Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also just noticed that the transmission codes provided were from an Explorer owners manual... Those codes are vehicle specific and likely represent something completely different for the Bronco.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I would have simply assumed the 10R80, because the 60 leaves virtually no overhead for tuning, and manufacturers generally don't install transmissions right up to the limit of their specifications (442ft lbs for the 60). 27 ft lbs of overhead for the 2.7? Even with this overwhelming evidence it's hard to believe Ford could be so careless.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I also just noticed that the transmission codes provided were from an Explorer owners manual... Those codes are vehicle specific and likely represent something completely different for the Bronco.
Here's a door sticker for a Ranger. Code U on the trans. 10R80.
Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] VIN 0048

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Apparently the 10R60 shifts drastically different than the 10R80 - and in a positive manner. The 10R60 is not slushy, jerky, laggy or clunky when it downshifts. In fact, you can barely tell that it's downshifting when coming to a stop and there's no jerkiness. So, we got that going for us!
Isn't it usually the driver that has the ability to control the smoothness of the shift?

Sponsored

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's a door sticker for a Ranger. Code U on the trans. 10R80.
Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] VIN 0048
And the ranger owner's manual page.

Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 11.41.13 AM

U is the only ranger transmission option for '20 according to that.

Still, codes are vehicle specific, so you have to reference the service docs or owners manual for that specific vehicle. I could dig up references of T or U codes from other vehicles that mean something totally different.

That said, it is oddly coincidental that the U code is used on the Ranger also.

Espy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@brown I saw the same list but I am suspicious of wikipedia and random internet posts.
Not saying it’s the case here but studies have shown Wikipedia is around 94% accurate.

The issue is the ability to change info, screen shot it, then it gets changed back.

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would have simply assumed the 10R80, because the 60 leaves virtually no overhead for tuning, and manufacturers generally don't install transmissions right up to the limit of their specifications (442ft lbs for the 60). 27 ft lbs of overhead for the 2.7? Even with this overwhelming evidence it's hard to believe Ford could be so careless.
In the past Ford has used the torque figure to represent maximum input. However with the 10 speed it appears the torque number is for the expected torque. Or nominal amount. Look at the f350 diesel using a 10r140

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't it usually the driver that has the ability to control the smoothness of the shift?
They have these new fangled contraptions now, it does whatever it wants regardless of what you want. I think it's called an autotragic or something.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bodge Garage

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not saying it’s the case here but studies have shown Wikipedia is around 94% accurate.

The issue is the ability to change info, screen shot it, then it gets changed back.
I am not saying either way just that I am suspicious of Wikipedia's listing that the Bronco gets the R1080. How does wiki know if we can't seem to find anything definitive from Ford on the subject. Ford seems to be very careful about excluding the specific transmission models which seems odd given some of the other details they share. Like maybe this is not a bragging point so let's not talk to much about it.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm doubting this for a couple of reasons. The Ranger gets the 10R80. Just for simplicity purposes on the line it doesn't make a ton of sense to go with a different transmission. And it would be highly unusual for a manufacturer to use a transmission with so little overhead. One of the reasons thrown out there about not getting the new manual with the 2.7L was that the limits of the stick were too close to the max ratings of the V6.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not on my wife's Camaro. The shifts are hard, even when driving it easy. Not a bad thing when getting on it, but is annoying if when taking it easy.

Also, I'd bet anything this is much ado about nothing. It's been the 10R80 all along, so I doubt it's changing now.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs