OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Bronco
Undecided
It’s an official accessory. It sits above the opening for the intercooler.
So on top of bumper, thanks. I guess those wanting it in bumper are SOL unless they go to IC like in my link. Not the end of the world I guess.
Advertisement

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

flip

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Bronco
Undecided
Clubs

Noted, but I'm not looking at protection as much as airflow. I guess the thought is keep rad more open. Is a winch an actual FACTORY option. What do they do with the IC then?
Not a great pic but there is probably enough air flow above the shield from the openings in the lower grille area. Couple things to drill down on. CAC is designed to drop the booted air temp. They obviously tested and got the drop they needed based on the location, different ambient air temps and boost pressure. The second, is there are two main types of driving the BR was made for, on highway and off-road. On highway, theoretically, will provide sufficient air flow across the core to achieve temp drop/heat exchange. Crawling/off-road use won't since it's generally low speed and higher engine trans loads. I guess one thing to find out is if the electric cooling fans will pull any air across it of if it's strictly a passive heat exchanger.

If you did a Duff hidden winch set up like we did on our '76 there should be some room. Granted, we did move the solenoid off the winch and mounted remotely, the whole thing was fairly well packaged. A hidden winch bumper will need to stick out a little further than the modular one but we'll have to see who comes up with one first. I'm not against using my Bronco as a test subject and have a fab department here at work. I don't need a winch but wouldn't mind the challenge, just need the time and will to make it happen.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Bronco
Undecided
Not a great pic but there is probably enough air flow above the shield from the openings in the lower grille area. Couple things to drill down on. CAC is designed to drop the booted air temp. They obviously tested and got the drop they needed based on the location, different ambient air temps and boost pressure. The second, is there are two main types of driving the BR was made for, on highway and off-road. On highway, theoretically, will provide sufficient air flow across the core to achieve temp drop/heat exchange. Crawling/off-road use won't since it's generally low speed and higher engine trans loads. I guess one thing to find out is if the electric cooling fans will pull any air across it of if it's strictly a passive heat exchanger.

If you did a Duff hidden winch set up like we did on our '76 there should be some room. Granted, we did move the solenoid off the winch and mounted remotely, the whole thing was fairly well packaged. A hidden winch bumper will need to stick out a little further than the modular one but we'll have to see who comes up with one first. I'm not against using my Bronco as a test subject and have a fab department here at work. I don't need a winch but wouldn't mind the challenge, just need the time and will to make it happen.
That IC doesn't look much larger than my Fusion Sport, and that definitely runs out of "IC", per say, with only a 93 tune in the summer. And that's with nothing in the way. I really expected a "full height" core, with the 2.7 especially (IE like most diesels).

Was planning on hidden winch with the stock bumper like this on my 70, but of course that requires a body lift if you don't want to push the bumper too far out (and of course, remote solenoids like you did).

attachment.jpg

flip

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Bronco
Undecided
Clubs

That IC doesn't look much larger than my Fusion Sport, and that definitely runs out of "IC", per say, with only a 93 tune in the summer. And that's with nothing in the way. I really expected a "full height" core, with the 2.7 especially (IE like most diesels).

Was planning on hidden winch with the stock bumper like this on my 70, but of course that requires a body lift if you don't want to push the bumper too far out (and of course, remote solenoids like you did).

attachment.jpg
I saw these also have active grille shutters which help with aerodynamics (allegedly) and allow the engine temp to come up quicker. The drawback is you have plastic strips controlled by an actuator sitting low and potentially exposed to debris/water that gets behind the aero shield or front plate. We have seen them break/jamb which pops an engine light on.

I don't see this as a major issue, just something that needs to be looked at for long term, real world driving, durability.

Sstockss

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer st
Bronco
Undecided
I don’t think there’s going to be a problem with the 10R60. If ford gets qc issues ironed out that is.. seems like an abnormally high failure rate but I think the numbers are a little skewed, because I asked the master tech at my local dealership and they’ve only done a handful engine/trans replacements on the Exploders. I posted this in the parts catalog page also, but figured it deserves a double post because of the lack of info about how much abuse the 10r60 can take.

Ford Explorer durability test #1

da_jokker

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Bronco
Outer Banks
Clubs

For those still interested, looks like ford has come out and explained their choice to gonwith the 10R60.

Don't know what the rules are, but you can find it on the OTHER forum.

Synopsis... Ford feels it is a better choice because of: more moderness and lighter weight and has no concerns about its ability to handle the torque.

Gamecock

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 FJ Cruiser
Bronco
Badlands

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta st
Bronco
Black Diamond
Bronco Brand Manager Esteban Plaza-Jennings told BN that the 10R60 is more than capable of handling the Bronco’s power output, as the trans is rated at 406lb-ft with the 2.3L engine and 424lb-ft with the 2.7L engine. For reference, the 2.3L engine is projected to produce 310lb-ft of torque, while the 2.7L will produce 400lb-ft.

That's not as comforting as they think it is.

da_jokker

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Bronco
Outer Banks
Clubs

In other words, put a tune on your Bronco engine and risk blowing up the transmission?
Agreed...but what is the norm? I never cared enough to research but typically how much of a buffer do automatics have?

Now in a sports car, or some vehicle specifically designed for towing or carrying heavy loads, I could see some decent buffering.

I've just always felt that once you start tweaking an engine, it all just comes with the territory and knowing you are abusing other parts of the running gear as a trade-off.

Gamecock

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 FJ Cruiser
Bronco
Badlands
Bronco Brand Manager Esteban Plaza-Jennings told BN that the 10R60 is more than capable of handling the Bronco’s power output, as the trans is rated at 406lb-ft with the 2.3L engine and 424lb-ft with the 2.7L engine. For reference, the 2.3L engine is projected to produce 310lb-ft of torque, while the 2.7L will produce 400lb-ft.

That's not as comforting as they think it is.
Yeah, and the author couldn’t even get the specs right…the 2.7 has 415lbs of torque…almost zero margin for error. I don’t see how Ford can even offer factory tunes for these as anything will put it above the stated limit.

vrtical

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Even before this issue, the two
Yeah, and the author couldn’t even get the specs right…the 2.7 has 415lbs of torque…almost zero margin for error. I don’t see how Ford can even offer factory tunes for these as anything will put it above the stated limit.
Yeah I bet the current 2.3 plan stays put with the 2.3 OEM performance tune and the 2.7 drops off. I had two paths originally before this trans swap, either get a 2.3 with the OEM tune or just get the 2.7 and not tune it. I went 2.7 as I don't think it needs a tune with the Bronco at current specs and capability, yeah more is always better but not always needed.

wjfawb0

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Bronco
Undecided
With an auto the OEM tunes will probably limit torque to preserve the transmission. I don't know the particulars of what aftermarket tunes will be capable of, but I'm sure they'll figure out a way to break transmission.

da_jokker

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ
Bronco
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was trying to look up some specs on the new Mustang GT. Don't quote me, but seems like Ford put a 420+ torque motor in it with an Auto Transmission only rated at 380 and now there are law suites about tranny issues.

So the fact that Ford is putting in a Tranny that is rated Higher (if only a bit) in a non-sports car is a big step for them :)

Side note...Ford needs to rethink their Engine + Tranny engineering team.

Advertisement

4x4TruckLEDs.com
Advertisement