Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just about 500 miles on the beast. I do drive between 65-80 mph and I am seeing 18-19 mpg so far. It’s better than I expected and still better than my F250 with 6.7 power stroke. I told one of my friends today when he was checking it out that if he saw me out driving I probably look like a 16 year old out for his first solo driving. This isn’t just one time but every time I probably have that grin on my face. 😁
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My thinking is they're going deep because the deep overdrive can compensate. Back in the day we could figure on around a .75 OD but they gave us sub .65 on both the auto and manual.
Oh they did us a favor giving us the best of both worlds. But to really take advantage of the low geared diffs, the power we got now, and the many many gears the trans has now, a proper combination might just need the bigger sizes of tires. Otherwise why would the suspension fit small 35s without a lift(some trimming required). The Broncos just want to be big!:)

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, have the headliner. 87 octane, I assumed the increased HP using 91 would be even worse gas milage.
91 octane is quite a bit more expensive but at 87 octane the computer will retard the timing because of predetination issues which = less fuel mileage

Bike007b

Black Diamond
First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are your MPG via the onboard computer or the old school doing a little math way.
mid you're on bigger tires without configuring the broncos computer it will show lower.
lockers are great! And you shouldlike It. You would always want them if you didn’t have them.
great write up!

Blueoval

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer & 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had to replace my wipers at 5,000 miles. They were toast…Maybe try a good quality silicone blade?

Sponsored

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

5) Here is the big lesson learned though - on the highway wit this set-up, in 10th gear the RPMs sit around 2300 when crusing in the 75-80 mph range. And almost always using at least 2-5 psi boost. It's nice to be in the meat of the powerband, but man it SUCKS for fuel economy. Crusing at 80 on the highway I was lucky to get 18mpg, and often dipped into the 17mpg range. Overal for the trip I averaged about 18mpg. There is a HUGE diference going from 65 to 75-80mph, that jump cost me 2-3mpg.
It's that old V^2 (Velocity Squared) thingie.
Piloting a veehickle with the aerodynamics of a brick at 80 vs 65 mph will burn more fuel.
Physics has let us down!!!

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I'll surely spend more time on the highway than off-road with a locked differential, I am wondering if the upgrade to the e-locker was a mistake.
The first time you need that locker off-road, you'll be REALLY HAPPY!!!

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wow I wasn't expecting so much reaction to this post, thanks all I really appreciate all the feedback and comments.

One note, I was definitely not complaining about the fuel economy, just wanted to present the info since I was rather surprised at how much 5-10 mph affected the fuel economy at highway speed.

I've got about 4500 miles on it now and still can't wait to drive it every day!

Next few additions will be a set of ditch lights (when I get time to install them) and the factory splash guards.

Happy New Year and happy wheeling!!!

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my Jeep I recently drove across the mountains of Colorado...75 - 80 mph I averaged 26.8 mpg. The vehicle was fully loaded as well. I was also pushing it going up the mountain passes I was pushing 90 going up Vail Pass. I'm using the Orange RainX it works great during the summer / fall seasons on bugs.

I know the Bronco is not going to get the mpg of the Jeep but that's works for me...I'm looking forward to the bad mpg one of these days.
What kind of jeep/ tires do you have? I’ve never gotten over 22mpg on my’13

Sponsored

Jjt24

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot of this thread is about mpg. I never even looked at what mpgs the bronco gets. I'm replacing my 2011 raptor with the Bronco and I was averaging 10.9 mpg in that, just assumed it would be better than that. Just not something I concerned myself with when buying a vehicle with 35" tires. 🤷‍♂️

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We ran several hundred miles with 4 adults and loaded with cargo in a 2.7 WT. kept it at 65 mph. Got 21.1 mpg. I’d rather slow down a little and get better mileage.
Agree...I drive 65 and get great mileage with my F-150 and 09 JK Unlimited Jeep. I get 23 MPH with the Jeep on long highway trips. In the 22.5 range with the F-150.

CowboyKid

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you drive 1000 miles at 65 mph, you earn about $12/hour for driving 3 extra hours, compared to driving 80 mph.

Tazn69Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250, 1969 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mine has the 2.7 and Sasquatch package.
First question I would ask is what fuel you used? I was able to get over 21mpg with my setup using the recomended premium fuel during a 1700 mile trip from Reno to Tacoma and back. I didn't baby it either, I did a respectable 75+ most of the way. Did have to clean the windshield a lot. Top it with winter rated stuff with Rain x in it and an ounce or two of simple green.

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When my dealer let me have his 2.3 auto for the weekend I found the sweet spot to be 65mph. I got just over 24mpg at that speed. Eco didn't improve it over normal.
Sponsored