First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was planning on the Bronco Sas being my one and only vehicle- as my daily driver for work- for the next 2 years until I retire. Then my daily when I retire. My current commute is 85 miles a day round trip. It's a long drive and costly for gas- but working I can afford it.

I anticipated- perhaps incorrectly that the Bronco would achieve the same gas mileage as the F150. it gets quite a bit less. And it gets quite a bit less than the Jeep Wrangler- rated at 19/25. They are both bricks- so why the Bronco so much less?

It may not seem like much but even though I can afford the gas while I am working, that little bit of extra gas- difference from 17 to 25 is a lot living on a SSC budget. Even though I will have no loans and no debt to spend so much on fuel has me concerned. $50-70 a month to me is a lot for extra gas. Ya, I could get a Prius or Maverick but no way- I am too old school.

I am re-thinking to keep the cash and pay the fuel for my current 97 Wrangler and keep it forever. 40K pays for quite a few years of gas. It nets about 19 MPG. Or Get a new Jeep Wrangler with the V6. Even the 2.3L and manual or automatic Bronco is rated only at 21. I really wanted this iconic Bronco although being so close to retirement and the MPG it may not be possible for me.
My 2015 Wrangler that was lifted and had 35” tires with v6 and auto only got about 15 highway and city.........so the Bronco is about right with more power and better ride.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If it makes you feel better, know that it could take regular. 17 mpg is like the equivalent of 20 mpg on premium, cost wise. My wifes little S60 sedan with the high strung T6 engine (turbo/supercharged) gets 19.9-20.0 mpg around town / short spurts on highway during commute. So the equivalent of a sasquatched bronco. Although I still have my doubts if we will see 17 mpg real world city.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it makes you feel better, know that it could take regular. 17 mpg is like the equivalent of 20 mpg on premium, cost wise. My wifes little S60 sedan with the high strung T6 engine (turbo/supercharged) gets 19.9-20.0 mpg around town / short spurts on highway during commute. So the equivalent of a sasquatched bronco. Although I still have my doubts if we will see 17 mpg real world city.
Thanks for the tip. It's the only way I can afford to drive my current 97 Wrangler. I have had high performance vehicles in the past that take premium. It's very expensive for gas. Premium in my area is close to $1.00 more a gallon. Most high performance cars like Mustang, Camaro, Mustang, GTI, Civic SI- even cars with the 4 bangers need premium. I had a 2016 V6 Camaro manual transmission for a couple of years. It was so good bang for the buck- 330 HP, limited slip, over 30 MPG on regular gas. It might be the only high performance car that takes regular gas. It was fun but too much upper end and not enough torque low to be fast off the line.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Choispics

Choispics

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 & 2021 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Adding a new reliable economy car to my household contributed nicely to my quality of life. Wife isn't complaining much about my old vehicles anymore. And it's nice to get 30+ mpg on the times when you don't need the utility of a larger vehicle or 4x4. Recommend the 4x4 + economy car combo if two vehicles are in the cards.
That’s why I keep my Focus!

OP
OP
Choispics

Choispics

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 & 2021 Denali
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's interesting to me that people would buy a vehicle they can't afford the gas for.
It is called “saving”. Saving for your child, parents, future, charity..etc.

Reactions: Jdc

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A few miles to the gallon is insignificant compared to the price of most new vehicles. It practically never makes financial sense to buy new. It is not the Bronco that is the problem if pennies need to be pinched, it is the 'new'. I am at the financial point in my life where I don't pay attention to the total on the gas pump at the end, haven't for a decade or more, doesn't really matter, whatever it is I need it for transportation (or want it for pleasure cruising). I suspect that is how most people buying the higher end units feel. They're still throwing singles at the nudie bar, not twenties, but not living paycheck to paycheck either. What concerns them/me is the range. You really cannot have a, what did you call it, a 'go anywhere vehicle'? If anywhere is more than half a tank away, with 17 MPG and a small fuel tank, it isn't exactly getting you over the next horizon and back. That is the problem with the economy rating, of course a larger tank would lessen your GVWR and increase that range, but life involves tradeoffs sometimes. I suspect that half the griping or more world disappear with an extra five gallons of fuel capacity. Also Netflix is terrible and should be cancelled anyway, just like they cancel just about every show they, well...show.
Range is a fair critique.

I also agree with the "new car" thoughts. When we first got married, had a couple of kids in day care, a new mortgage, and a commute...it was "used Toyota Camry" time. lol.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

People in this forum say that the fuel economy of a 2.7l with Sas is 17 mpg combined... and the gas price hits $5 per gallon here in California, omg o_O
I don't think I can drive it as a daily driver. Are you guys gonna drive it for daily or just for the weekends?
I think this will probably be my out. if I don’t love it to death when it arrives, then I am not going to drive something with this kind of gas mileage. I’ll keep the 35 mpg vehicle I have until an electric comes out. I love how the torque feels on the electric. It’s super fun

Sponsored

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 F150 4x4 SB, 16 f150, 15 powerstroke,94 Honda A
Your Bronco Model
Base
My powerstroke gets better mileage than that!

20210618_095201.jpg

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I moved in May to see my parents for a bit and save some money, and I miss CA very much. It's not perfect by any means, but what place is? It's home to me, even if some on here rip it shreds. 😂
I spent a few years living in CA while I was in the Marines. It's expensive but it's also an awesome place.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is called “saving”. Saving for your child, parents, future, charity..etc.
"Saving" is actually not buying a new Bronco you can't afford.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Choispics Being able to be happy with a vehicles mpgs is quite subjective. Different driving needs requires different decisions. I understand that 17 mpgs at $5 a gallon is much different than 17 mpgs at $2.75. Make the decision that's good for you, and not for us. We all know what they say about opinions.
Sponsored