First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
i've read through a lot of this post and it seems most of the info is around fitting larger tires on the big bend/obx. my question is, has anyone determined max tire size for badlands yet without sasquatch/lift? i love the reduced fender flares and really even the stock wheels on the BL vs badsquatch but i'd like to get the tires just outside the flares for the look im most interested in.
Sponsored

Stu baby

Outer Banks
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Audi
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is a great information thread for the OBX buyers. Thx

NC.BigBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Accord 2.0T
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So lets say that the tires ( 285/70/18) fit. Will the stock OBX gearing work? 3.73? Ive got the 2.7 v6 but I just don't want to run into issues down the road.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes. 33s should fit on big bend. At least that’s what the numbers are telling us. I wouldnt steer too far above 33.3 and 11.2. Every tenth of the inch above that is getting too tight to spindle beyond what you’ll probably be comfortable with.

so in summary, math is telling us - stock big bend and OBX rims, youre good at 33.2x11.2. Anything wider, requires a rim change with a better offset to go to 33.2 x say 11.6. And if you go to 34x11.6 you may still be ok with just an offset as far as spindle goes, but MAY need to modify crash bars.

And any major off roading means all of the above becomes TBD. I can’t really calculate major articulation. Only what the wheel looks like at full lock.
@jaruss01 apart from drafting on Layer 0 🤓 this thread is a fine piece of work that I was barely able to follow, partly due to all the updates. I am really glad to see this post though, as I'm concerned that the stock 255 tires on the BB won't look beefy enough for a summer and that I will be wanting something larger. It's great to see that 265/70 and even larger will fit.

Also most winters around these parts are 245 or even narrower if the rim allows, so it really does seem like an oddball tweener size.

Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to join this party so late. I have read this before but today I studied it closer and have a couple of questions. Please correct me if any of my assumptions are incorrect.

Given a stock badlands with 285 70 17's I do not have too many concerns with the crash bars when changing the tire size because they can be removed or replaced with ones that have more clearance.

Will increasing the tire size in height or width be a concern with interference from the upper A arm when using the stock wheels with +55 offset? I am considering 285 75 17 and 295 70 17 and if I interpreted the numbers correctly they lead me to believe it is going to be tight

If it is an issue then I assume it could be resolved by using wheels with a little less offset (like the Sasquatch wheels).

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yup. Another thing the math is telling us is that the particular sized tire is more flush to the flare. Also, Badlands rim is 8.5 on a 11.2 wide tire, OBX rim is 8.0 on a to-be 10.8 wide tire so it matching the proportions really well to a badlands tire/wheel combo. As far as ride height it will be half a step closer from an OBX to Badlands with less wheel gap and a bigger wheel.

To me, for my application, that’s a perfect balance without dealing with getting a Badlands with all the extra weight and GVWR issues. Could load it up with cargo and a cargo box. Looks good. Have tube steps. Not too high. Short wife could drive it. Visually looks great etc etc etc
[/QUOT
What is the offset on stock OBX wheels? On aftermarket wheels 18x9 what offset would I need to clear.....or would the stock wheels be sufficient for the 275 70r 18's? You might have covered this already.....my apologies if you have.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I may be naĂŻve, but my thought has been to get the OBX with sasquatch, then sell the tires for $100/each without driving them (renting trailer for pickup), and putting on some 33" KO2s. This way I get the lift/suspension/gearing maxed out but a better highway ride. The two drawbacks I see (other than more money), are needing to buy standard flares later and the rear break light will be extra high.

Also, reason I'm stuck on OBX instead of upgrading to BL is b/c it is the only way to get the dashboard/seat covering combo I want. Anyone else thinking the same?
Great minds think alike

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
no one will give you a dollar for a used tire Yes it’s technically used. Unless it’s a whackadoo tire shop or a dealer running loose
Just about every tire shop I've interacted with will buy (or barter for) your used tires, assuming they're a reasonably common size and have a lot of life remaining.

