Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So more likely the aerodynamics rather than the power killing things at that speed. Good to know. I was actually more frustrated with the wind noise than the gas mileage, but I guess that's the trade-off for having a four-piece lightweight removable top.

Yeah, my top is extremely loud after 65-70mph. My wife tells me we can't have a conversation if we take the Bronco. I just nod and smile.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In the for what it's worth department: 24 mpg over my first 900 miles

Maybe 200 miles interstate, 500 two lane 100 in town and 100 dirt 4000 to 12000 feet,several mountain passes. 2.3 auto, 4.27's.

I think the 4.27's actually help with mpg and certainly power, especially in my case: high altitude/mountains.

Other than the 200 mi on the interstate I probably did not excede 65 mph.

And yes, above 65 wind noise picks up pretty good, in my case I blame it on the roof rails.

20211205_165106-jpg.jpg

20211204_140948-jpg.jpg

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for your feedback. I'm planning a ~7000 mile trip next summer. I doubt I'll exceed 70mph so I'm hoping to average 20.
I did 6800 in a JLU rubicon 2.0, one of the big reasons i swapped 2.7 to 2.3 in my build. 21.6mpg during the 3 week journey

BroncoBeach

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Avalon
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rain-X is still a thing and I highly recommend it. In light rain, you hardly need wipers at all, if you have Rain-X applied.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So
Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend I took my family on a road trip from San Diego to Phoenix, total was around 1000 miles consiting of lots of varied condtions (open highway, city, rain, up to 4200ft altitude). We were fully loaded with four people, two dogs, and a family's worth of food, lugage, and Christmas gifts. I'll keep my hot-takes brief so nobody gets bored readng this, but here are a few notible observations (Note - I have a 2.3L/AT 4dr Big Bend, MIC Top, 4.27 rear w/locker, stock except for 285/70R17 Kenda Klever AT2 tires):

1) The near vertical front window is an absolute bug magnet. Plan on lots of cleaning. Bring extra wiper fluid on long trips.

2) Not sure if it's the size/angle of the front window but the windshield wipers seem largley cosmetic in heavy rain. Is RainX still a thing? Does it work?

3) Power to climb/pass/etc. on the highway in the 2.3L/AT is not an issue. Even fully loaded.

4) The wind-noise at highway speed is pretty bad, lots of noise/whistles/etc. from the MIC top for anything over 65 mph. But highway handing is perfect, and road noise was actualy minimal despite running LT all-terrain e-load tires.

5) Here is the big lesson learned though - on the highway wit this set-up, in 10th gear the RPMs sit around 2300 when crusing in the 75-80 mph range. And almost always using at least 2-5 psi boost. It's nice to be in the meat of the powerband, but man it SUCKS for fuel economy. Crusing at 80 on the highway I was lucky to get 18mpg, and often dipped into the 17mpg range. Overal for the trip I averaged about 18mpg. There is a HUGE diference going from 65 to 75-80mph, that jump cost me 2-3mpg.

Since I'll surely spend more time on the highway than off-road with a locked differential, I am wondering if the upgrade to the e-locker was a mistake. However, I also think that 10th gear is a bit short and it was likely optimized for the standard gearing.

All-in-all, it was a great travel partner. Everyone was comfortable and space was adequate.

Oh, and the number of Bronco's seen on the entire trip other than mine? Only one.

Cheers!
So alot of people will disagree with me here, but as a person who is usually too poor to regear when adding bigger tires. I am really suprised at how deep of gears they are giving us for 33s and 35s. It is probably more for the rock crawling credentials than anything else. Since rock crawling is sooo important of a ability these days. (disclaimer I like mud and rpms) Anyways my point is that I have wheeled alot of jeeps, ford 4x4 vans, and broncos with 33" tires and very tall gears. 3.00, 3.07, 3.50, 3.54, and 3.73s. Most of those vehicles have barely had 150 hp. And all of those vehicles got okay mileage on the highway 65-70(ohio speeds). Also for the CJs that was basically their top speed. Though I did have a CJ5 with a 360 over 80 once. Most of these had no overdrives either.

Long story short I think with 4.27 gears you will find yourself happier with a tall 33 or even a 34. Yours are a tall 32. That difference should pull your sweet spot up 5 or 6 mph and get you a lil better mileage. Yeah you may need to gun it more rock crawling to keep it from bogging but once those tires wear out get em just a lil taller and I think you will be happier.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I wonder if the 4.46 gearing with 33s keeps you out of the boost a little longer in top gear.

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend I took my family on a road trip from San Diego to Phoenix, total was around 1000 miles consiting of lots of varied condtions (open highway, city, rain, up to 4200ft altitude). We were fully loaded with four people, two dogs, and a family's worth of food, lugage, and Christmas gifts. I'll keep my hot-takes brief so nobody gets bored readng this, but here are a few notible observations (Note - I have a 2.3L/AT 4dr Big Bend, MIC Top, 4.27 rear w/locker, stock except for 285/70R17 Kenda Klever AT2 tires):

1) The near vertical front window is an absolute bug magnet. Plan on lots of cleaning. Bring extra wiper fluid on long trips.

