Sponsored

0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

who explained that it was "a perfect storm" of a situation and between the wind, the type of snow and the temperature.
How about a perfect warranty claim to go with the perfect storm BS?
Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Quick update;

Ford has said that they will not question the dealerships assessment and that nothing will be covered (hotel, car, shipping from the dealership to our local dealership) because the issue was not warrantable... major bummer.

We talked with the Dealership warranty individual (the nicest individual we have dealt with thus far), who explained that it was "a perfect storm" of a situation and between the wind, the type of snow and the temperature. They (dealership) are going to attempt to advocate on our behalf in the form of "good-faith" when we open a new case - "to get fresh eyes on it", but that is currently where we sit.
So what was the assessment on what caused the damage? What are the dealership personel saying caused the water to be in the intake?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm still calling BS here....the airbox has a drain hole built in to prevent this exact problem. Maybe yours was defective or plugged? I would ask to see if the drain hole was working as it was supposed to. Surprising this wasn't the first place they would look for the issue. Common sense.

20230107_074442.jpg

20230107_074454.jpg

OP
OP
Oomeeno

Oomeeno

Black Diamond
First Name
Auggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm still calling BS here....the airbox has a drain hole built in to prevent this exact problem. Maybe yours was defective or plugged? I would ask to see if the drain hole was working as it was supposed to. Surprising this wasn't the first place they would look for the issue. Common sense.

Ford Bronco 0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response. 20230107_074454

Ford Bronco 0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response. 20230107_074454
Ok, I asked the dealership and they said the techs notes indicate that the filter became saturated enough that parts of paper actually came off (potentially causing the blockage). But the "puddle" was more than likely due to the temp being so low over the next few days after the incident (-10 to -15) that water froze when attempting to leave the box.

I gotta be honest, none of this makes sense but the dealership is 5 hours away and I can't inspect the car myself or head out there to check it out myself. In addition to that we are a one car family (intentionally) and we are pushed to get this vehicle back as fast as possible.

My frustration says keep questioning and fighting this, but I gotta be real that after 2 weeks of making no headway, I just gotta get my rig back. I guess, just use this as a cautionary tale more than anything.

Sponsored

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Being a service manager for Ford, yes, the guys y'all are bashing (lol, I say that light heartedly) something doesn't sound right. Like others that have plowed through water, snow etc... hell even the Everglades has a damn snorkel on it that could get packed with snow while driving, lots of questions to be asked.

You always have to error in favor of the customer. I hate that this has happened to you, especially while traveling and not at your hometown/selling dealer which yes, unfortunately does make a difference to some.

Some have posted about the weep hole in the air box, if it is that cold out and wet, that hole "could" freeze up so there isn't any drainage. What I honestly think is something was lose from the factory that wasn't apparent to the naked eye...poor fitment of the lid is most common I see. Had you had an oil change done anywhere before your trip since you were at 7K on the trip? If you did, did that person check the airbox and not snap it down properly? Not knowing your vehicle were any aftermarket accessories installed that caused someone to be under the hood that may have accidently knocked something lose, I don't know but those are all things we have to think about.

Yes it sucks, Ford warranty sucks and pins a lot back on the dealer and forces dealers to make the call so we get stuck with the fallout. Warranty chargbacks, poor surveys from customers, google, yelp and everything else the public hold us accountable for because big brother turns their head but it is taken out mostly on the dealer as the bad guys.

With Ford or any MFG for that matter, anything that is or could be considered an "outside influence" is non-warrantable. Ford will charge it back to the dealer in a heartbeat. It is up to the dealer to determine the cause of failure for the customer and for Ford motor company. Since what I am reading without knowing all the facts is that water (an outside influence) caused the damage then Ford will not stand behind it nor should the dealer, it's black and white unfortunately in the warranty and policy manual. But... "But" it is also up to the dealer to prove part failure as to what was the cause of the water intrusion. My gut tells me something was lose either from someone under there or something not secured correctly. What really sucks about it is after it rolls out of the factory a lose air filter housing would be considered something someone could mess with or alter, not like a failed hard part or electrical part, a lot harder to prove.

