jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes. 33s should fit on big bend. At least that’s what the numbers are telling us. I wouldnt steer too far above 33.3 and 11.2. Every tenth of the inch above that is getting too tight to spindle beyond what you’ll probably be comfortable with.

so in summary, math is telling us - stock big bend and OBX rims, youre good at 33.2x11.2. Anything wider, requires a rim change with a better offset to go to 33.2 x say 11.6. And if you go to 34x11.6 you may still be ok with just an offset as far as spindle goes, but MAY need to modify crash bars.

And any major off roading means all of the above becomes TBD. I can’t really calculate major articulation. Only what the wheel looks like at full lock.

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So many people worried about their limited tire choices on the Outer Banks wheels. Am I the only one that if I get the OB, I'll get 17" wheels and put tires on that? In my case, I'm thinking of going with the 18s for on-road daily driving and the 17s for off-road excursions. There's a little more up-front cost ($1000+ for the extra wheels), but I'll make up for it by not replacing K02-type tires as often. The AT tires could be a good winter tire option as well.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So many people worried about their limited tire choices on the Outer Banks wheels. Am I the only one that if I get the OB, I'll get 17" wheels and put tires on that? In my case, I'm thinking of going with the 18s for on-road daily driving and the 17s for off-road excursions. There's a little more up-front cost ($1000+ for the extra wheels), but I'll make up for it by not replacing K02-type tires as often. The AT tires could be a good winter tire option as well.
Well the thing is, by the time you get higher gearing, tires (and depending on your taste, steel bumpers) PLUS an extra set of wheels you may have exceeded BL pricing which makes you wonder if it’s worth it since you still aren’t getting a factory lift (which we cost quite a bit aftermarket)

although for me, I’m okay if my OBX build slightly exceeds a badlands build, but that’s only because I’m OCD about having painted flares and various parts match AMB. Any other color, besides that and shadow black, and I’d be in the BL camp. Only because I know I’ll need to wait a very long time to get paint grade flares and parts from Ford, then pay to actually paint them. And to match AMB is no easy task. It will take time, money, and expertise. Whereas anybody could upgrade wheels/tires on an OBX. It’s an easier path forward. But any lighter color on a BL seems like a no brainer if you’re going with all those add ons for an OBX

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You are not the only one, I've been wheel shopping already for 17's! The 7.5" width of the stock wheels is a killer also.

PrevCYBRTRKrez

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4dr Badlands, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. 33s should fit on big bend. At least that’s what the numbers are telling us. I wouldnt steer too far above 33.3 and 11.2. Every tenth of the inch above that is getting too tight to spindle beyond what you’ll probably be comfortable with.

so in summary, math is telling us - stock big bend and OBX rims, youre good at 33.2x11.2. Anything wider, requires a rim change with a better offset to go to 33.2 x say 11.6. And if you go to 34x11.6 you may still be ok with just an offset as far as spindle goes, but MAY need to modify crash bars.

And any major off roading means all of the above becomes TBD. I can’t really calculate major articulation. Only what the wheel looks like at full lock.
I am currently eye-balling some Fuel 18x9s with a +20mm offset. Trying to find a good tire size besides the 275/70/r17. Do you think a 33x12.5x17 would fit BD without lift? I know it will have some poke. My biggest concern it turning.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
the rim will have a 2.1" poke over stock. stock wheels are inset 0.5" from the front fender, so a 1.6" poke to rim, and 3.35" poke from flare to tire. for EACH side. ... clearance is ok from the spindle. you may need to modify/remove a crashbars. adding a lot of outward mass past the pivot point.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Don’t think I posted this here. But so excited. 33.2x11 vs stock tires .55” lift and better stance and flush tires to fenders. Steel bumper revealing more tread at corners. OBX will go from zero to hero. This is the perfect mini Sasquatch for daily use. And imagine that shadow black as AMB with blue pops on the fenders. Ahh!!

CAEEBD58-FFDF-4636-8591-9FED346E1F9D.jpeg

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2Fexploding-head.jpg

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well the thing is, by the time you get higher gearing, tires (and depending on your taste, steel bumpers) PLUS an extra set of wheels you may have exceeded BL pricing which makes you wonder if it’s worth it since you still aren’t getting a factory lift (which we cost quite a bit aftermarket)

although for me, I’m okay if my OBX build slightly exceeds a badlands build, but that’s only because I’m OCD about having painted flares and various parts match AMB. Any other color, besides that and shadow black, and I’d be in the BL camp. Only because I know I’ll need to wait a very long time to get paint grade flares and parts from Ford, then pay to actually paint them. And to match AMB is no easy task. It will take time, money, and expertise. Whereas anybody could upgrade wheels/tires on an OBX. It’s an easier path forward. But any lighter color on a BL seems like a no brainer if you’re going with all those add ons for an OBX
I wasn't thinking about changing the gearing or other things. I figure the V6 will be more than sufficient with tires that are only 1" larger than stock.

