Sponsored

1/4 mile drag race: Bronco Raptor vs First Edition vs Jeep 392 (by TFL)

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The people who are getting raptors are people with golden tickets.
True, definitely important. I don’t know how you fairly compare those two though. Jeep Wrangler 392 has been on the market for full year already, while this is the first production year for the Bronco.

But I guess to your point… if you are actively trying to buy these vehicles, being able to obtain them is important.

Honestly I’m not someone who would buy these vehicles—I max out at $50,000 unless it’s necessary for a job or I can somehow make money from my vehicle. But I do wonder how people who are looking at these vehicles would behave. If someone is shopping for a F-150 Raptor (still somewhat difficult to find new), would they be willing to switch to a RAM 1500 TRX since they seem to be wildly available?? Or are they holding out for that F-150 Raptor??

I know sports car people are very “sticky”. If they want a Mustang they only want a Mustang. They don’t want a Dodge Charger even if the Charger is a significantly better purchase. If you’re looking to buy a Corvette… that’s what you want—you don’t want a Viper. If that mentality applies to pickups and off-road vehicles too, then it doesn’t matter what they price them at. Wrangler people are going to get a Wrangler 392 and Bronco people are going to get the Bronco Raptor.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s more like Jeep pulled the allocation requirement giving all dealers opportunities to order multiple 392s. Jeep is actually able to build the products their peddling not like ford who’s been stringing people along for years.
Yea but jeeps still suck. Literally trash. 392 only gonna last 5-10 years at most.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Cool, show me. I’ll be happy to call up the dealer and buy one at msrp.
I am not a GT holder, I was number 2 at my local dealer for Bronco orders. Dealer got 3 additional Bronco Raptor allocations. Because I was his second reservation, he offered me a Raptor at MSRP, but he gets my Loaded Badlands 2 door. His other two will have ADM.

You didn't say walk in off the street. You said who wasn't a GT but go ahead and move the goal posts to achieve whatever you need.
Very true, highly like to get Raptor walking in off the street at this point no ADM. Several None GT holders, but reservation holders have been able to get on with No ADM. Several GT holders have been screwed with ADM

OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am not a GT holder, I was number 2 at my local dealer for Bronco orders. Dealer got 3 additional Bronco Raptor allocations. Because I was his second reservation, he offered me a Raptor at MSRP, but he gets my Loaded Badlands 2 door. His other two will have ADM.

Very true, highly like to get Raptor walking in off the street at this point no ADM. Several None GT holders, but reservation holders have been able to get on with No ADM. Several GT holders have been screwed with ADM
The GT holders that are being screwed is complete BS. They should be able to move their orders to a dealer that will sell at MSRP but from what I understand that’s still locked and their SOL. In the next 5 years ford will transition to direct to consumer with only service centers and the dealers are mainly responsible for their own demise.

Sponsored

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am not arguing but good point how many reservation orders for a Jeep 392 versus Bronco orders? Just curious and no hate to the op and thread.

OP
OP

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am not arguing but good point how many reservation orders for a Jeep 392 versus Bronco orders? Just curious and no hate to the op and thread.
For the 21MY Jeep built 6407 392 wranglers. They started with a specific dealer allocation then changed it to a first come first served basis. As long as it was marked as a sold order with a name attached to it they scheduled it. Once they reached the number they wanted to build for that year (6407) they rolled the remaining orders into the next MY. AFAIK they did not give any dealers stock units. Besides the golden ticket holders ford stuck to dealer allocations, which I’m sure it is attached to some BS sales metric which is almost impossible to get these days. Out of curiosity I called 10 Ford dealers inquiring about the bronco raptor, 7 of them didn’t get any allocations while the other 3 (larger dealerships) got 3 each.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The GT holders that are being screwed is complete BS. They should be able to move their orders to a dealer that will sell at MSRP but from what I understand that’s still locked and their SOL. In the next 5 years ford will transition to direct to consumer with only service centers and the dealers are mainly responsible for their own demise.
I agree that charging the GT holders an ADM is complete BS. I agree they should be able to move their GT order to another dealer. It seems Ford will not even step in and help them do that. Truly bull crap, these people have been waiting dam near 2 years.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why ford did not do the 3.5 is beyond me or from the start make the frame wide enough to put a v8 in. These two are really apples to oranges. High speed runner then the Braptor. To wide for a trail rig most places in the country. You want a trail rig then the 392 is awesome. Now for the people saying 1/4 miles does not mean much is now completely accurate. It is a great controlled test for power to weight ratio. If it was a pure top speed I would agree.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m not sure why I would want a 392, other than huh-V8 …

I guess if you were lifting, putting Dana 60’s and 40’s on it, and then running it at altitude where you needed to make up for HP loss, but I would think the diesel would be better in that case.

Wonder what the RTI is on a Raptor vs a stock Recon Edition Rubicon or 392?

Width is probably the limiting factor for the Raptor, whereas stock lift limits the 392 on the trail. There is no way you drive a 392 as fast as a Raptor on dirt.
Sponsored