Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 F350 PSD, 05 Excursion PSD, VW-TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And to think I had an advantage with a Covoy delivery. Boy was I wrong ๐Ÿ˜‚
Can anyone explain why there is a shortage of truck drivers.
I can't imagine enough truck drivers had to stay home to watch their kids during the 2020 Covid lock down to cause a shortage.
Or that there were enough truck drivers that were infected with Covid to make an impact on available truck drivers.

They are essential personnel they should be working.
Everyone in our household is considered essential personnel, and none of us have missed any appreciable amount of time off work, aside from normal PTO.

It's not like there was a slow down of products to ship. If anything there would have been a greater demand to ship all of that toiler paper.
Sponsored

tippydee

Badlands
First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four Mustangs (68, 89, 94, 14)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't imagine enough truck drivers had to stay home to watch their kids during the 2020 Covid lock down to cause a shortage.
Or that there were enough truck drivers that were infected with Covid to make an impact on available truck drivers.

Everyone in our household is considered essential personnel, and none of us have missed any appreciable amount of time off work, aside from normal PTO.

It's not like there was a slow down of products to ship. If anything there would have been a greater demand to ship all of that toiler paper.
Many were sent to ports to help offload ships because there is a massive bottleneck to my understanding. So a lot of cargo inland has been put on the back burner for those longer hauls.

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi, Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is me too with 10/12 eta and Iโ€™m in Dallas
You might want to check with your dealer. I'm in Allen and my Bronco just arrived at Bob Tomes Ford in McKinney. I would assume yours would be on the same train and hauler.

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

There's also just a shrinking number of drivers, coupled with increased demand. Not a lot of people a signing up to be long haul these days. Long periods on the road away from family is not appealing to many.

PAULWESTSKI

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 F350 PSD, 05 Excursion PSD, VW-TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's also just a shrinking number of drivers, coupled with increased demand. Not a lot of people a signing up to be long haul these days. Long periods on the road away from family is not appealing to many.
Well if they are paying fast food workers 15$ an hour, the trucking companies need to up their game and pay the truck drivers more money......yeah I know ultimately the end user will foot the bill for that.

Sponsored

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well if they are paying fast food workers 15$ an hour, the trucking companies need to up their game and pay the truck drivers more money......yeah I know ultimately the end user will foot the bill for that.
That's kind of the thing though, right? Like, fast food and a handful of industries are figuring it out, but not all of them. There's a Jimmy Johns that's trying to start people at minimum wage and is wondering why no one will work there. Like, why work there for $7.50 or whatever when McDonalds or Del Taco will start them at $15. Truck drivers are getting paid like $20-30 an hour, and are like, I could just work McDonalds for $15 and be near home, so why do it for $20 or so an hour.
More industries are going to need to up their pay if they want to keep the talent on domestic shores.

Hoosier.Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hoosier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 KR, 2011 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's kind of the thing though, right? Like, fast food and a handful of industries are figuring it out, but not all of them. There's a Jimmy Johns that's trying to start people at minimum wage and is wondering why no one will work there. Like, why work there for $7.50 or whatever when McDonalds or Del Taco will start them at $15. Truck drivers are getting paid like $20-30 an hour, and are like, I could just work McDonalds for $15 and be near home, so why do it for $20 or so an hour.
More industries are going to need to up their pay if they want to keep the talent on domestic shores.
Personal experience having dump trucks running on the road all the time. Truckers make 30-50hr. DOT restrictions are a huge down fall for long haul.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personal experience having dump trucks running on the road all the time. Truckers make 30-50hr. DOT restrictions are a huge down fall for long haul.
I should admit that I don't actually know the salary of truck drivers, lol.
I was just guesstimating. :ROFLMAO:

Looking it up for long-haul though, looks like I wasn't too far off base.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/Long-Haul-Truck-Driver-Salary

Around $31 an hour on average. That's not a lot in todays money, with always being on the move, and extremely long shifts.

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yeah, I don't buy the trucker shortage narrative. I work for an OEM and our output has remained around 700 vehicles/day and the total number in our yard has remained constant. Trucks come in and out all day long just as they always have.

Also, isn't there a massive vehicle shortage due to the lack of chips? You would think this would mean that there would be an excess of truck drivers with car haulers looking for work, not the other way around. A car hauler can do 1 thing, and that's haul cars.

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Latest update to the rail car delivering my Bronco (I hope!) to Petersburg, VA. May include deliveries for @tippydee and @timgarrett but we have no evidence of that. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž๐Ÿคž

Edit: It departed Bellevue last night at 22:03.

Screenshot 2021-10-04 083643.png
If I'm understanding Norfolk Southern's voice system correctly (not always easy), the rail car is at the Poe Automotive Distribution Facility in Petersburg as of 2:45 pm!!! Gosh I hope I'm right! Hopefully my dealer will get it tomorrow, and I'll drive down either tomorrow or Saturday to get my rig!

I'm only sorry that it didn't arrive with its FWBB, right @tippydee ???

Ford Bronco ๐Ÿ›  9/6/21 Build Week Group Screenshot 2021-10-07 151500

Last edited:

Sponsored

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why did Ford choose to use a box truck as their delivery icon...can they not do anything right? It's not like Broncos can fit into an Amazon delivery truck....plus it's not even a Transit. :LOL:

:cautious:
The same reason that the 'Save' icon in your computer apps is a 3.5" floppy disk! :ROFLMAO:

tippydee

Badlands
First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four Mustangs (68, 89, 94, 14)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I'm understanding Norfolk Southern's voice system correctly (not always easy), the rail car is at the Poe Automotive Distribution Facility in Petersburg as of 2:45 pm!!! Gosh I hope I'm right! Hopefully my dealer will get it tomorrow, and I'll drive down either tomorrow or Saturday to get my rig!

Lol yeah, didnโ€™t make it there with its FWBB on that same train which SUCKS. You need to have a talk with yours about the buddy system and how it had the audacity to leave mine behind like that. Fingers crossed on tomorrow being the big day for you! Iโ€™m super jealous, but happy yours finally made it.

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

So, from Blend Date to (hopefully) at Dealer tomorrow in a month? Seems long, no? I only started following when you were in the WV Appalachians, so I might have missed something.

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Does Ford send out a "Delivered" email once it lands at the dealership, or do I just have to keep bugging my dealer?