Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apparently it depends how full you want your batteries to be. I’ve heard they charge quickly…. Like 20-30 minutes to get to 80% but then that last 20% is essentially a trickle charge and can take hours if not over night. No personal experience though.

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apparently it depends how full you want your batteries to be. I’ve heard they charge quickly…. Like 20-30 minutes to get to 80% but then that last 20% is essentially a trickle charge and can take hours if not over night. No personal experience though.
Wrong!

Depends upon the voltage and amperage available to charge, the manufacturer of the vehicle, and the size of the vehicles batteries. Temperature can also have an effect, but less so than other factors.

Bronc-Itus

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 F250, ‘88 4Runner(sold)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrong!

Depends upon the voltage and amperage available to charge, the manufacturer of the vehicle, and the size of the vehicles batteries. Temperature can also have an effect, but less so than other factors.
I appreciate you pointing out my wrongness… but could you perhaps offer an answer to the question of how long does it take? You’ve introduced other variables but no range of time to compare to my wrong answer. Am I wrong by minutes? Hours? Really just looking for a general range.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How fast can a Mach-E charge?

250 kWh of Complimentary Fast Charging

The Mustang Mach-E with extended-range battery and RWD can add an estimated 59 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes and go from 10% to 80% battery charge in 45 minutes** while charging on a DC fast charging station.

To fully charge the Mustang Mach-E with the 240V Ford Mobile Charger it would take approximately 15 hours. With a faster charger able to deliver 10.5kW the charge time drops to around 10 hours

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think 40min might get u close to 80% charged but who is good with 80% I want 100% and for that it’ll be several hours. Ford is working on a liquid cooled charging cable claiming 5min charge times so tech will improve over the years. Another concern of mine is how quiet electric is. Every time I see some a-hole blow a stop sign or drive like hell in a neighborhood I’m glad they’re driving a gas hog otherwise pedestrians wouldn’t hear them coming.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

t takes only about 30 minutes to 1.5 hours to charge any model of Tesla at the charging stations using a super charger. If you are using a Tesla Model S or X, it will take close to 1 hour. While a Tesla Model 3 or Y will take 30 to 45 minutes to fully charge the battery.

Atlis predicts their skateboard units, using proprietary tech, will fully charge in 15 minutes with a 400-500 mile range, which if they ever produce a vehicle themself may set the industry in a tizzy

But say you have a normal electric vehicle with a stated 300 mile til empty range - you are not going to travel 300 miles unless you have the generator in the trunk like the one post. More like 250 on flat terrain at "room" temperature before you need to recharge, and if it tales 15 minutes to recover 80%, meaning you can now go 200 miles, then another 200 to travel 640 miles at 80 mph is 8 hours of transit plus 45 minutes of recharging. Now using an ICE vehicle with a range of 400 miles per tank, you stop once for a fillup for 5 minutes, same trip takes 8:05 instead of 8:45, what can you do with that extra 40 minutes?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrong!

You make legit points, but the other dude isn't "wrong!"
True, not all charge stations offer highest level of charge... And sometimes the ones that do will also not provide full power if other chargers are in use...
All passenger car EV's have battery capacities that are very similar... And use similar battery chemistry. Whereas before you could rapid charge too 100%, and maybe still can, but those lithium batteries don't like that, and going 100% every charge is taking life outta the cells. Charging to 80/85% adds significant life to the battery pack as a whole.
Since most EV drivers plug their cars in every night, what's the point of rapid charging to 100%?
Too answer the OP, charging any EV definitely takes longer than filling a ICE vehicle with gasoline lol

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrong!

I know from a friend’s experience that your last statement is false. He was staying at a VRBO that only had 120VAC 15A outlet available for him to charge his wife’s Tesla in -23C weather. Virtually all the power went to heating the batteries, and very little went to actual charging. He was getting about 1km per hour of charging at the worst of the cold! It took him days to get enough charge to drive back to a rapid charger.

This is very hard on the battery pack as well and will shorten its effective life.

Sponsored

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I know from a friend’s experience that your last statement is false. He was staying at a VRBO that only had 120VAC 15A outlet available for him to charge his wife’s Tesla in -23C weather. Virtually all the power went to heating the batteries, and very little went to actual charging. He was getting about 1km per hour of charging at the worst of the cold! It took him days to get enough charge to drive back to a rapid charger.

This is very hard on the battery pack as well and will shorten its effective life.
wow- it seems like for around town use ev's are fine and if it's a hybrid where you can gas it up and get a whole bunch of range that's great but as far as roadtripping a pure ev, at this point it is just too much work/anxiety for me. i can't add 45 mins to my travel time. maybe if the ICE had never been invented we would accept this but given the ease of ICE refueling and the fact that you can carry more fuel onboard, i don't see how people are talking about everything being electric in a few years. seems like we have a ways to go before that

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wow- it seems like for around town use ev's are fine and if it's a hybrid where you can gas it up and get a whole bunch of range that's great but as far as roadtripping a pure ev, at this point it is just too much work/anxiety for me. i can't add 45 mins to my travel time. maybe if the ICE had never been invented we would accept this but given the ease of ICE refueling and the fact that you can carry more fuel onboard, i don't see how people are talking about everything being electric in a few years. seems like we have a ways to go before that
Take it from an engineer who’s done a deep dive into this topic - BEV adoption will never be to the idealistic levels envisioned. Besides the physical limitations of the components, the mining needed to provide the metals for the consumable components is absolutely excessive.

CobraKaiSG

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Take it from an engineer who’s done a deep dive into this topic - BEV adoption will never be to the idealistic levels envisioned. Besides the physical limitations of the components, the mining needed to provide the metals for the consumable components is absolutely excessive.
agreed- i just don't get why people are talking about it as if it's imminent reality- i can't imagine we are going to have the power grid capable of charging all those cars and enough charging stations anytime soon besides as you said the rare metals for the batteries- i do think they are kind of cool for local driving but i don't see complete conversion like we're being told

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is from the promo docs for the F150 lightning. Standard battery is 230mi range, Extended is 300mi. The Extended range battery has a higher spec charging system to accept faster charging.

Ford Bronco 🚲🚲How Long Does It Take to Charge an Electric Car----No Politics--- lightning charging.JPG

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I wish there were more BHEV or BEV off-roaders out there. My workplace has free charging so I would hardly ever have to pay for the electricity to charge it.
Sponsored