2) Not sure if it's the size/angle of the front window but the windshield wipers seem largley cosmetic in heavy rain. Is RainX still a thing? Does it work?

3) Power to climb/pass/etc. on the highway in the 2.3L/AT is not an issue. Even fully loaded.

4) The wind-noise at highway speed is pretty bad, lots of noise/whistles/etc. from the MIC top for anything over 65 mph. But highway handing is perfect, and road noise was actualy minimal despite running LT all-terrain e-load tires.

5) Here is the big lesson learned though - on the highway wit this set-up, in 10th gear the RPMs sit around 2300 when crusing in the 75-80 mph range. And almost always using at least 2-5 psi boost. It's nice to be in the meat of the powerband, but man it SUCKS for fuel economy. Crusing at 80 on the highway I was lucky to get 18mpg, and often dipped into the 17mpg range. Overal for the trip I averaged about 18mpg. There is a HUGE diference going from 65 to 75-80mph, that jump cost me 2-3mpg.

Since I'll surely spend more time on the highway than off-road with a locked differential, I am wondering if the upgrade to the e-locker was a mistake. However, I also think that 10th gear is a bit short and it was likely optimized for the standard gearing.

All-in-all, it was a great travel partner. Everyone was comfortable and space was adequate.

Oh, and the number of Bronco's seen on the entire trip other than mine? Only one.

Cheers!
Thanks for that detailed write-up. It's great to get owner feedback - especially after a long highway trip. I'm not surprised by your highway mpg. While the Bronco's 2.3 liter engine w/auto box is very economical on fuel, two variables probably negated that advantage: speed and payload. 1) Speed. The most fuel efficient speed for vehicles (still) is 55-65 mph. Above that range, engines just gulp more fuel relative to distance. (All the active aero in the world won't save my fuel economy when I romp on my Porsche Cayman above 65.) 2) Payload. With four passengers, two dogs and accompanying luggage, weight probably hit your mpg. The greater the weight onboard, the harder the engine works to maintain speed, and the more fuel it slurps down.
Moving on to the problem of bugs on the near-vertical windshield, there's been a lot of advances in the auto detailing world that could help. RainX remains easy to apply but it doesn't last very long compared to modern glass sealants. If you're interested in the latter, some of the better sealants to consider are Wolf's Nano Glass Sealant and GTechniq G1 Clearvision Smart Glass.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am really suprised at how deep of gears they are giving us for 33s and 35s.
My thinking is they're going deep because the deep overdrive can compensate. Back in the day we could figure on around a .75 OD but they gave us sub .65 on both the auto and manual.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rain-X is still a thing and I highly recommend it. In light rain, you hardly need wipers at all, if you have Rain-X applied.
Rain X is toatally necessary on road trips. It helps glide bugs off too a bit. If you wash the windshield at the pumps then apply the good stuff it should last you a couple fill ups atleast as long as you do not use the wipers. They remove it quickly. There is washer fluid with rain x, it works 75% as good and is applied by the squirters but only lasts a lil while. Still minimal use of wipers is preferred for best results.

Sponsored

sdchrisp

Black Diamond
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi All,

Cheers!
Nice to see someone else from San Diego! I'll see you on the road one day, once I get my Bronco.

threeonone

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi All,

Cheers!
One thing I noticed at highway speeds, I rolled my driver window down and it wouldn't seal again when I rolled it up. It was being sucked (pushed?) outward by the wind and there was a noticeable gap between the top of the glass and the seal. I had to pull over to get the wind resistance to stop and the window to go back up in the proper sealed location.

BroncoZ13

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got 13.5 MPG for my 2.7 SAS driving from Houston to San Antonio last weekend.....what's your secret sauce for getting 17? Going 70 MPH on the highway in Texas is an easy way to get run over.
Hey Mike777, 13.5 yikes?! Really not sure what to tell you there. I do drive pretty conservative but even my first tank of gas when I was having some fun on the throttle I was around 15 MPG so 🤷‍♂️

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

WHAT, my fuel mileage will be lower when driving 80 instead of 65 mph?

Thats it Ford, I have enough of your tricks. Fed up. :mad:

Delight

Big Bend
First Name
Delight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hum, everyone has different experiences and opinions.
I did 800 miles in November w/my BigBend 2.3 mid mostly interstate with a few days in West Virginia cities….2 passengers and luggage.

1) Averaged 20.4 mpg (Normal mode according to guage) with Shell premium (average is now 21.0 exact at 3700 miles).
- Highway driving was typically 75-80 mph when possible.
2) Wind noise…I notice a swirl at shoulders and above but certainly don’t consider it excessive at all.
3) Never once noticed excessive bugs on windshield
4) I think all the time how nice the front wipers work.
Sponsored