2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea, and the brakes are bad too! I heard that on this site as well. Everyone should cancel their orders. I will keep mine for testing and let you know. We show Ford to put out and inferior product.
I dont need to be on this site to know that Ford brakes (at least on their F150) suck. Shouldnt need to change out your oem rotors 2x in 35k miles.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Because several forum members who are neither mechanics, nor mechanical engineers, nor physicists, nor aware of actual specifications / thresholds / limitations have proclaimed that the 60 is objectively wimpier than the 80 because 8>6, and that the 60 is guaranteed to explode within 10k miles of ownership.

You forgot .........................

But they did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. ;)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We are just sewing division within the ranks of auto drivers in hope of sparking the New World Order of manual transmissions.

Ford Bronco 10R60 Automatic Transmission Specs / Gear Ratios in 2021 Bronco 1623298096577

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Unless I hear Phil, our resident Ford guy, say anything bad about the 10R60 I'm not worried.

Oop, Phil ain't here. He's on the Ranger forum. I shouldn't reply half awake. But, IMHO I'm thinking the Ford engineers (like Phil) know the 60 will work in the Bronco. My knowledge of a transmission end if a tranny will move the vehicle. I think back to the the old GM 2 speed powerglide. If the "powerslide" will work in an Impala 6 cylinder, and handle a quarter mile in a super high HP drag car, then I'm guessing the 10R60 can survive in a Bronco.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zeebo390

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang GT, 2016 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What makes you say that? The 10R60 and 10R80 are physically the same size. While I know there won’t be a diesel Explorer, the Police variant features a 10R80. The Hybrid models do as well but the 10R80 is quite different and much longer overall.
I don’t think there will be either, with the hybrid and warthog they’ll already have 4 powertrain choices. The hybrid will be the mileage leader and I don’t think any of the Bronco engines are hurting for more torque.

Plus with diesel you have to deal with the exhaust particulate filter, SCR catalyst, and DEF systems. Don’t underestimate how big of a pain in the ass these can be if your truck isn’t spending most of its time on the highway. And they have to be protected with extra skid plates. No thanks.

Deputy909

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2013 Traverse, 2007 Mustang Conv.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Straight from OEM workshop manual.

The 10R60 automatic transmission is a 10-speed electronically controlled transmission with a main control valve body unit with 8 solenoids and a torque converter. Gear selection is achieved by the control of transmission fluid to operate various internal clutches. The PCM operates the electrical components and provides control of gear selection, shift pressure and torque converter slip.

This transmission includes:

• Torque converter with an integral converter clutch
  • Electronic shift and pressure controls
  • Four planetary gearsets
  • Two multi-disc holding clutches
  • Four multi-plate drive clutches
  • One one way holding clutch
  • Main control valve body unit
The main control consists of a valve body assembly with solenoids inside the transmission and is controlled by a PCM. The PCM operates the electrical components to provide refined engagement feel, shift feel, and shift scheduling.

Engine power reaches the transmission by a torque converter with an integral clutch. The 10 forward gears and one reverse gear are obtained from 4 planetary gearsets.

The 10R80 automatic transmission is a 10-speed electronically controlled transmission with a main control valve body unit with 8 solenoids and a torque converter. Gear selection is achieved by the control of transmission fluid to operate various internal clutches. The PCM for gas engine applications or the TCM for diesel engine applications operates the electrical components and provides control of gear selection, shift pressure and torque converter slip.

This transmission includes:

• Torque converter with an integral converter clutch
  • Electronic shift and pressure controls
  • Four planetary gearsets
  • Two multi-disc holding clutches
  • Four multi-plate drive clutches
  • One one way holding clutch
  • Main control valve body unit
The main control consists of a valve body assembly with solenoids inside the transmission and is controlled by a PCM or a TCM. The PCM or TCM operates the electrical components to provide refined engagement feel, shift feel, and shift scheduling.

Engine power reaches the transmission by a torque converter with an integral clutch. The 10 forward gears and one reverse gear are obtained from 4 planetary gearsets.

My thought on why they haven't issued a correction is it's really a non-issue. You are not losing anything by it not having a 10R80. In fact, we've had more issues with the 80's than any other transmission in the past 12 months. Granted, most is due to software issues, the only difference in description is the 80 can be used behind the light duty diesels and uses a TCM.

Ford Bronco 10R60 Automatic Transmission Specs / Gear Ratios in 2021 Bronco 1623298096577

Can someone tell me how the tenth gear makes any difference? It is only 5 hundredths difference from ninth.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

havent read it all but the R60 has slightly higher (better) 1st and 2nd gear ratio for the Bronco :)

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can someone tell me how the tenth gear makes any difference? It is only 5 hundredths difference from ninth.
1990 RPMs in 10th at 70 MPH with Sasquatch v. 2148 RPMS in 9th. That's a significant difference...and a 180rpm difference at 80.

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What makes you say that? The 10R60 and 10R80 are physically the same size. While I know there won’t be a diesel Explorer, the Police variant features a 10R80. The Hybrid models do as well but the 10R80 is quite different and much longer overall.
If you want tough always go with the Police / Taxi parts.

Coolbreeze704

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Because several forum members who are neither mechanics, nor mechanical engineers, nor physicists, nor aware of actual specifications / thresholds / limitations have proclaimed that the 60 is objectively wimpier than the 80 because 8>6, and that the 60 is guaranteed to explode within 10k miles of ownership.
I think in golf numbers all the time. 60 is better then 80, so I'm good

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is like the 10th thread on the transmission. Why is everyone flipping out over this?
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw the transmission break down at 31 Flavors last night. 😄

Bonus points if you know where I ripped that off.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where does the 600Nm spec come from? I've tried searching for some official documentation on that but haven't found anything.
Some guy was sitting at home wondering why Ford named the transmissions 60, 80, 140, whatever. Using ft.-lbs. didn't work out, so they started plugging in other torque values and Newton-meters seemed to work, so they went with that. Even though Ford doesn't quote or spec Newton-meters anywhere. Even though Ford could just as easily used numbers that represented ft.-lbs. Even though the 140 transmission (1400 Nm = 1032 ft.-lbs.) is paired with an engine that makes 1050 ft.-lbs. in stock form. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I dont need to be on this site to know that Ford brakes (at least on their F150) suck. Shouldnt need to change out your oem rotors 2x in 35k miles.
What year? Over 130,000 on the original rotors here.
Sponsored