Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because someone at Ford said 10R80 by mistake instead of 10R60....the internet did it's thing from there.
Because somebody on the internets said it's going to explode as soon as it leaves the lot
Sponsored

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Straight from OEM workshop manual.

The 10R60 automatic transmission is a 10-speed electronically controlled transmission with a main control valve body unit with 8 solenoids and a torque converter. Gear selection is achieved by the control of transmission fluid to operate various internal clutches. The PCM operates the electrical components and provides control of gear selection, shift pressure and torque converter slip.

This transmission includes:

• Torque converter with an integral converter clutch
  • Electronic shift and pressure controls
  • Four planetary gearsets
  • Two multi-disc holding clutches
  • Four multi-plate drive clutches
  • One one way holding clutch
  • Main control valve body unit
The main control consists of a valve body assembly with solenoids inside the transmission and is controlled by a PCM. The PCM operates the electrical components to provide refined engagement feel, shift feel, and shift scheduling.

Engine power reaches the transmission by a torque converter with an integral clutch. The 10 forward gears and one reverse gear are obtained from 4 planetary gearsets.

The 10R80 automatic transmission is a 10-speed electronically controlled transmission with a main control valve body unit with 8 solenoids and a torque converter. Gear selection is achieved by the control of transmission fluid to operate various internal clutches. The PCM for gas engine applications or the TCM for diesel engine applications operates the electrical components and provides control of gear selection, shift pressure and torque converter slip.

This transmission includes:

• Torque converter with an integral converter clutch
  • Electronic shift and pressure controls
  • Four planetary gearsets
  • Two multi-disc holding clutches
  • Four multi-plate drive clutches
  • One one way holding clutch
  • Main control valve body unit
The main control consists of a valve body assembly with solenoids inside the transmission and is controlled by a PCM or a TCM. The PCM or TCM operates the electrical components to provide refined engagement feel, shift feel, and shift scheduling.

Engine power reaches the transmission by a torque converter with an integral clutch. The 10 forward gears and one reverse gear are obtained from 4 planetary gearsets.

My thought on why they haven't issued a correction is it's really a non-issue. You are not losing anything by it not having a 10R80. In fact, we've had more issues with the 80's than any other transmission in the past 12 months. Granted, most is due to software issues, the only difference in description is the 80 can be used behind the light duty diesels and uses a TCM.

1623263290146-png.png

1623263326160-png.png
One of the main differences is the torque rating of the unit itself. 10R60 is lower than the 80 for itā€™s rated torque capacity, but the 10r80 isnā€™t complaining usually until people exceed 750 or so at the wheels, then the 7th gear direct drive clutches tends to go bye bye. Even with the lower rating Iā€™m hoping the 60 also has a little bit over engineering in it as well.

DesertChip

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Q5, 2017 GTI, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10R60 canā€™t handle the 2.7L. I heard it on this site, youā€™re all doomed.
Yea, and the brakes are bad too! I heard that on this site as well. Everyone should cancel their orders. I will keep mine for testing and let you know. We show Ford to put out and inferior product.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, and the brakes are bad too! I heard that on this site as well. Everyone should cancel their orders. I will keep mine for testing and let you know. We show Ford to put out and inferior product.
Selfless!
Ford Bronco 10R60 Automatic Transmission Specs / Gear Ratios in 2021 Bronco tenor

Reactions: abe

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess this means I wonā€™t be doing low 11ā€™s with the Bronco.

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the main differences is the torque rating of the unit itself. 10R60 is lower than the 80 for itā€™s rated torque capacity, but the 10r80 isnā€™t complaining usually until people exceed 750 or so at the wheels, then the 7th gear direct drive clutches tends to go bye bye. Even with the lower rating Iā€™m hoping the 60 also has a little bit over engineering in it as well.
10R60 has a max torque spec of 600Nm which is 443 ft/lbs
2.7 has a max output of 415 ft/lbs on premium fuel
Ford engineers apparently said that is conservative enough. What happens when you tune beyond 443 ( or 415 ) is an interesting question. 99% of these vehicles will never be tuned. I think we're going to be fine -- of course I may be wrong.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford engineers apparently said that is conservative enough. What happens when you tune beyond 443 ( or 415 ) is an interesting question. 99% of these vehicles will never be tuned. I think we're going to be fine -- of course I may be wrong.
Where does the 600Nm spec come from? I've tried searching for some official documentation on that but haven't found anything.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Where does the 600Nm spec come from? I've tried searching for some official documentation on that but haven't found anything.
Exactly. No one has produced documentation that the production 10R60 in the Bronco is capped at 600nm. Nor has there been substantive discussion about the difference between instantaneous and sustained ratings.

As I stated earlier, these rumors are being propagated by the uneducated and uninformed. One person said it somewhere with no backing evidence, and then a fleet of blind believers have echoed it in every thread on the matter.

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
You canā€™t be wrong. You put it on the internet šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do we know what a 91 octane tune does to the torque number on the 2.7. I'm guessing it will exceed the 415 ft/lbs....

Now I'm going to have to carry 2 cans of fuel and a new backup tranny everywhere I go..lol.

Last edited:

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm taking this wiki( and other sites as being accurate ) and assuming the transmission follows the same naming pattern as the Ford 10R80 (800Nm ) and the 10R140 ( 1400 Nm ) -- but I could be wrong or off. --- Now I'm searchng for the official docs too...

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly. No one has produced documentation that the production 10R60 in the Bronco is capped at 600nm. Nor has there been substantive discussion about the difference between instantaneous and sustained ratings.

As I stated earlier, these rumors are being propagated by the uneducated and uninformed. One person said it somewhere with no backing evidence, and then a fleet of blind believers have echoed it in every thread on the matter.
But it's got to be true, it's just got to.
Sponsored