Sponsored

12” Screen Upgrade - Factory or 3rd Party?

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2019 Honda Rebel 300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Getting 2-dr Black Diamond, but would love that 12” screen instead of the standard 8” that ships with my mid package. Any info on if it’s possible to simply pay the dealer to upgrade it, or would I need to wait for a 3rd party option? Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Unfortunately you will likely have to go custom or if the dealer can even do it it will cost an arm and a leg. You would likely have to either change the dash or modify it. I moved up to a Outer Banks to get the features I would rather have from the dealer and will likely go with aftermarket suspend and rims/tires.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The way they designed it, I don't imagine it will be cheap or easy aftermarket. I've seen big android based screens that drop into cars that came with little screens and use a new bezel. It doesn't look like a new bezel will be easy, and those big android units have pretty bad reviews too.

I've seen other Ford models upgraded with the bigger oem screen later on, and it's always expensive.

OP
OP
kbBronco

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks a ton for the feedback. I sort of imagined I’d be up the creek by not jumping up to the Badlands.
Unfortunately you will likely have to go custom or if the dealer can even do it it will cost an arm and a leg. You would likely have to either change the dash or modify it. I moved up to a Outer Banks to get the features I would rather have from the dealer and will likely go with aftermarket suspend and rims/tires.

OP
OP
kbBronco

kbBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks, and I’ve seen a few videos of folks that will swap in an iPad or something wild. Just wishful thinking for a simple solution.
The way they designed it, I don't imagine it will be cheap or easy aftermarket. I've seen big android based screens that drop into cars that came with little screens and use a new bezel. It doesn't look like a new bezel will be easy, and those big android units have pretty bad reviews too.

I've seen other Ford models upgraded with the bigger oem screen later on, and it's always expensive.

Sponsored

mljohnson1973

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I actually emailed my dealers service department and was told the 12" will fit. It's the same size opening for both the 8" and 12" , it's just an added bezel to shrink it for the 8" . They are claiming the radios are VIN specific because of other features in each vehicle that it controls. They did not believe you'd be able to upgrade it through Ford initially but did say that could change.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's the same size opening for both the 8" and 12" , it's just an added bezel to shrink it for the 8" .
It doesn't appear to be as simple as a bezel insert. Looks like the entire front dash panel needs to be replaced.

leviticusw

Outer Banks
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis, Isuzu Trooper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Other pieces of software are connected to your screen including the info from the CAN bus. So the likelihood of an iPad or an android screen is very very far fetched unless you don’t mind loosing a shit ton of features. You’d likely be able to do say speed, rpm, coolant temp, etc. most of the basic things the CAN bus provides but nothing software specific., i.e., tilt, nav sharing etc.
Sponsored