In my OB and BL builds, the BL comes out to a couple grand more than the OB. What would really be ideal for me would be an Outer Lands (Bad Banks?) There are some things of each we like better in the one and not the other. I am starting to lean more toward BL because it seems that it might make more sense to get the capability of BL for the little bit extra. Oh, and my pricing was based off the "free" 10-speed auto with the V6 upgrade in the Badlands was a mistake. If that's legit, I will definitely be going Badlands since it would be just hundreds more than my Outer Banks build.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wasn't thinking about changing the gearing or other things. I figure the V6 will be more than sufficient with tires that are only 1" larger than stock.

In my OB and BL builds, the BL comes out to a couple grand more than the OB. What would really be ideal for me would be an Outer Lands (Bad Banks?) There are some things of each we like better in the one and not the other. I am starting to lean more toward BL because it seems that it might make more sense to get the capability of BL for the little bit extra. Oh, and my pricing was based off the "free" 10-speed auto with the V6 upgrade in the Badlands was a mistake. If that's legit, I will definitely be going Badlands since it would be just hundreds more than my Outer Banks build.
Interestingly enough my OBX build is a couple hundred MORE than my Badlands build after factoring in tires...both 2.7 lux

high gearing (800) leather (2200) vs MGV on BL, steel bumpers (825) aux switch (195), and the auto isn’t free on OBX like a BL...and tires....and boom, OBX build slightly exceeds a BL. I’m basically exchanging a BL lift, front lockers and a disco bar for painted exterior parts, power seats, and what else, rear cup holders, carpeted interior, and a more preferred grille.

Problem is, for my OBX build, If the tires end up rubbing...and/or if the car is too low for my taste (I have no idea since I can’t see it in person) and I need a lift I’m really going to be kicking myself. Because now I’m be spending $ on an aftermarket lift and spending thousands more than a BL. But to play devils advocate, if I got a BL I’d eventually spend 2k+ getting paintable parts, painting them, and swapping the grille and rails for tube steps. So both options come with another 2k potential spend.

unfortunately I just can’t bring myself to pair AMB with badlands. It’s a high polished look applied to a rugged trim.I’d have to swap grille and figure out everything else. If anything the Wildtrak is the safest pick since I get the body colored handles, and black grille.

im going to probably stick to my gut and get the OBX with big tires and a slight lift from the tires. That should slot the ride height halfway to a badlands (given tires are 1” bigger than stock OBX and half inch bigger than stock BL). I think anything taller than that, including the badlands, and my wife won’t be able to ever drive the car when need be. She is 5-2. She actually had to stop in the middle of test driving a grand Cherokee because she was nervous with the ride height. Go figure. Kind of wish she could see these vehicles in person. If she can’t drive even a slightly lifted OBX, then I might as well have gotten a Sasquatch for myself. But I just won’t know before I need to order. Argh

Last edited:

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interestingly enough my OBX build is a couple hundred MORE than my Badlands build after factoring in tires...both 2.7 lux

high gearing (800) leather (2200) vs MGV on BL, steel bumpers (825) aux switch (195), and the auto isn’t free on OBX like a BL...and tires....and boom, OBX build slightly exceeds a BL. I’m basically exchanging a BL lift, front lockers and a disco bar for painted exterior parts, power seats, and what else, rear cup holders, carpeted interior, and a more preferred grille.

Problem is, for my OBX build, If the tires end up rubbing...and/or if the car is too low for my taste (I have no idea since I can’t see it in person) and I need a lift I’m really going to be kicking myself. Because now I’m be spending $ on an aftermarket lift and spending thousands more than a BL. But to play devils advocate, if I got a BL I’d eventually spend 2k+ getting paintable parts, painting them, and swapping the grille and rails for tube steps. So both options come with another 2k potential spend.

unfortunately I just can’t bring myself to pair AMB with badlands. It’s a high polished look applied to a rugged trim.I’d have to swap grille and figure out everything else. If anything the Wildtrak is the safest pick since I get the body colored handles, and black grille.

im going to probably stick to my gut and get the OBX with big tires and a slight lift from the tires. That should slot the ride height halfway to a badlands (given tires are 1” bigger than stock OBX and half inch bigger than stock BL). I think anything taller than that, including the badlands, and my wife won’t be able to ever drive the car when need be. She is 5-2. She actually had to stop in the middle of test driving a grand Cherokee because she was nervous with the ride height. Go figure. Kind of wish she could see these vehicles in person. If she can’t drive even a slightly lifted OBX, then I might as well have gotten a Sasquatch for myself. But I just won’t know before I need to order. Argh
Auto included with OBX, not with BL....unless I have a different build of B&P!

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Auto included with OBX, not with BL....unless I have a different build of B&P!
The 2.7L auto tranny is basically free on the BL. It is not free on the OBX since it is already included in the base price. This is a glaring item that many anticipate will be fixed in the updated B&P where the 2.7L option comes down some for the OBX

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.7L auto tranny is basically free on the BL. It is not free on the OBX since it is already included in the base price. This is a glaring item that many anticipate will be fixed in the updated B&P where the 2.7L option comes down some for the OBX
I must be missing something....every time I do BL build it adds $1595 (or so) to the price. How is it basically free on the BL. I do understand that its built into the price on the OBX, as it is on the Base 4DR and hope that there is a 2.7 price "correction" also on these particular trims.
Sponsored