Base
First Name
E
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Bronco
Base
Yeah, and the author couldn’t even get the specs right…the 2.7 has 415lbs of torque…almost zero margin for error. I don’t see how Ford can even offer factory tunes for these as anything will put it above the stated limit.
Agreed. This is stupid. A couple mods to make it breathe better could be too much, if those torque limits are true.
This kind of bullshit may make me switch my order to the 2.3 and manual.
Advertisement

WuNgUn

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

I used to work at a facility that made the one way clutch power transfer rolling element for both the R60 and R80 transmissions. What I can tell you is, we made way more of the R80 part and there are WAY less internal splines on the R60 part. Why? No idea... Maybe this is s'pose to be engineered point of failure?
An interesting design feature of these splines... There are radial channels in the ID to catch and hold metal chips as the splines are designed to cut into the mating shaft.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tesla Model Y
Bronco
First Edition
I used to work at a facility that made the one way clutch power transfer rolling element for both the R60 and R80 transmissions. What I can tell you is, we made way more of the R80 part and there are WAY less internal splines on the R60 part. Why? No idea... Maybe this is s'pose to be engineered point of failure?
An interesting design feature of these splines... There are radial channels in the ID to catch and hold metal chips as the splines are designed to cut into the mating shaft.
ELI5?

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

How is Hennessy pulling off their new offering?

"The all-new Hennessey VelociRaptor 400 Bronco boasts 405 bhp at 5,700 rpm and 503 lb-ft torque at 3,900 rpm as a result of comprehensive reworking by the experts at Hennessey."

Genuinely curious, as there is no mention of any upgrades to trans:

SPECIFICATIONS: VELOCIRAPTOR 400 BRONCO
• Engine Management Software Upgrade
• Upgraded Exhaust System
• High-Flow Air Induction System

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Bronco
Big Bend
How is Hennessy pulling off their new offering?

"The all-new Hennessey VelociRaptor 400 Bronco boasts 405 bhp at 5,700 rpm and 503 lb-ft torque at 3,900 rpm as a result of comprehensive reworking by the experts at Hennessey."

Genuinely curious, as there is no mention of any upgrades to trans:

SPECIFICATIONS: VELOCIRAPTOR 400 BRONCO
• Engine Management Software Upgrade
• Upgraded Exhaust System
• High-Flow Air Induction System
This was my first thought as well when I saw this. I guess they either don't mind blowing up transmissions, or they are confident it is stout enough to handle it.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Bronco
Base
Yeah, this is suspect for sure. I would like to hear what Hennessy has to say about it. I’d really like to know what the actual failure point is. I hear that the newer R60 is different. I guess time will tell. But my goal for this was 500hp/500tq.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Taurus Daily Driver.A Bunch More Junk.
Bronco
Black Diamond
Linamar?

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Bronco
Base
I would actually be interested in digging a little deeper into the cause of the failures.
I plan on keeping this thing for forever. So I’m down to bulletproof the trans if there’s a way.

Hamhands

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon
Bronco
Base
I am worried my bronco will drive like my old fusion eco boost.
It was basically on or off.
I have been watching youtube reviews and have noticed comments about turbo lag(and I have witnessed turbo lag)then a lot of power coming in.
Also, one reviewer mentioned a little gear searching on road but the tranny felt very at home offroad.
We are all taking a huge leap of faith with this vehicle.
I am excited tho

Advertisement

Holley (Ford Fest banner)
Advertisement