Squatch

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Jeep
Point taken, but no I do not KOH and neither do the vast majority of prospective Bronco owners. Pretending that this sort of thing is the only activity that this vehicle should be used for is not helpful to the overall conversation.

Sorry about the second part - it was edited for actual usable language shortly after the initial post. Was making pancakes again.
I used the "Do you even [blank], bro?" phrasing because I wasn't that serious about it. However, IFS has proven itself off-road and some manufacturers have really [done something unspeakable to] the pooch with some of their implementations of it, but it's not inherently a bad thing off-road. Doesn't a Hummer use IFS? ...and you can drop them out of a plane. It's all about the correct implementation. My opinion about it off-road is that an SFA will be better if you need to lift the pumpkin over large rocks in the centerline of the trail, but IFS can keep your center of gravity lower in places that will use your SFA as a lever and your low tire as the fulcrum to try and tip your rig. I prefer the IFS for what most of us--even the ones who trail it often--will be doing with our Broncos and that is driving them on poorly maintained roads. :D

I think the Jeep Wrangler is just about the only competitor to use when complaining about the towing capacity of the Bronco and it caps out at 3500lbs. You've got to look at all of the strict rules in SAE J2807. Also, if anyone wants to see the effect softer suspension (maybe more importantly, longer travel and different gearing) has on a vehicle, the Raptor loses about 3-5000 lbs of rating to a 3.5L EcoBoost F150 with less power.

Advertisement

WildTBill

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 2017 F-250
A trailer that size would require an electronic brake controller which are a pain to add but nice from the factory. Typically Fords with 7Pin trailer plugs like the Bronco tow package has, have a built in brake controller. Anybody know if the Bronco has one?

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
A trailer that size would require an electronic brake controller which are a pain to add but nice from the factory. Typically Fords with 7Pin trailer plugs like the Bronco tow package has, have a built in brake controller. Anybody know if the Bronco has one?
IIRC, Ford has said that there was no built-in brake controller available on Bronco. To your larger point, although there are a number of trucks built with 7-pin wiring, I wouldn't make the leap to say they typically have a built in controller. Until very recently, the brake controller was a stand alone option that wasn't actually wrapped into the assorted trailer tow packages on F-150. It is still stand alone, but now also included in the max-tow package (but not the lower trailer packages). My truck certainly came with the trailer tow package but not the brake controller; I added that later. Either way, I don't think that Ford plans to offer in on Bronco. Until they made recent changes, even Expedition didn't offer a brake controller, and that's rated to tow a lot more...

Used2jeep

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Clubs

Point taken, but no I do not KOH and neither do the vast majority of prospective Bronco owners. Pretending that this sort of thing is the only activity that this vehicle should be used for is not helpful to the overall conversation.

Sorry about the second part - it was edited for actual usable language shortly after the initial post. Was making pancakes again.
With blueberries?

Lakelife36

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze
Clubs

I used the "Do you even [blank], bro?" phrasing because I wasn't that serious about it.

I think the Jeep Wrangler is just about the only competitor to use when complaining about the towing capacity of the Bronco and it caps out at 3500lbs. You've got to look at all of the strict rules in SAE J2807. Also, if anyone wants to see the effect softer suspension (maybe more importantly, longer travel and different gearing) has on a vehicle, the Raptor loses about 3-5000 lbs of rating to a 3.5L EcoBoost F150 with less power.
I wasn't 100% sure - there are the occasional numpties on this forum...

I'm certainly not arguing that a soft suspension limits towing and payload, and I agree that the Raptor is a fantastic example of just that. At this point we don't know what a Bronco is actually capable of though - it could be able to tow more than 3500 if it had a higher-rated receiver. It's very suspicious that they rated every single Bronco at the rating of the Class II and makes me think that some should be able to handle more. Do we seriously believe that a 4-door non-squatched BB cannot tow more than a 2-door Wildtrak?

HoosierDaddy

Base
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos '10 Legacy GT, 85 M1028, 15 Outba
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do we seriously believe that a 4-door non-squatched BB cannot tow more than a 2-door Wildtrak?
A long, long time ago, on a very different B6G, there was a Ford insider with a VERY solid reputation and was "in the loop" for all things Bronco.
He had hinted around the Bronco having a really good tow rating for the vehicle that it is ...... so there is some solid merit to your theory.

I agree with you, I'd wish for more towing, but I am also not shocked that it matches the Jeep.
Vehicles as expensive as they are today, many cannot afford specialty vehicles for each task ....tow rigs to tow the trail rig/boat/camper ...a daily driver possibly AWD for those who have to deal with inclimate weather....minivan/suv family truckster .... talk about a tough order to fill with one vehicle.

AMB or VB 4door nonSquatch towing my old mans Ranger boat = HELL YEAH!
I'd even get the Navy pier so the interiors would match!!!! LOL
1610321293080.png

I've titled this fishing in the rain pic, "Better than a good day working." LOL

Advertisement

Advertisement