Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One more thing: buy the splash guards. I ordered some from Ruxer Ford as soon as I got home. Trust me.
can you post pics of your splash guard? Didn't you have to modify it?

btw i used "Invisible Glass" for the first time .... the stuff is incredible in the rain ... $4 at walmart
Sponsored

PNWbroncoFam1977

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4Runner, 97 Montero, 2016 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great write up! My only question is if you had the speedometer recalibrated after going up 2 tire sizes? If not then I can 100% tell you that the MPG you are seeing on the dash is not correct. Im glad to hear that the 2.3 has plenty of power on the highway with the added tire size and fully loaded. Make my decision to go that route in my BD much more comfortable.

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The locker shouldn't affect fuel economy when not locked...are you saying that you are running 75-80mph on the highway with the rear locked?
It's not the locker, it's because the factory option comes with shorter 4.27 gearing so higher RPMs in 10th gear. Pretty sure the locker is limited to under 20 mph or so anyway.

garber

Outer Banks
First Name
Dak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also did the 2.3 with the 4.27 rear end & locker. I'm curious as to how much different the acceleration is compared to the 3.73s?

I wouldn't expect a huge difference, but I feel as if you'd hit powerband quicker with them. Plus, that locker will be a huge help when off-roading. To me, it was a no-brainer to add that on given the price of it compared to the price of going to a shop and paying to re-gear - MPG aside of course!

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great write up! My only question is if you had the speedometer recalibrated after going up 2 tire sizes? If not then I can 100% tell you that the MPG you are seeing on the dash is not correct. Im glad to hear that the 2.3 has plenty of power on the highway with the added tire size and fully loaded. Make my decision to go that route in my BD much more comfortable.
No, haven't done that yet. It's only a 1.9% difference in diameter actually. But I calculated based on actual fuel used and compared to the trip computer and they were very close anyway.

Sponsored

JCAntimatter

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 4Runner TRD PRO, Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

RainX works fantastic! A major game changer

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the review and good to hear getting miles on your new ride. 17-18 is a little surprising as I figured the 2.3 and 33’ tires would be 20+ MPG.
I’m 1100 miles on on my 4 door with 2.7 and 35’s Nittos (also an E rated tire) and sitting at 17.3 MPG with mostly 70-75 mpg highway miles and 1 off road weekend

PS I’m in Texas and seeing more and more Broncos on the road each weekend is awesome!

F2287850-9D48-422C-885C-1CCD7752DFD0.jpeg

4FBFB195-5C3D-45F3-B5EC-A81B08F5C934.jpeg
I got 13.5 MPG for my 2.7 SAS driving from Houston to San Antonio last weekend.....what's your secret sauce for getting 17? Going 70 MPH on the highway in Texas is an easy way to get run over.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I use rain-x windshield washer fluid in all my vehicles. It makes cleaning them easier, and it really helps in the rain. The wrangler flat upright windshield just like the bronco doesn't shed rain well going down the highway. The high pressure area right at the cowling basically just makes the water hang in the middle of the windshield and eventually run off to the side as it builds up. The slope on the windshield of a normal car allows the air to blow the water right off when waxed/rain-x coated.

I see broncos every day in the Chattanooga area. Jeeps and subarus and Teslas and other niche or lifestyle vehicles are very common around here.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend I took my family on a road trip from San Diego to Phoenix, total was around 1000 miles consiting of lots of varied condtions (open highway, city, rain, up to 4200ft altitude). We were fully loaded with four people, two dogs, and a family's worth of food, lugage, and Christmas gifts. I'll keep my hot-takes brief so nobody gets bored readng this, but here are a few notible observations (Note - I have a 2.3L/AT 4dr Big Bend, MIC Top, 4.27 rear w/locker, stock except for 285/70R17 Kenda Klever AT2 tires):

1) The near vertical front window is an absolute bug magnet. Plan on lots of cleaning. Bring extra wiper fluid on long trips.

2) Not sure if it's the size/angle of the front window but the windshield wipers seem largley cosmetic in heavy rain. Is RainX still a thing? Does it work?

3) Power to climb/pass/etc. on the highway in the 2.3L/AT is not an issue. Even fully loaded.

4) The wind-noise at highway speed is pretty bad, lots of noise/whistles/etc. from the MIC top for anything over 65 mph. But highway handing is perfect, and road noise was actualy minimal despite running LT all-terrain e-load tires.

5) Here is the big lesson learned though - on the highway wit this set-up, in 10th gear the RPMs sit around 2300 when crusing in the 75-80 mph range. And almost always using at least 2-5 psi boost. It's nice to be in the meat of the powerband, but man it SUCKS for fuel economy. Crusing at 80 on the highway I was lucky to get 18mpg, and often dipped into the 17mpg range. Overal for the trip I averaged about 18mpg. There is a HUGE diference going from 65 to 75-80mph, that jump cost me 2-3mpg.