I would call 800-392-3673, Fords customer care line. You will get one of the Tier 1 hourly peeps that don't know much of anything but ask to be transferred to a manager and tell your story. Be polite but firm and fair, I have seen Ford help a lot of people in your situation but you got to have all your facts. As I said above, always error in favor of the customer and upper Ford management usually will.

One of y'all mentioned a windshield crack. Glass is a whoooooole different thing with Ford. In over 20 years I've seen maybe 2 glass claims paid. Simple test, run a ballpoint pen down the crack, if it stops, it's a chip and not covered, Ford has an entire slideshow on it unfortunately.

Someone also mentioned aftermarket warranties, those don't kick in until after your base/powertrain expires so that has no bearing on anything under factory warranty regardless if it's Ford ESP or anyone else.... and yes, I would sell a Ford ESP in a heartbeat over the aftermarket crap on the streets....they are a nightmare to work.

Remember even us dealership guys are human too. People think of us as scum, a$$holes and call us everything in the book a lot. It's actually a very unrewarding job dealing with the general public. Just remember, we put on our pants the same way as everyone else does and have others we have to answer too as well.

Good luck with your claim, hopefully you can get to someone up top that can help but I would definately be in touch with the GM at your selling dealer so he can talk to the rep, especially if you are a good Ford customer

Last edited:

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ford is one of the hardest to get warrantee work covered. I never buy their extended warranty. I use geico mechanical breakdown coverage. Never a problem. Ford will deny everything given the slightest chance. They dont care about repeat customers.
I never even knew about this coverage from Geico, was the cost similar? I was looking at the $50 Granger deal.

Both my Triumph & Mazda are with Geico, their motorcycle was the lowest every time I've checked by a considerable amount, three bikes many years.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ya, this is Ford... I find this assessment of what caused the damage completely unfathomable. I have been through flash flooding with my Bronco where I had been completely caught off guard at 50 mph regarding the depth of the water and it was unreal how much water was tossed up, not a damn drop ended up soaking the air filter. Even if the air filter was soaked, it should not be coming apart like that. I pulled out my air filter at over 40k miles and it still looked almost new despite dust, water, off-roading, etc. Something isn't right.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok, I asked the dealership and they said the techs notes indicate that the filter became saturated enough that parts of paper actually came off (potentially causing the blockage). But the "puddle" was more than likely due to the temp being so low over the next few days after the incident (-10 to -15) that water froze when attempting to leave the box.

I gotta be honest, none of this makes sense but the dealership is 5 hours away and I can't inspect the car myself or head out there to check it out myself. In addition to that we are a one car family (intentionally) and we are pushed to get this vehicle back as fast as possible.

My frustration says keep questioning and fighting this, but I gotta be real that after 2 weeks of making no headway, I just gotta get my rig back. I guess, just use this as a cautionary tale more than anything.
Maybe drill out the drain hole a bit bigger on your airbox to protect your new engine..😁

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Honestly, this kinda reminds me of the more door we've seen sometime ago, that was swamped at the beach by the idiot owners mistakes...any seaweed in the airbox??? 😅🤣😂

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It is nearly impossible to get that amount of water in there...

I'm no engineer but it seems like there are fins and guides that are designed to prevent that.
Ford Bronco 0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response. 1673295140693

OP
OP
Oomeeno

Oomeeno

Black Diamond
First Name
Auggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I'm no engineer but it seems like there are fins and guides that are designed to prevent that.
I'm not a car engineer, but I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and I am slightly inclined to agree with you. That being said, ford is not budging. The dealership warranty team is 100% not covering it so I think I am just going to pick up my car and look for alternative Solutions that don't restrict air flow while not allowing this to happen again.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response. 1673295140693
I was waiting for this post. Additionally, that intake duct into the airbox has a 2x4 flap at the bottom so that if water was poured into the intake it would simply drain out the bottom before even reaching the filter box. Stick your hand in there and you can easily feel and manipulate it.

While I can see air condensing on the filter as a challenge given moisture rich air and temp differences under the hood vs ambient, I don't understand what made this scenario different from the dozens of other scenarios where environmental factors are identical and no one else had this issue. It's a paradox and unfortunate for the OP.
Sponsored