First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
7 months. Ford configured these for us so we had 0 input to what model, options or accessory package we got. We were supposed to get a base, race red, 2 door, squatch, roof rails, 2.7, auto, build date of 6/18. Now, no idea if and or when we'll get one. But to your point, yes, they are killing 2 doors due to lack of tops and all 4 doors will get soft top. The assumption is all hard top production is going to FE and retail orders like it should.
Makes sense now why my dealer was getting a 2 door wildtrak for theirs. You might have insight to this. Why won’t they just call all the Broncos 2022s? Why are they hell bent on making a 2021 bronco when typical change over happens around this time.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why are they hell bent on making a 2021 bronco when typical change over happens around this time.
That would be a public acknowledgment of defeat. They said they were gonna make a MY2021 - ant they're by-god gonna do it, even it's delivered just in time for Christmas.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would have thought an IC more like this one, with many aftermarket bumpers and winches being in the way, and some might go "mudding", which could easily cake up the stock location.

https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/2015-f-150-ecoboost-freakoboost-intercooler-cac-upgrade-kit/
Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] 1622636089047

It is protected by this shield. The other thing is Bronco does sit up higher so it's got a little more going for it than a car. My concern is this shield being plastic/fiberboard from the aero package or if all have a steel plate here. Bash plate here should be one of the first upgrades if you intend to do any off roading but if you're going this far may as well get the others so you don't punch a hole in the plastic fuel tank or bust your transfer case.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My concern is this shield being plastic/fiberboard from the aero package or if all have a steel plate here.
Phil....don't some of the trims like BD & BL have full underbody steel bash plates?

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco 10R60 (not 10R80) 10-speed automatic transmission for 2021 Bronco [update: confirmed in Ford parts system] 1622636089047

It is protected by this shield. The other thing is Bronco does sit up higher so it's got a little more going for it than a car. My concern is this shield being plastic/fiberboard from the aero package or if all have a steel plate here. Bash plate here should be one of the first upgrades if you intend to do any off roading but if you're going this far may as well get the others so you don't punch a hole in the plastic fuel tank or bust your transfer case.
Noted, but I'm not looking at protection as much as airflow. I guess the thought is keep rad more open. Is a winch an actual FACTORY option. What do they do with the IC then?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It’s an official accessory. It sits above the opening for the intercooler.
So on top of bumper, thanks. I guess those wanting it in bumper are SOL unless they go to IC like in my link. Not the end of the world I guess.

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Noted, but I'm not looking at protection as much as airflow. I guess the thought is keep rad more open. Is a winch an actual FACTORY option. What do they do with the IC then?
Not a great pic but there is probably enough air flow above the shield from the openings in the lower grille area. Couple things to drill down on. CAC is designed to drop the booted air temp. They obviously tested and got the drop they needed based on the location, different ambient air temps and boost pressure. The second, is there are two main types of driving the BR was made for, on highway and off-road. On highway, theoretically, will provide sufficient air flow across the core to achieve temp drop/heat exchange. Crawling/off-road use won't since it's generally low speed and higher engine trans loads. I guess one thing to find out is if the electric cooling fans will pull any air across it of if it's strictly a passive heat exchanger.

If you did a Duff hidden winch set up like we did on our '76 there should be some room. Granted, we did move the solenoid off the winch and mounted remotely, the whole thing was fairly well packaged. A hidden winch bumper will need to stick out a little further than the modular one but we'll have to see who comes up with one first. I'm not against using my Bronco as a test subject and have a fab department here at work. I don't need a winch but wouldn't mind the challenge, just need the time and will to make it happen.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not a great pic but there is probably enough air flow above the shield from the openings in the lower grille area. Couple things to drill down on. CAC is designed to drop the booted air temp. They obviously tested and got the drop they needed based on the location, different ambient air temps and boost pressure. The second, is there are two main types of driving the BR was made for, on highway and off-road. On highway, theoretically, will provide sufficient air flow across the core to achieve temp drop/heat exchange. Crawling/off-road use won't since it's generally low speed and higher engine trans loads. I guess one thing to find out is if the electric cooling fans will pull any air across it of if it's strictly a passive heat exchanger.

If you did a Duff hidden winch set up like we did on our '76 there should be some room. Granted, we did move the solenoid off the winch and mounted remotely, the whole thing was fairly well packaged. A hidden winch bumper will need to stick out a little further than the modular one but we'll have to see who comes up with one first. I'm not against using my Bronco as a test subject and have a fab department here at work. I don't need a winch but wouldn't mind the challenge, just need the time and will to make it happen.
That IC doesn't look much larger than my Fusion Sport, and that definitely runs out of "IC", per say, with only a 93 tune in the summer. And that's with nothing in the way. I really expected a "full height" core, with the 2.7 especially (IE like most diesels).

Was planning on hidden winch with the stock bumper like this on my 70, but of course that requires a body lift if you don't want to push the bumper too far out (and of course, remote solenoids like you did).

attachment.jpg

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That IC doesn't look much larger than my Fusion Sport, and that definitely runs out of "IC", per say, with only a 93 tune in the summer. And that's with nothing in the way. I really expected a "full height" core, with the 2.7 especially (IE like most diesels).

Was planning on hidden winch with the stock bumper like this on my 70, but of course that requires a body lift if you don't want to push the bumper too far out (and of course, remote solenoids like you did).

attachment.jpg
I saw these also have active grille shutters which help with aerodynamics (allegedly) and allow the engine temp to come up quicker. The drawback is you have plastic strips controlled by an actuator sitting low and potentially exposed to debris/water that gets behind the aero shield or front plate. We have seen them break/jamb which pops an engine light on.

I don't see this as a major issue, just something that needs to be looked at for long term, real world driving, durability.

Sstockss

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer st
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don’t think there’s going to be a problem with the 10R60. If ford gets qc issues ironed out that is.. seems like an abnormally high failure rate but I think the numbers are a little skewed, because I asked the master tech at my local dealership and they’ve only done a handful engine/trans replacements on the Exploders. I posted this in the parts catalog page also, but figured it deserves a double post because of the lack of info about how much abuse the 10r60 can take.

Ford Explorer durability test #1

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For those still interested, looks like ford has come out and explained their choice to gonwith the 10R60.

Don't know what the rules are, but you can find it on the OTHER forum.

Synopsis... Ford feels it is a better choice because of: more moderness and lighter weight and has no concerns about its ability to handle the torque.
Sponsored