Since I'll surely spend more time on the highway than off-road with a locked differential, I am wondering if the upgrade to the e-locker was a mistake. However, I also think that 10th gear is a bit short and it was likely optimized for the standard gearing.

All-in-all, it was a great travel partner. Everyone was comfortable and space was adequate.

Oh, and the number of Bronco's seen on the entire trip other than mine? Only one.

Cheers!
Thank you.

I tested this a few days ago in the BD with the 7 spd MT. When cruising at highway speed, 75 mph, I didn't use any boost.

I wonder if the top end of the auto and manual are slightly different?

I haven't noticed the bugs, but I suppose I will come summer time. Nothing is as bad as Illinois summers rolling around corn fields. lol

Cheers to many happy miles.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

in these vehicles that are as aerodynamic as a barn, every MPH is impactful to MPG at highway speeds. I've been driving a ZR2 Bison for the last year (very comparable to a Badlands in terms of off road capabilities etc) - it's got the 3.6L V6 engine in it - when I set the cruise control at 62-64 mph, I can get 22-24mpg on the highway, and have gotten up to 26 depending on how flat the highway is and whether there's any wind or not ... but if I kick that up to 75mph, my mileage goes down to about 17-18 on the highway - but for the most part, with 'normal' driving (not trying to squeeze every MPG out of it, but not driving like I'm in an F1 car), my overall average (including around town stop/go stuff) is right at 16mpg after a year of driving and almost 14k miles. I am hoping the Bronco will be a little bit better

Sponsored

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend I took my family on a road trip from San Diego to Phoenix, total was around 1000 miles consiting of lots of varied condtions (open highway, city, rain, up to 4200ft altitude). We were fully loaded with four people, two dogs, and a family's worth of food, lugage, and Christmas gifts. I'll keep my hot-takes brief so nobody gets bored readng this, but here are a few notible observations (Note - I have a 2.3L/AT 4dr Big Bend, MIC Top, 4.27 rear w/locker, stock except for 285/70R17 Kenda Klever AT2 tires):

1) The near vertical front window is an absolute bug magnet. Plan on lots of cleaning. Bring extra wiper fluid on long trips.

2) Not sure if it's the size/angle of the front window but the windshield wipers seem largley cosmetic in heavy rain. Is RainX still a thing? Does it work?

3) Power to climb/pass/etc. on the highway in the 2.3L/AT is not an issue. Even fully loaded.

4) The wind-noise at highway speed is pretty bad, lots of noise/whistles/etc. from the MIC top for anything over 65 mph. But highway handing is perfect, and road noise was actualy minimal despite running LT all-terrain e-load tires.

5) Here is the big lesson learned though - on the highway wit this set-up, in 10th gear the RPMs sit around 2300 when crusing in the 75-80 mph range. And almost always using at least 2-5 psi boost. It's nice to be in the meat of the powerband, but man it SUCKS for fuel economy. Crusing at 80 on the highway I was lucky to get 18mpg, and often dipped into the 17mpg range. Overal for the trip I averaged about 18mpg. There is a HUGE diference going from 65 to 75-80mph, that jump cost me 2-3mpg.

Since I'll surely spend more time on the highway than off-road with a locked differential, I am wondering if the upgrade to the e-locker was a mistake. However, I also think that 10th gear is a bit short and it was likely optimized for the standard gearing.

All-in-all, it was a great travel partner. Everyone was comfortable and space was adequate.

Oh, and the number of Bronco's seen on the entire trip other than mine? Only one.

Cheers!
In referencing number four(4) "wind noise, Do you have the insulation headliner with the MIC ?
Hi All,

Cheers!
In referencing number 4, does your MIC top have a headliner? Second what octane fuel are you using? And to those who recommend driving 65, On I-10 you can't drive 65 (Posted 70-75) with that type of traffic flow.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had same experience. I just did Maryland to South Carolina and found I can do 67 with my 2.7 black diamond and it’s fully loaded down with luggage and saw rpm at constant 2,000 and 21.5 mpg.
Sounds good. I just hate to be in the right lane on route 95 in a 70 mph zone, going 5 under the limit. Lol

ElJeffe

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeff.henshaw.org
Vehicle(s)
BMW R1250RT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi All,

Cheers!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm only 500 miles in and most of those miles have been in 4WA on snow here, but my windshield experience matches yours. The wipers do a good job, but I'm using washer fluid constantly with the muddy snow that gets kicked up on the highway.

We definitely drive a rare breed, for now. Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What did you learn about yourself and others?
Sponsored