more. The CJ didn't have a sectional top IIRC.

Apples to apples would be an appropriate comparison.
Jeep TJ hardtop weighs around 140lbs (per TJ site). The Bronco 2-door hardtop (per Bronco Nation) weighs 110lbs. Regardless though, the tops should have a good finish, inside/outside and on the edges. I think that should be expected.

Also I drove in a 2016 JKU the other day, and the hardtop surfaces appeared to all have a decent sealed finish. The top interior was finished and did not need any cloth covering.

Personally I like the carbon-fiberish Bronco hardtop interior, although Ford should do a better job on the evenness of the finish. I don't want that fabric covering.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The top itself looks good. I should have skipped the headliner though, it's never going to look good.
Give the headliner a good vacuuming before it fills the truck with whatever it's shedding.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just drove a mic 2.0 top bronco yesterday off road. Still pops and is a bit noisy but totally acceptable for me.
Were you able to get a look at the various edges, to see if they looked fully sealed? What did you think of the outside/inside surfaces?

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Were you able to get a look at the various edges, to see if they looked fully sealed? What did you think of the outside/inside surfaces?
Yeah. I didn't have time to take photos as it was a rushed event. This was the not so secret but secret AZ event..

The edges looked amazing on the samples I saw. No exposed cardboard and everything was rolled smoothly. I was very satisfied. Very clearly a MIC 2.0 top because the edges looked completely different than the MIC 1.0.

Still a SLIGHT honeycomb pattern on some parts, typically near the areas where the panel bends. Only noticable if you were looking for it.

I was happy with the example and would take ownership no problem.

There is still that slight popping noise that TFL mentioned but it seems like a good top otherwise. I have plans to address the popping already. It very clearly sounds like the gaskets failing to slide on the mating surface as the top goes under torsion. It's not loud, but you can hear the gasket catch and then release, making a faint snap. I took a trip in the back seat of the 2 door and could focus on the noise for a bit.

Not sure if my explanation makes sense, sorry if not.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Came via convoy sometime last night.

2.7L BB MIC SAS 4dr Cactus Gray

20210918_143711.jpg

Top is everywhere in the garage right now. I was not expecting this truck for another month. I need to clean and organize. More in depth pics to follow. Deadener looks pretty good. It's lightly shedding particles everywhere. The bolt cages where I took the top off also look chipped. The paint seems to already be affected from the bolts. I'll post that later as well. For now the bolts are back in.

2021 Bronco fixed updated revised MIC Top 2.0 confirmed 6.jpg

2021 Bronco fixed updated revised MIC Top 2.0 confirmed 4.jpg

2021 Bronco fixed updated revised MIC Top 2.0 confirmed 5.jpg

2021 Bronco fixed updated revised MIC Top 2.0 confirmed 1.jpg

2021 Bronco fixed updated revised MIC Top 2.0 confirmed 3.jpg

2021 Bronco fixed updated revised MIC Top 2.0 confirmed 2.jpg

2021 Bronco fixed updated revised MIC Top 2.0 confirmed 7.jpg

More info posted by @CO-Bronco
Hi there, Brett! Please send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!

OP
OP
TheHitmanHenson

TheHitmanHenson

Big Bend
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi there, Brett! Please send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage. I’d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!
Message has been sent. I appreciate "you" reaching out, whomever this account is run by. I look forward to your responses.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Funny how Ford claims quality till you buy it. Ford has been working on the 6G for how many years now and the roof is a mess but that's ok. Really. That sucker should be perfect. The painted top on my JKUR is perfect, no noise or leaks and finish is also perfect. I expect a new Bronco would be that good or better. For a vehicle that is supposed to beat the Wrangler this top is not doing it. I want to be a Bronco owner.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can't wait to receive my dirt mountain nightmare... I suspect that this is clearly an indication of how my replaced top will be when I finally get it... but with more dirt and damage.

OP
OP
TheHitmanHenson

TheHitmanHenson

Big Bend
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Can't wait to receive my dirt mountain nightmare... I suspect that this is clearly an indication of how my replaced top will be when I finally get it... but with more dirt and damage.
I have so much more insight now as to how Ford is going to approach their dealings with quality issues/concerns. They reached out to me via their social media team and I've been in contact with them due to the number of issues I've already had with my Bronco in only one months time. I can't wait to share our interactions and let you all know that they are continuously dropping the ball. It's laughable. They should have never contacted me through this platform but they wanted to try and save face, I guess. ...... more details to follow.
Sponsored

Last edited: