Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Noted. Best to pull out stuck jeeps while using Reverse.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The rear cup holders on the 4 door are absolutely worthless. Will not hold a slurpee through turns.
0F686CFB-8BC0-43E4-9ED7-BEE664C3719F.jpeg
Omg, that hole is way too loose for a Whiteclaw too. I’m dead.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The rear cup holders on the 4 door are absolutely worthless. Will not hold a slurpee through turns.
0F686CFB-8BC0-43E4-9ED7-BEE664C3719F.jpeg
That’s it, I’m out…lol

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One person said it somewhere with no backing evidence, and then a fleet of blind believers have echoed it in every thread on the matter.
You have a valid point, but if not for hyperbole this forum would only consist of a dozen threads...and for tech details we'd all just be referencing the emails Ford has sent each of us directly. Oh...and Mike Levine's tweets as well.

Sponsored

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm taking this wiki( and other sites as being accurate ) and assuming the transmission follows the same naming pattern as the Ford 10R80 (800Nm ) and the 10R140 ( 1400 Nm ) -- but I could be wrong or off. --- Now I'm searchng for the official docs too...
Those numbers are assumptions and poor ones at that. GM rates transmissions on how much torque its expect to deal with in each application. Thus the same transmission can have a different rating depending on what engine its being bolted to.
Google how much torque in NM the 6.7 power stroke makes and remember the 10r140 is bolted to that...

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the main differences is the torque rating of the unit itself. 10R60 is lower than the 80 for it’s rated torque capacity, but the 10r80 isn’t complaining usually until people exceed 750 or so at the wheels, then the 7th gear direct drive clutches tends to go bye bye. Even with the lower rating I’m hoping the 60 also has a little bit over engineering in it as well.
Thanks for posting an on-topic response. Forum members who are not engineers and don’t deal with Factors of Safety (aka “Safety Factors”) on a regular basis simply don’t understand that a torque rating for a vehicle’s transmission is not equivalent to the torque load that actually causes the transmission to fail due to Safety Factors used in the design process.

Instead of allowing this thread to languish into perpetual memes and informational dead ends, I propose that some of the engineers here pitch in and develop a good, practical explanation for this issue which the other non-technical members can understand.

One of the benefits of a forum like this is the ability to develop valuable repositories of information for the masses through incremental additions from multiple users who each have part of the solution to the larger puzzle.

I’ll start by posting a simple Wiki link for reference, which most members will fall asleep reading, but several technically-oriented members will probably enjoy reading, and then I will follow with a few simple questions. Hopefully a few engineers can join in the discussion and help craft a simple explanation for the masses.

Initial reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_of_safety

Questions:
  • Does anyone here know what safety factors are typically used for engine and transmission design?
  • Are these safety factors regulated by a government body (e.g., Department Of Transportation) or a professional society (e.g., Society of Automotive Engineers)?
Let’s see how well we can address this problem as a group. :)

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10R60 is behind the 400hp 3.0tt Explorer ST

It'll be fine in the Bronco

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I say the 10R60 and 10R80 have the same torque rating of 800 N-m. If any of the people spreading disinformation want to bet on that, lemme know as I will happily collect your cash.

B-ron-co

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt, honda civic hb
Your Bronco Model
Base
These 10 speeds make me want a 7 speed........in twenty years they maybe able to fix them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If anyone has misgivings about the transmission they should cancel their order right away.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is like the 10th thread on the transmission. Why is everyone flipping out over this?
Cause we need something to complain about since most people don't have builds dates yet

918v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One of the main differences is the torque rating of the unit itself. 10R60 is lower than the 80 for it’s rated torque capacity, but the 10r80 isn’t complaining usually until people exceed 750 or so at the wheels, then the 7th gear direct drive clutches tends to go bye bye. Even with the lower rating I’m hoping the 60 also has a little bit over engineering in it as well.
Exactly. And nobody gonna off-road in 7th gear or drag race it.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Never gonna be a diesel Bronco; you heard it here first folks!
Unless its a stick. Cant imagine why you would put a diesel behind a 10 spd. Itd never stop shifting with a narrow rpm range.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 10R60 is behind the 400hp 3.0tt Explorer ST

It'll be fine in the Bronco
Nope it'll get hot eventually. Its what autos do. If you're lucky it wont happen till 2030 or so.
Sponsored