A few weeks after I bought my Tacoma, I took a new set of tires to the local Big-O (it's a nationwide chain) and bartered my OEM tires in lieu of mount and balance fees. Yeah, I could have sold my OEM tires on Craigslist for more, but it was an easy swap.

Many places are open to trades like this. You just have to ask.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to join this party so late. I have read this before but today I studied it closer and have a couple of questions. Please correct me if any of my assumptions are incorrect.

Given a stock badlands with 285 70 17's I do not have too many concerns with the crash bars when changing the tire size because they can be removed or replaced with ones that have more clearance.

Will increasing the tire size in height or width be a concern with interference from the upper A arm when using the stock wheels with +55 offset? I am considering 285 75 17 and 295 70 17 and if I interpreted the numbers correctly they lead me to believe it is going to be tight

If it is an issue then I assume it could be resolved by using wheels with a little less offset (like the Sasquatch wheels).
Current belief is:
Given a stock Badlands, increasing tire width on factory wheels may be a concern, unless you are going with wheels that have less offset than the factory Badlands wheels (+55mm).
This is the reason the 315 Squatch tires are on a 8.5" wheel with 30mm offset.

Of all the trims, the Badlands standard wheel has the greatest amount of backspacing. Approx 6.7" bs. That means it is the tighest fit of the bunch in relation to the suspension components.
BB, BD, OBX come in around 6.42"
Base & Squatch are around 6"

Current thought is you can go up a 34" tall tire before having to mod/remove crash bars.
Want to go wider than 285's? You need new wheels....30mm offset approx, on a 8.5" wheel.

Tiresize.com has an offset calculator and convertor that has a good but basic visual aid if you want to compare different wheel widths and or tire widths.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Current belief is:
Given a stock Badlands, increasing tire width on factory wheels may be a concern, unless you are going with wheels that have less offset than the factory Badlands wheels (+55mm).
This is the reason the 315 Squatch tires are on a 8.5" wheel with 30mm offset.

Of all the trims, the Badlands standard wheel has the greatest amount of backspacing. Approx 6.7" bs. That means it is the tighest fit of the bunch in relation to the suspension components.
BB, BD, OBX come in around 6.42"
Base & Squatch are around 6"

Current thought is you can go up a 34" tall tire before having to mod/remove crash bars.
Want to go wider than 285's? You need new wheels....30mm offset approx, on a 8.5" wheel.

Tiresize.com has an offset calculator and convertor that has a good but basic visual aid.
Thank you sir! Based on my understanding of the info available this is what I was thinking.

I must say that I have learned a great deal of useful information here on B6G. I never really understood there are so many variable that go into determining if a wheel/tire combo will fit a given application. The nerd in me (the big part) enjoys learning this stuff

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you sir! Based on my understanding of the info available this is what I was thinking.

I must say that I have learned a great deal of useful information here on B6G. I never really understood there are so many variable that go into determining if a wheel/tire combo will fit a given application. The nerd in me (the big part) enjoys learning this stuff
LOL, fantastic Signature! Words to live by apparently!

JustDandy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 2020
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
On the OBX stock , if you go with a rim such as a Rhino bead and nitto what would be the best sizes to maximum the look? 17" rims and 33", 34"? does pulling off the painted fenders get any better?

Cliff

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is directly from Form.com. Didn’t see it posted in this thread.

No official specs on backspacing yet.

27309E29-D8F2-4F7A-B4EA-AA5368D4B964.png
According to ford.com the BL comes with 255/70R18 All-Terrain A/T (32”)

Cliff

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for all the work!!!!
According to Ford... the OBX has the largest (non Sasquatch) tires.

Ford Bronco 12/13 UPDATE - Updated control arms not just for Sasquatch 33s fitting OBX - 33.2x11.2 (275/70r18) close to max size after Ranger testing Bronco_tires
Sponsored