Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey y’all,

So little backstory, I’m coming to the end of a deployment from an undisclosed sandy location. I’m coming home to no vehicle, so that’s priority #1.

I have a Bronco on reserve, so I only need a car for the next year or so. Which is leading to me looking for cheaper vehicles.

So I’m browsing all the car apps, and craigslist, and I come across this 1999 Mustang GT with 185,000 miles on it. Asking for 3 grand.

I’m new to the Ford world, and I’m kinda skeptical. I have been learning a ton from the other users on this forum so here I am reaching out for some advice on this situation. Is it worth my time? Thanks guys!

Oh and I’m stationed in North Dakota so that right there may be reason enough a reason to forget about it... but she’s soooo pretty ?

2F6601A7-EEA8-4717-A666-7F000FA01EBD.jpeg
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At that age, it's way more about how the car was treated than what it was originally. You could have a car that was perfectly maintained and treated well be 100% reliable and great to drive at 185k miles, or you could have something that was beat and neglected be rough and problematic at 80k.

That 4.6 2V can run for a long time if it's cared for - it's the same basic engine they put in all of the Crown Vic taxis and police cars that were designed to run forever.

Since this one is covered in dumb stickers, stupid headlights, and all of the other junk people with more time than sense put on their cars, I have little faith that it was meticulously maintained and babied.

It'd be a fun second car, something to tinker with, fix up, and fool around in. I wouldn't trust it as a DD that I need operational to get me to work until I had time to go through evvveeeerrrrything - compression, fuel system, charging system, fluids, suspension.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had a 97 2v 4.6 and it was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Bought it with 170k and solid it with 200k. I wouldn't let the stickers put you off of it. I put similar stickers on mine because I liked and it made it stand out from the rest. I was very proud of that car.
IMG_20161201_104704.jpg

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At $3k, buy it and Coyote swap it with a brand new engine from Ford. Nearly twice the horsepower and better engine and still be in it for $10k.
Sponsored