Sponsored

0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are areas where I've seen stuff infiltrate the intake. The back side is sealed fairly well but too many penetration areas between the front and rear sealing areas. Also, the water diverter door works with water coming in but it also flops around while driving since there's nothing to hold it closed. Would be one thing if they had a design that acted like a one way valve but it isn't.

Ford Bronco 0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response. Inked1673295140693
Sponsored

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm highly considering my Bronco will never darken the dealership's door. I've had tremendous service from BMW and have never had a claim denied and kinda just expected most to be that way, sucks you have to fight so hard for something you know you didn't cause.

chartzilla

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover Disco 2, '79 Corvette, '17 Elantra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are areas where I've seen stuff infiltrate the intake. The back side is sealed fairly well but too many penetration areas between the front and rear sealing areas. Also, the water diverter door works with water coming in but it also flops around while driving since there's nothing to hold it closed. Would be one thing if they had a design that acted like a one way valve but it isn't.

Ford Bronco 0.01 Inches of snow broke my Bronco and this is Fords response. Inked1673295140693
Ever since I read this thread I've been keeping an eye on my intake area... I've noticed that after car washes the area around the fins/grill to the right of this picture has water around it, and even some looks like it made it to the trap door before the intake.

Also we had some moderate snow today and there when I got home I noticed a fair bit of snow around the same fins/grill area of the intake.

Would that be considered normal?

Tom_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 FJ40, 2011 X5D, 2019 Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm highly considering my Bronco will never darken the dealership's door. I've had tremendous service from BMW and have never had a claim denied and kinda just expected most to be that way, sucks you have to fight so hard for something you know you didn't cause.
I agree with the service from BMW, Audi as well. Those are the only cars I've bought new and wouldn't have ever considered they would deny an issue. I need to worry about that with Ford?

I had maybe a similar thing happen with my X5 as the OP. I had it for about a year and it felt like it was in limp mode but without any warning lights. Dealer said water got into the turbos somehow and they needed to be replaced. It took a couple weeks to get it back. No hassle, no questions, no problems, covered under warranty. I also got a M5 as a loaner that wasn't as good as my old E39 M5.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ever since I read this thread I've been keeping an eye on my intake area... I've noticed that after car washes the area around the fins/grill to the right of this picture has water around it, and even some looks like it made it to the trap door before the intake.

Also we had some moderate snow today and there when I got home I noticed a fair bit of snow around the same fins/grill area of the intake.

Would that be considered normal?
Don't know but it looks like they designed it to have at least some air come in through that area. If you suspect excessive stuff is getting in there, go to hardware store and get a piece of pre filter media and weave it through the ribs. Should catch the bigger stuff but still let plenty of air through. Might help confirm or rule out that area as an intrusion point. If I decide to do any serious off-roading, there are some areas where I'm going to put extra silicone rubber deflectors. Below that opening is one of them. Not going to block it off completely, just some extra baffling below to deflect a direct shot of mud/water from bleow.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It practically rained solid for the first 5 weeks I own my Bronco. Remembering this thread I was concerned, so I opened up the air box and the filter was perfectly dry, no signs of water damage, and could find no water inside the box.

I did see that little flap pointing downwards that flip mentioned... Was half tempted to seal that off but I believe it's whole purpose is as a bypass in case the front intake gets plugged.

I actually have some universal pre-filter media from an old K&N project I did years ago...maybe I should put some of that in there since I have it.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

look for alternative Solutions that don't restrict air flow while not allowing this to happen again.
After reading this whole thread, Iā€™m thinking whatever ā€œhappenedā€ will most likely not ā€œhappen againā€. Hereā€™s my logicā€¦

Too many others have driven through way worse than what you described with no problem. Which tells me, it is not a design flaw with the Bronco air intake system. It had to be something wrong with YOUR Bronco.

Of course - nobody here can possibly know what that something was. Loose air box from a prior service call? Installing aftermarket item? Maybe loose from day-one when Ford built the damn thing? Terrorist sabotage? There is just no way to know. (which, btw, is exactly why Ford denied your warranty claim. )

But what Iā€™m taking away from this is - something was wrong on your vehicle and (most likely) whatever that something was will be resolved when the service tech replaces the damaged parts. e.g. if it was a loose air box, it wonā€™t be loose any more. Whatever.

So I think you can sleep at night going forward that this was just one of those unfair moments in life that we all hate - but always pass. There is a very high likelihood that your Bronco will drive through rain, sleet and snow in the future with no ill effects.

Nowā€¦.on the off chance that this happens againā€¦wellā€¦..now we have a whole ā€˜nother thread on our hands

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We got some complementary oil fills from the dealer after buying a Kia for my wife. Dealer wildly overfilled the engine, so much that I had to carefully drain out a quart. Subaru also overfilled my other car.

It's more of a pain, but now I change oil myself, using full synthetic on deals from Walmart. It's hard to trust some folks these days working on your car unfortunately. If you've found a skilled and trusted mechanic that is gold.

SVTPete83

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cobra, 92 Bronco, 2011 Raptor, Vans RV9A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This looks like an insurance issue not a warranty issue.
Sponsored