Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10R80 is for longitudinal mounted engines. Is the Bronco mounted transverse so it uses the 60?

Edit: nevermind. Sport is transverse. Ughhh. Ford why did you name it Bronco Sport...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10R60 is a longitudinal mounted transmission. It would never fit between the wheels mounted transversely with an engine. There is very little info about the 10R60 but I imagine the overall length is close if not the same as the 80.
Guess it's the sport that's transverse... Now I feel like my friends being confused by the sport. šŸ™„

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dang... this could seriously be a deal-breaker for me. I plan on using our Bronco to tow frequently up to 3,000 lb. I feel the 2.7 is a very capable engine. But if the transmission is already borderline, that kind of kills my confidence. My wife and I were ready to pull the trigger on a Jeep Wrangler Diesel back in July before the Bronco was announced. Maybe I need to start reconsidering that option.

One of the biggest arguments for the Bronco was that the engine and transmission were already proven in the F-150. But now, this appears to not be the case.
Thats what I was going off of bc Ive had the 80 in my f150 for 3yrs and no issues. I too would be towing a trailer north of 3k behind the 4dr BL w/ 2.7 here at higher elevations. I wasnā€™t worried about the power or the trans but wondering now how the trans will hold up and if itā€™ll need an aux trans cooler since the tow package doesnt come with one.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I can confirm the use of a 10R60 in the Bronco on both 2.7 and 2.3 engines. I was hopeful the 2.7 got a 10R80 but unfortunately it doesnā€™t.

At an event I crawled under and reviewed the part number and it comes back to a 10R60.

If anyone has a nice enough dealer I bet they can see it on their end what it is. Not sure if they can officially disclose it yet though since Ford hasnā€™t seemed to openly state. I tried to get someone to look it up but no luck.

Also for reference in this picture I found on here, this is for sure a 10R60 (Fill/fluid level plug on the drivers side) mated to a 2.7 on a preproduction model. Doubt they would have changed it after all the setup to get assembly processes going.

211033E2-73E9-4761-B4C8-CB959C2D7CA3.jpeg
Was this thread started to stir the pot?

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just ran the VIN within the service portal to see if it could be an issue of a different coding strategy for the Bronco model line.

Nope - 10R60.

Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] 1620513751758

Which is interesting given SAE's Automotive Industries magazine reported as Bronco having the 10R80 when the vehicle was revealed. Not saying anyone is infallible, but knowing that publication - and that particular editor - fairly well, I'd wager this could have been a late-breaking change.

Last edited:

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This makes sense if you go back and look at the original Bronco. The automatic used there was the C4. While a decent transmission that can be built up, the stock form was lacking. My '75 burned up its C4 in a couple of years.

OP
OP
Bodge Garage

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was this thread started to stir the pot?
No, I started it as a genuine question. Much has been said about the 10R80 but I realized there was nothing from Ford about it. Not to mention the 60 does not even come up much in Google. I am sure the 60 is adequate but the 80 would have followed the trend of one uping the competition and building an HD truck. I am still wrapping my head around rock crawling with an explorer transmission.
I guess Ford spent all the coin on the suspension.

Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Am I the only one that was under the impression the Bronco was getting the 10R80? I looked back and all of the discussions I think just assumed as I could not find a reference from Ford stating what specific model would be in the Bronco. I don't know all of the differences between the 80 and the 60 but it just feels funny to have an Explorer transmission in an HD off road machine. I will withhold judgement for now.

Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] 1620513751758

this is for an explorer ..just because that code is for an explorer does not mean itā€™s the same code across Fordā€™s lineup. I donā€™t know one way or the other but itā€™s something to be considered.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

No, I started it as a genuine question. Much has been said about the 10R80 but I realized there was nothing from Ford about it. Not to mention the 60 does not even come up much in Google. I am sure the 60 is adequate but the 80 would have followed the trend of one uping the competition and building an HD truck. I am still wrapping my head around rock crawling with an explorer transmission.
I guess Ford spent all the coin on the suspension.
The picture of the 60 in no way looks like it will fit in a rear wheel drive. Looks like FWD Tranny to me.
Every Ford Truck vehicle that i have owned has been over built, heavy duty and the quality has been awesome.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you have more VINs from the dealer demo shows, post them in the next 24 hours and I'll run 'em in the system to see what they were built with.

Slight chance they could have built these pre-production units with 60s instead of 80s just to get them out and into demo service, but that's speculation on my part.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The picture of the 60 in no way looks like it will fit in a rear wheel drive. Looks like FWD Tranny to me.
Every Ford Truck vehicle that i have owned has been over built, heavy duty and the quality has been awesome.
Current Explorer is RWD.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This may be another reason why tow rating is low, perhaps the 60 transmission is maxed out at 3,500lbs + vehicle weight.
Since the Explorer tows over 5000lbs, that ainā€™t it. (Not to mention the 7MT is rated to tow up to 10000 lbs.)
Sponsored